Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Councils... and what you'd like to see done in your school.

Options
  • 05-03-2004 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Okay, slag me... whatever. Done? Good. Right, in a fit of "giving something back" I've decided to run for President of the Student Council in my school... I'll post more tomorrow but what sorta things do you guys think I should campaign for / about... what kind of things do you want changed in your own schools? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

the student council at my school does jacksh*t.
    they have no power or say in what happens with the school. they've made some recomendations over the years and as soon as it looks like was going to get through it gets shot down by some teacher with something shoved up their ass.
    the honor commite has even less power. all they do is talk about the problems with the honor of the school being violated and what to do about it, but the catch is they can't pass any ruleings on anything. at lest the student gov. and get us free food and somtimes shortened school hours.

my recomendation to you is to start small with your election promisses. one's you know that will be able to get passed through the school gov. farily quickly. second, make friends with the people that matter i.e. the one's who over see the whole thing. third make your self stand out . forth, come up with some of the reforms that you are thinking of making and ask a teacher who is invloved in the student gov. if any of them would be workable, before the election so that if you win you can put those through as soon as you get in.

hell listening to npr and reading random books finally paided off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I think that promising to get the student council to back anyone who has a complaint against a teacher(a valid one, not something along the lines of 'I didn't have my homework done, so the teacher gave me detention.' :rolleyes: ) could be appreciated. The only complaint I had against my school is that nobody with power listened to any complaints against members of the faculty, no matter how valid, and I have come to believe that this is true of many schools. However, a lot of pressure from students, especially the student council, changed this. Obviously, fixing problems with teachers(teachers being late for class, teachers not explaining things in their entirety, teachers accusing students of things they didn't do etc.)is important to many students so promising to do so in your campaign could be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i was at the student council in my school last year. they can vary greatly. some of them can be really excellent and actually get things done and others completely suck and are just there for elected people to whine. it depends on the president, and on the faculty and their attitude towards the council.
    i agree with freakydeadgirl. completely.
    hell listening to npr and reading random books finally paided off.
    and i also agree with that. ah, npr.

so, in conclusion, go for it, and try your best but don't be too disappointed if the school doesn't allow you to get exactly what you want done done. but it's a great way to be involved with the administration at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

ask teachers to be human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

I agree with freakydeadgirl. Thats about all you can do. If your school takes the idea of student council seriously, then that plan should work well, if your school doesn't then, well, theres really nothing you can do, unless you can get the majority of the students to put the faculty under pressure for a bigger say in the running of the school. However if the students in your school are as apathetic as they are in mine, well... good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I'm voting Bob, if only to piss off the hippies. That, and he's the only capitalist going for election. Can't let the commies have power anywhere, y'know. Slippery slope and all.

/me ignores Cuba and China totally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I have a fair few problem with my school. Just stupid rules and stuff. To be fair I think it's a nice school, but it could be better.
    For example, they have this rule that you must wear jumpers during the winter term. You might think that's fair enough but it's not really. It's completely ridiculous. Y'see the thing is... when I heard winter term, I assumed winter. Well it turns out that the school's definition of winter is October to March. I got in trouble and everything in February when I wasn't wearing the jumper during the morning. It was a REALLY hot day, and I had just walked two miles to school so I think they should have excused me really.

It's rules like that that I don't like. I just don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

it promotes conformity. supposedly they make everyone wear the exact same thing regardless of anything because it creates a quasi-amiable equilibrium within the student body; where no one is better than anyone else and etc. [see also; power trip]

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Slippery slope? One of the teachers in my school has a framed photo of a sign saying "Warning: Slippery Slope" I didn't bother doing my homework once and he took the picture and plonked it down in front of me... Psh
    The student council in my school has no power. In fact, I don't even know who's on it. But it might be different in yours. If you think you can make a difference, or if you're just looking for something impressive to put on your CV, then why not?

About the student council elections in myself and Bob's school: The mudslinging is hilarious. It should hot up as we get closer to the voting, on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'll rig the election .....

for a price

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

it is rumoured that bob is rigging the election or at least paying third years to pull down opponents posters.
    though seeing as the posters they replaced then with were mocking Bob I think it's more likely that they just said that to further incriminate Bob

Originally posted by Zounds
    it is rumoured that bob is rigging the election or at least paying third years to pull down opponents posters.
    though seeing as the posters they replaced then with were mocking Bob I think it's more likely that they just said that to further incriminate Bob
    Oh that's not a rumour, it's quite true. Bob is amazingly corrupt and a tyrant. He will rule with an iron fist. And saying it here doesn't matter, as you third years don't have the vote (Har) and the only people with a vote that read here are myself, Bob, and that commie Lynch, who isn't voting for Bob anyway. The system works :D

EDIT: So he didn't win. But he's Vice-President. And he beat most of the commies. So there.

Advertisement