Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming the Stinger...

Options
  • 05-03-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

How the hell do you get it to lock on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

they cant lock on the game engine wont allow it

soooooooo you have to aim and hope for the best (near impossible against jets)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

At the moment under the Battlefield 1942 engine you cannot have something fly of its own accord/AI.
    One mod has been able to do it where you paint the target then using a system of engines within the rocket send it off to the painted target. However it has proved laggy, hence the reason its not in other mods.

The Battlefield Vietnam engine [its a hybrid of the BF1942 engine] does however have heat seeking missiles. As nobody execpt a few reviewers and EA/Dice staff have played it I cannot comment too much on how it works, but give it 2 weeks and we shall know.

Its jsut a case of using it like a gun. Fire that bit ahead of the chopper/jet just enough for the stinger to hit it. Once again, as always, practice makes perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Winters,

Just when you mention BFV will there be a server?

The Fairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

You move the cursor over the target, right mouse click and then left click to fire. Oh wait, that's a different, *better* game. sigh.

As was said, bf doesn't do guided missiles. The stingers have a pretty wide trigger + blast radius, so getting kills with them is quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I think its time to call in MR BLUEDRAX........He could snipe ya within a mile radius using those damn stingers!!!!!:D Cough **** Cough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Originally posted by MR DAZ
    I think its time to call in MR BLUEDRAX........He could snipe ya within a mile radius using those damn stingers!!!!!:D Cough **** Cough!

Just aim ahead of your target.
    It's also helps if your in a good position, like underneath their flight path, with ammo crates nearby and a good wall to hide behind when they come gunning for you with a vengeance.

BlueDrax

PS Stingers are useless against infantry but can be used to trick them into taking cover while you run away...I mean, call for reinforcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by ssh
    You move the cursor over the target, right mouse click and then left click to fire. Oh wait, that's a different, *better* game. sigh.

Yes, but as a game Battlefield 1942 was not made for the modern day weapons. Hence the reason no proper ai guided missiles as such. Battlefield Vietnam though is made for modern-ish weapons and will therefor knock many socks off.

On account of the server, I cant say. Ask Rev, I'd say it should be changed over. Seeing as though the DesertCombat team/Trauma Studio's will be working on a standalone game with Dice i cant see too many patches for DC coming our way. I'll say they will finish up with 1.0 and leave it at that. Though, I can be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Are they in any way effective against tanks/jeeps?

And surely it wouldn't have been too hard to have a mode where you right-click, the missile launches and you're put in control like the cruise missile and the SAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Are they in any way effective against tanks/jeeps?

And surely it wouldn't have been too hard to have a mode where you right-click, the missile launches and you're put in control like the cruise missile and the SAM.

Na they are not you dont have enough to take out even 1 tank

And it wouldnt be that hard but as someone here said it lags the game up because the engine wasnt built to cope with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Imo self-tracking stingers would unbalance things too much. They should really be dumb-fire like they are now, or else there should be a specific thing you can do as a chopper/plane pilot to be able to avoid them. Otherwise, you end up making the air side of things totally ineffective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

U'll need flares, and a good radar on the HUD of the aircraft.

Advertisement