Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource probing?

• 04-03-2004 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Funny thing happened tonight.

Was busy surfing away on my laptop when my wireless access went down completely.

Went downstairs to check the other pc (wireless) - down aswell

Turned on my main pc upstairs (plugged into router) and the net was working fine.

Thought it might have been a result of my new firewall 'outpost' on the laptop - turned it off , net still dead.

Interestingly though , the wireless connection was 'excellent' on both machines and
    it was transfering info even though i couldn't get on the internet.

Did a search for spyware with up to date adaware - none found

Went back down to try the downstairs pc and suddenly wireless access had been restored

1 thing

Someone at 212.17.32.1 and 212.17.32.2
    had been probing my connection.

Checked it out and it was a netsource IP..

Is my pc compromised?
    Is this anything to do with netsource?
    Or just a random hacker? [Bit of a co-incidence though]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Those are just the netsource DNS servers. Nothing to do with your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

But simply probing/port-scanning wouldn't cause your INTERNAL network to drop connections?!

Have you checked your security logs for attempted access? Try rotating your passwords on your externally visible machines too, including your router, if whoever scanned you got into your router they may have tampered with your settings?

Just some suggestions!
    Zoro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

change the password on your router, and disable remote admin on it, if you havn;'t done that already.

Other than that, there's nothing you can do.

Advertisement