Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lateral G's? Can someone explain this to me?

Options
  • 04-03-2004 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Lateral G's read about them on some car site, last i remember seeing it was on the koenigsegg web site (lovely car by the way) and it think i seen it some where else in relation to an BMW M3 (some day i will own one, some day).

If anyone could explain or have diagrams i'd appresiate it.

Thanks,

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

G's are a rate of acceleration. 1 G is the same acceleration as that of an object in earths gravity (9.81 m/s^2). So 2 Gs would be 19.82 m/s^2.
    (You probably know that, but I gotta start somewhere)

When a car (or anything) travels in a curved path, there is an acceleration in the direction of the radius of the turn. You feel it as centripital (or centrifugal force), wich is F=Mv^2/r. v is velocity (meter/s), M is mass, and r is turn radius (meters). Divide this by the mass of the object, and you get lateral acceleration.

It simply is a measure of traction and the velcity the object can travel at a given turn radius.

F-1 machines break 2g's, F-16s can sustain something like 9g's , and the M3 (IIRC) was the first production car to break 1g. I could be wrong about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Laymans terms

Lateral G is the 'force' pushing you into the ditch as you try to 'white knuckle ride' around a tight bend :D !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

both of you thanks for the reply's, i think i should have payed more attention in physics might have helped.
    i taught it had to do with gravity alright but i was thinking it might have been a measure for downforce.
    thanks anyway

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by KoNiT
    Laymans terms

Lateral G is the 'force' pushing you into the ditch as you try to 'white knuckle ride' around a tight bend :D !!

Nicely put!

Advertisement