Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quakeyworld question.

Options
  • 02-04-2001 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Me quakeworld server nabs 24 megs a ram when I start it. Cen fath? This is just the server on its own, no client.
    It makes a c0nt of me fps with all the swapping in and out. Also, another thing, it switches back from QWclient to the server dos window any time either the console or myself writes anything to screen. Running a P166, 48Megs, Voodoo2, Windies 98. I'm thinking because of the inability of the voodoo2 to do 2D drawing(so I'm told) that the computer has to switch between primary display and the voodoo everytime the server screen tries to print something. Could this be it? Still doesn't solve the reason why it's taking 24 megs of ram. Does it really need this much? I'm running latest version of server and gl client. Oh yeah, another thing, all the memory settings on the dos box are set to auto. Any ideas?? Sonic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Windows 98 on QW server = Bad. Use 2000 or NT.(Linux if ure l33t). It's a limitation of the OS that you'll never see a ping to it lower than 55mS.

If you want to run QW client and server on the same machine, you need a program called Priority. This helps avoid the crappy FPS and packet loss (sad ping too) that you'll see if you try to run QW server and client normally.

24Megs of RAM unloaded sounds a bit high, but bugger to worry about. The rule of thumb I've found useful is to have 8Megs of RAM per player on a QW server. But it's just a rule of thumb.

Try setting the mettory setting on the DOS box to 2048, it may help.

I'm sure Sonic will post his usual thesis on what's going on. smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Windies 9.8 on anything = BAD VERY BAD
    I would have to say it is the worst piece of software I have ever encountered or used.
    Three Linux boxes networked up in house already so I would be installing Linux purely for Quake. I need windies for the sh|t I'm doing. Not enough room for both. Only 3 gig drive.
    2000 or NT with 48Megs of ram? Like a dumptruck with a 1000cc engine.
    I'm already running Priority. The fps problem isn't coming from packet loss. It is coming from stuff being swapped in and out of main memory due to a severe lack of it. I get the fps problem when not playing over the network.

Advertisement