Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Top- Direct airfiltration engines?

• 05-03-2004 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Please excuse me if i got the terminolgy wrong but what are the engines called that have the airfilter directly attached on to then.....often poking out of the bonnet....almost rectangular in shape......some have 3 holes on the front?......when the car revs there are flaps on the holes which flick back and forth as when the car is being rev'd and then is at a stand-still?.....sorry that the description is terrible......but i just love them....one was featured in the first fast and the furious ....Vin Deasels car...teh black one?...had it protruding out of the bonnet.....if anyone could give me any stats on them?...functionality?.the huge growl they produce?....any help would be highly appreciated...:)Please excuse me if i got the terminolgy wrong but what are the engines called that have the airfilter directly attached on to then.....often poking out of the bonnet....almost rectangular in shape......some have 3 holes on the front?......when the car revs there are flaps on the holes which flick back and forth as when the car is being rev'd and then is at a stand-still?.....sorry that the description is terrible......but i just love them....one was featured in the first fast and the furious ....Vin Deasels car...teh black one?...had it protruding out of the bonnet.....if anyone could give me any stats on them?...functionality?.the huge growl they produce?....any help would be highly appreciated... :confused: :dunno:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

sorry that my paragraph came out twice....apologies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Supercharger ram air intake I think. Makes it go faster by forcing air into the combustion chamber.

Mike.

hey mike..thanks for the info....i know my cars but that one i never found out about.......there beautiful to look at huh?......its like saying....hey...do not mess with this car......hehe..thanks again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Thats a supercharger alright -commonly just called a "Blower". That picture appears to be a 427 Chevy, and id guess that beast would be putting out at least 600 HP+ :)

The "flaps" on the Tunnel Ram (the top part, basically) are called Butterfly's -they work similar to a carburetter in that they open and close....thats the extent of my knowledge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

Originally posted by Teddi
    ....Vin Deasels car...teh black one?...had it protruding out of the bonnet.....if anyone could give me any stats on them?...functionality?.the huge growl they produce?....any help would be highly appreciated... :confused: :dunno: [/B]

Here's where you can buy them, there are other places, but weiand is the main vendor:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/AMS/SC/SC.html#Weiand

They are basically off Tracktor Trailer rigs, hence the designation like 6-71, That being a 6 cylinder 71 cubic inch per cyl. diesel.

They have the same effect as a turbo charger, except they are belt driven as opposed to having an exhuast impeller.

They typically double power, add much more to the low end mid range (then a turbo), and don't have spool up or over spool like a turbo. They also don't coke-up, and are cheaper since they don't deal with high temp exhaust.

Turbos use less power to drive, so at high RPM's they are more efficient. Blowers are typically used for dragsters since they give better "off the line" performance. And, they just look freakin' mean. Unfortunately they make the engine sound less raspy, however, they add a cool whining sound.

Methonal and a Blower can get a big block pushing 2000hp on the street. 6000 bhp on the strip.

Factory Five racing uses a small one (Ford SVT?) that fits nicely under the hood of their AC Cobra.:eek:

• Advertisement

thanks xm15e3 helped out big time.......i see alot of mad modded cars around and nothing...and i mean nothing beats having one of those superchargers sticking out of your bonnet....the bee's knees!.....so why they hell dont ya see them anywhere?...i think there more suited for better weather conditions than ****ty old Ireland or the U.K..Plus with the rate of Insurance for young Drivers these days being bad enough already...having that Visual on your car is asking for thievery!...although...one day...ill have my Mustang FastBack 1969 with one of those Superchargers......Everything Chromed internally....Titaniamised....Strut-Braced.......Direct Wet Nitro fuel System.....E.T.C......Yummy!...Only Something worth fantasising about huh?..........thanks anyway xm15e3
    Cheers Mate ;)

Advertisement