Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Changes on Monday

• 05-03-2004 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Just spoke to Customer Care and Sales .

Exisitng Customer automatically moves to Broadband Plus - can request downgrade before 1st April.

Contention kicks in on Moday 8th March.
    Cap change doesn't come in until April so you still have only 8GB this month.

If you are officially on Broadband plus will be interesting if they disconnect you for going over the CAP.

No sign-up for additional 12 months - you continue on current contract.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

hahaha that's typical IOL....

Well if they are automatically putting me on the upgraded package then I am entitled to what that package offers me... Not the defunct old one.

Perhaps they mean that their "usage" system will be upgraded to deal with 16 gig instead of 8 and that wont happen till next month?

Cheers
    X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Reckon thats the case -anyone like to test the water by going over?

Well if I didn't have a home office that was sort of dependent on the Net I would be more willing to go over and risk getting cut off. Guess no one likes to risk being cut off the net!!!

X

what we need is something in writing saying you switch over on March 8th, detailing what the package is but not mentioning that the Cap change doesn't take effect until next month.
    Like you I can't afford to be cut off - it happened once - thankfully End of Dec when things were quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If they charge you for a better service (i.e. the plus one) then they have to give you the bigger cap. If they charge you this month for the Plus account, and only give you 8gb's, then its illegal. As simple as that. They can only charge for what you;ve been given.

I suppose since you started the month on the origional package, they might have an arguing position, but i doubt they'll try that one.

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought - however she said their system is automated and has been set to 8GB already. (bit rich consider they announced it on March 1st

I kicked up a fuss when I was kicked off before(long story but I was initailly told I could go over and be charged) and ws told it was automatic and there was no way around it.

I belive you would be within your rights to go over but as I said can't afford to go without it if cutoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

everybody's download limit will be increased to 16GB from monday on....

100% guaranteed. One of my m8s works for IOL and I just got off d fone with him..his department are doing the work to ensure that it's ready

You would think they would communicated to each other.

How much work should it be to change - you would think it should be one parameter change. Doesn't say much about their systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

All their various systems, for pretty much everything, are a POS.
    My download meter is still at 2.4gigs from sometime back in early February.

My meter is updating itself now. I had to phone IOL to do it though... They don't seem too concerned that most peoples meters are not working properly. I dont even think they are able to check because when I was getting it fixed they asked for my username and password so they could access the page... That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their systems at all....

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Xcellor
    hahaha that's typical IOL....

Well if they are automatically putting me on the upgraded package then I am entitled to what that package offers me... Not the defunct old one.

You're not on the upgraded package until your next payment comes out of your account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by Iago

100% guaranteed. One of my m8s works for IOL and I just got off d fone with him..his department are doing the work to ensure that it's ready

That would be fine, well one way to tell is to check the usage meter on Monday. It will say, "at your current rate of usage you will... in xxdays" then do some simple math to ascertain if the cap has increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by Iago

Willl this be communicated to us offically in anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

the cost doesnt go up right ? just the cap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by Tusky
    the cost doesnt go up right ? just the cap ?

It will decrease by about EUR 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by raster
    It will decrease by about EUR 2

I'm am happy enough, €2.49 cheaper a month + 24:1 contention ratio. I'll never use 15.9GB up or down, in the months since i signed in July 2003 i have used less then 20GB in total.

Contention will become an issue in the months and years to come, so the lower contention is a must, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

why don't you swap over your phone to Esat Advantage or whatever they call it.

I rarely use the phone anyway, so by transferring it over to Esat and bundling the two, the regular broadband is dropped to €33 and the broadband plus is down to €40.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by SachaJ
    why don't you swap over your phone to Esat Advantage or whatever they call it.

I rarely use the phone anyway, so by transferring it over to Esat and bundling the two, the regular broadband is dropped to €33 and the broadband plus is down to €40.

Because the advantage package will cost me MORE. You have to spend more then €25 a month on phone calls to take advantage of this deal. I rarely use the phone so this is of no benefit to me.

I doubt may people would be spending €50 every two months on phone calls, i certainly wouldn't...less then a tenner.

http://www.esatbt.com/ie/residential/homephone/advantage.html

Advertisement