Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i buy a console?

Options
  • 04-03-2004 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I have a pc with the ps2 controller linked up to it and I am wondering if I should buy a console?

I dont know if it would be worthwhile. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Listen to your heart and have the courage to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Dont buy a console. PCs are far better than consoles. if ur into those crap sports games then get a console

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Consoles are better for certain games types like driving, beat em ups and as mentioned sports games.(Im sure theres exceptions to this rule but meh)

If your into those kinds then go ahead but if you prefer FPS's certain RPG etc then a PC is your man(or machine as it were)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

get a better pc and broadband.

the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

I have a real good pc (Radeon 9800 pro etc) and broadband but I was just wondering since GTA: San Andreas is only going to be on PS2 for about a year then it MAY go to pc. This really bothers me in a gaming kind of way and is forcing me to think abotu buying one. I mean, I used to play pro evo 3 on mates ps2 all the time, then it came to pc and i downloaded patches etc and it is just unreal now. Could never play it on ps2 now. Same with Colin Mcrae Rally 4. Now that is coming to pc and I imagine will kick ass. So is buying a ps2 mainly for gran turismo 4 and new GTA: SAN Andreas worth buying???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

there's nothing like slobbing out in front of a big tv with a console game.
    on the other hand, there's nothing like running the latest game at twice the horizontal & vertical res that a tv is capable of displaying with 4x aa turned on.

consoles are more of a social machine as well, definitely buy one if you have friends/family/flatmates that are up for a bit of 4 way acshun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Consoles are better for certain games types like driving,

Thats where you are so VERY wrong.
    Consoles offer arcade style kiddies racers.
    PC offers realistic racing simulations and 100s of free mods for these simulations for free ofcourse.
    Please dont mention GT3 as a sim.
    It is arcade 100% compared to stuff on PC.
    Also PC has much better implementation of Force feedback and non feedback steering wheels than any console.
    Try playing NASCAR 2003 online with 41 [yes 41] other players and you will soon get the message.
    So no consoles are NOT better for driving games.
    If you want arcade rubish driving titles then go for a console .

Its down to whatever your into but i say stay with your PC.
    One saving grace for the PS2 atleast WAS pro evo soccer but noe thats on PC anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

, I used to play pro evo 3 on mates ps2 all the time, then it came to pc and i downloaded patches etc and it is just unreal now

i have that, havent gotten ne patches.
    ive ati mobility radeon 9600 , amd 3000, 512 ram and it rubs slow when i put graphics to full, or even mediocore , i play it at low i think !
    it goes slow when balls in air ,
    where can i get patches ? is there many ?

i have a ps2, graphics are weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

upgrade ur machine instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Buy a GameCube, play nintendo games, be happy

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Placebo
    i have that, havent gotten ne patches.
    ive ati mobility radeon 9600 , amd 3000, 512 ram and it rubs slow when i put graphics to full, or even mediocore , i play it at low i think !
    it goes slow when balls in air ,
    where can i get patches ? is there many ?

i have a ps2, graphics are weak.

www.evo-web.co.uk

www.pesinsight.com

www.thewolfpespc.com

and go to konami.com to get the latest pro evo soccer 3 pc patch to fix errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Dcully
    PC offers realistic racing simulations and 100s of free mods for these simulations for free ofcourse.
    Also PC has much better implementation of Force feedback and non feedback steering wheels than any console.
    Try playing NASCAR 2003 online with 41 [yes 41] other players and you will soon get the message.

One saving grace for the PS2 atleast WAS pro evo soccer but noe thats on PC anyways :)

Maybe some people like playing 'stupid arcade racers' instead of having to read reams of text and stats and have to restart each race as soon as you clip a corner.
    Personally (and i own a pretty powerful PC) id rather sit down and play gran turismo than play the kind of game that youll lose a race in if your wheel scrapes off the grass for a split second, just because its 'realistic'. Realism doesnt always equal fun.

You think nascar 2003 for the pc is not arcade?

You do realise it is made by EA Sports don't you?

That is, the makers of Fifa 2004 i.e. the biggest arcade football game around i.e. nothing at all like realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

get urself a nes with 4 controllers (+4 player adaptor) and get your hands on super off-road... then get a few friends over for a few beers... lethal ... the rest of the consoles are for kiddies ...

if you cant get the nes then get a gamecube... does the same job - but with better graphics , you DONT need a 4 player adapter!! - get Mario Kart and repeat the friends process - lethal <i think everyone will agree with me on the graphics point>

:)

You do realise it is made by EA Sports don't you?

LOL,im talking about NASCAR racing 2003 by Papyrus not EA .
    That shows what you know lol.Im not talking about EAs laughable Nascar game.

Check this link and learn.

http://www.papy.com/

I take the point about you wanting fun racing games but this thing about touching a strip of grass is and spinning is also very laughable.

Have you played Grand prix legends?
    Have you played Nascar 2003 [by papyrus]
    Have you played Live for speed [no not need for speed]
    Have you played GTR 2002.

Until you do i suggest you dont try to comment on racing SIMS .
    GT3/4 is fine if thats what you are into but it was said the PC is no good for driving games ,im merely correcting this assumption.
    Infact i too play GT3 and enjoy it but i by far prefer realistic sims ,especially online.

PS: Michaelangelo,im still laughing at your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

project gotham 2, xbox live

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I agree with what somebody said above... buy a Gamecube and play Nintendo games, most of all other games will be better on the PC.

San Andreas will be out eventually, and you know it'll be better; they're only releasing it on the PS2 first because they're under contract - not an actual professional (game making) choice then.

Until you do i suggest you dont try to comment on racing SIMS .
    GT3/4 is fine if thats what you are into but it was said the PC is no good for driving games ,im merely correcting this assumption.
    Infact i too play GT3 and enjoy it but i by far prefer realistic sims ,especially online.

PS: Michaelangelo,im still laughing at your reply :)
    And im merely tryiing to point out that not everyone wants to play hyper realistic, (for hyper realistic read = boring as f*ck) racing sims. Just because other people think differently and choose to play different racing games than you, it doesnt mean you have to act like an "im so 1337 because i play fanny mctwatmunchers racing and youve never heard of it" condescending asswanker. Dont be so ignorant for gods sake, theyre only games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

fanny mctwatmunchers racing

ahahahaha

deadly.

And im merely tryiing to point out that not everyone wants to play hyper realistic, (for hyper realistic read = boring as f*ck) racing sims. Just because other people think differently and choose to play different racing games than you, it doesnt mean you have to act like an "im so 1337 because i play fanny mctwatmunchers racing and youve never heard of it" condescending asswanker. Dont be so ignorant for gods sake, theyre only games.

For a start grow up and drop the childish name calling.
    Secondly you are talking about and criticising racing sims .
    As i said unless you know what your talking about ,for your own sake please dont try.

I ask you again,have you played any of the titles ive mentioned?
    I dont preach about things i know nothing about.
    So i ask you what is your point?

Secondly i play and enjoy non simulations also.
    Im merely replying to what was said previously that PC is not good for driving games .
    Im not being arrogant ,im stating the facts .
    If i offended anyone then im sorry ,but i fail to see why you resort to childish name calling for gods sake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you've got a PC don't bother with an xbox. Theres only 3 decent games on it that aren't already on the PC (Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden and PGR 2)

It's a choice than of PS2 and GC.

I'd go for a GC. Theres far more and better exclusives on it than the PS2.

However the PS2 has ICO and FFX.

Do what I did. Buy a GC and a PS2 :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Do what I did. Buy a GC and a PS2 :ninja:

That's what I did too :D

However...I'm sorta maybe half thinkin about getting an Xbox, maybe.... I could come up with a better use for €200 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    If you've got a PC don't bother with an xbox. Theres only 3 decent games on it that aren't already on the PC (Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden and PGR 2)
    (snip)
    Do what I did. Buy a GC and a PS2

LOL, as ever someone who doesn't own an Xbox is an expert on how many decent games are on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He is wrong to say that consoles are better for certain types of racing games? You're saying that PCs are better for every single type of racing game? OK.
    PC offers realistic racing simulations and 100s of free mods for these simulations for free ofcourse.[/quote]

Confused. Are you arguing that arcade style racers are for kids? Are you contradicting your first point by saying that the PC doesn't have an arcade racer that can compare to the consoles' efforts?

Funny you see it that way, considering it boasts one of the most robust physics engines of any racing series, and considering the amount of data they received from the manufacturers regarding the performance and handling of their cars (not to mention the stuff they compiled themselves - recording the invididual sounds of different engines, fercchristssake!). Fine, you don't have to put on your seatbelt before you start the engine like you do in PC virtual driving lessons software, but its not arcade by any stretch of the imagination. Could you furnish me with some examples of PC games that offer an improved sense of realism? And try not to mention F1 games, because lets face it, nobody here as driven an F1 car at 300kmph around Monza in real life.

Yes, you will get the message. You'll get lots of messages, mostly consisting of badly spelt insults and fartk jokes from the 14 year old americans NASCAR games inevitably attract.

Try playing PGR2, a game that not only has tracks in shapes other than oval, a community of people with a mental age above three and a fantastic singleplayer game to boot, too. And lets nto forget the most amazing online integration ever seen in a videogame.
    For a start grow up and drop the childish name calling.

Pot, kettle, black.
    I ask you again,have you played any of the titles ive mentioned?
    I dont preach about things i know nothing about.

I ask you, have you played Ridge Racer Type 4? Have you played F-Zero GX? Have you played PGR2?

Im saying i enjoy console racers [yes i do have a PS2 and XBOX ,and i have played PGR2 both on and offline]
    PC has many arcade racers but has a lot more sims too.
    This is why i say PC is the better driving format,it has best of both worlds.
    You are trying to make this into a consoleVPC debate which i will not enter into.
    Both are superb at what they do.

That is all im trying to say.

About GT3,it has no damage modeling or tyre wear modeling.
    It is a very good game,i dont dispute that,i play it and PGR2 .
    It is an arcade title that is slightly more realistic than other console offerings and is marketed as a console sim.
    It is by no means a sim compared to any PC sim and unless you have played them you cannot comment.
    Maybe you have tried them,but you obviously did not play Nascar racing 2003.
    If you did you would realise Nascar race on road coarses as well as ovals.
    You would also know that swearing by test or teamspeak is an auto-kick/ban from the server for the culprit.
    You would also know that most servers have a ranking limit of which you must reach.This ranking system is based on the amount of wrecks per laps you have while online,it is all registered on your account .
    If you dont have the qualifications for a server you wont get on it.
    Infact simracers play the mods that are built around existing physics engines form various sims more so than the default games.
    The main sim creators are Papyrus and ISI .
    These guys know all about the modding scene and built their physics engine to cater for modders .
    From Papyrus and ISI titles i have 3 games and 42 mods for them.

There are 1000s of leagues run around the world playing these sims and mods.
    I ,amongst other guys ran a league for 2 years and took part in many others.

I wonder why you are getting so up tight about.
    I like console racers but prefer PC ones,arcade style and simulation alike.

pot,kettleblack you say?
    Where did i resort to namecalling?

Take a chill pill bibleman and lighten up please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You are trying to make this into a consoleVPC debate which i will not enter into.
    Both are superb at what they do.

No, you made it into a console vs PC debate. I was merely balancing your fanatical stance regarding PC games with a console-biased opinion.
    About GT3,it has no damage modeling or tyre wear modeling.
    It is a very good game,i dont dispute that,i play it and PGR2 .
    It is an arcade title that is slightly more realistic than other console offerings and is marketed as a console sim.

GT3 contains tyre wear modelling.

And I'd ask you if you could, in your next reply, furnish me with some examples of PC racing games that offer a more realistic experence to GT3.
    I wonder why you are getting so up tight about.
    I like console racers but prefer PC ones,arcade style and simulation alike.

Please. This is the internet, I don't get uptight about anything. You may picture me sitting at my desk, hammering angry words into my keyboard while steam billows from my ears, but I'm not.
    pot,kettleblack you say?
    Where did i resort to namecalling?

You haven't quite resorted to name-calling, but you haven't taken opposing arguments very gracefully, have you? :)
    Take a chill pill bibleman and lighten up please :)

Pot, kettle, black.

(I kill me)

And I'd ask you if you could, in your next reply, furnish me with some examples of PC racing games that offer a more realistic experence to GT3.QUOTE]

Here you go bibleman :)
    GT3 is a sweet game but please do check these links below.

http://lfs.racesimcentral.com/

http://www.simbin.com/games/gtr/index.html

http://revolution.drivingitalia.net/portal/

http://www.scgtgermany.com/GSMF/news.htm

http://www.papy.com/

http://www.onlineracin.com/pwf/

http://www.m4driving.sm/index.php?lang=en

http://www.simracingworld.com/index/

There you go m8,have a nice read.
    I really do hope we can keep things civil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

the GTA series was always released on ps2 first for whoever said that... and it always took around 6 months for it to be released on pc, so why say that now that the san andreas one is coming out?

Pro evolution soccer 4 is supposedly being made predominately for the pc i heard? (due to the bad porting issues with 3 for alot of people)

pity as pro evo for the pc is the best soccer game (and with it put on 1280x1024 full everything graphical wise is superior to the ps2) i have ever played, the ps2 version had all the gameplay and graphics were sweet, but playing it in such a high res with full detail brings the excellent gameplay and sweet sweet graphics together... not to forget about wolfs patch that gives you uniforms/names/ and pretty much everything else you can think of that was copyrighted out by fifa..

Should you buy a console? do whatever the fùck you want, why do you need other peoples justification

I bought an xbox and have barely used it though, apart from Star wars KOTOR and tony hawks underground (i had completed kotor numerous times before it was even released on pc :p) had a ps2 for pro evo but brother took that back to scotland with him and since it was released on the pc there was no need to buy a ps2

as ive said, do what you wish... my opinion isnt going to gratify you getting one or not either way :)

Sorry Dcully, didnt mean to let fly with the insults like that!!
    Boards.ie forever!! *echo* ever..ever...ever.

• Advertisement

No hassles at all Deadwing.
    You have to be applauded for posting here and saying this,fair play :)
    If i enflamed the issue i apologise for it.

Advertisement