Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD or Video recorders bought in the UK

Options
  • 05-03-2004 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of picking up one of the new Panasonic DVD recorders when they're released. I'm guessing they're going to be cheaper online or in the UK but I think I read somewhere that video recorders bought in the UK won't pick up all of the channels in Ireland - I guess that would be the same for a tuner on a DVD recorder? Does anyone know for sure?

Wouldn't be a huge problem as I'd mainly be recording via scart from a digibox but it's be nice to know either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

recently bought a philips dvd recorder in the uk it works fine, as with most stuff now, you select the country when you first turn it on, they make the same device for all countries (most of the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder in Ireland and it doesn't have the right tuner for Irish stations, looks like Panasonic may not have botheres putting a VHF tuner on for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Cheers sirlinux, how have you found the Philips so far? Any probelms with it's stability at all? Was thinking of a Philips but they only record on DVD+ I think and my old DVD player will only play DVD- discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by atgate
    I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder in Ireland and it doesn't have the right tuner for Irish stations, looks like Panasonic may not have botheres putting a VHF tuner on for us.

So what channels won't it pick up do you know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

if a Brit vcr does not have Irish tuner frequency then it will not pick up any channel, got caught on this a few years ago when I came back to the sod from working in London

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It all depends on what part of the country you live in, and what source you are using for your TV viewing.

Terrestrial Aerial:
    The UK uses UHF for TV. Ireland uses a mixture of UHF and VHF. TV3 and TG4 are on UHF so these will work with any UK TV/Video/DVD Recorder. RTÉ1 and Network 2 are on UHF or VHF depending on where you live. I believe that most of the country is UHF now with only a few areas on VHF (South East). If you are in a UHF RTÉ area any UK receiving equipment will work fine here.

Sky Digital:
    An irish sky box is identical to a UK one (apart from the channels) so it will work with a UK DVD Recorder.

Cable:
    Not certain on this one, but I think that Chorus/NTL may use both UHF and VHF frequencies so if you have cable you will need to check the frequencies that are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

NTL amalogue is VHF.

Look up the specs of the recorder, it should say what bands it recieves.

Advertisement