Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT - Computer Science

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

That module looks really interesting. Better than JSP servlets anyways...

4th year is GREAT. So Great that it makes me want to cry...

This year I'm in 3 days at 9am and 2 days at 10 in the morning. I usually leave the labs/library at 8 or nine most nights, except if training is on. SDIS have three core subjects (Advanced Internet Dev, Distributed Systems and Advanced Databases) and then you pick two more.

I'm doing Systems programming (C through Unix) and Knowledge Based Decision Support Systems. Each subject has two hours labs and two hours lectures. You'll get two assignments for most subjects, but a few give more(in A.D.B.s we had 5), and you'll need to put in the hours to get them done.

The amount of programming you do depends on what subjects you choose. None of the subjects are easy, but some are harder (systems programming...) than others (HCI or MIS which have very little programming at all).

On the whole project front, Its tough. Work on it when ever you get a chance. There is a lot to put into it, and its worth a big chunk of your degree.

On the plus side though, I have found all the staff to be really supportive. They tend to be quite understanding about the workload and I've never felt like I couldn't approach one of them if I was having problems or whatever with assignments or the project.

I've got to stop writing these goddamn essays and do some more study, or I'll be back in the class with you next year. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Briano:
    I hope I didn't piss all you guys off bout kevin street. :) I think that on the whole the fact that classes are small and contact with lecturers (the majority of which are extremely helpful and care about the students well being). All I was really complaining about is that everyting is not all as rosy as it might appear for 4th years this year.
    of the two final year project labs, they are open to FT225-4 (Applied Science: Computers and Software Engineering) , FT228-4 (Comp Science) and DT266-3 (diploma final year). Averaging about 40 to 45 per class (i say that as an average) and given that there is about 60 computers between A308 and A117 this is not a great.
    Also classes are perpetually being run in these labs so it is not like they are permanently free. Also whats with the lab 115 being taken away at such a crucial time in the year (project demonstration time).... why couldn't it have waited until the summer when the labs are not in use. Also we lost another lab this year with 114 becoming a dedicated maths school lab. This is what I was complaining about.
    As for the wireless network dedicated for final year students....... that doesn't exist! It is a small wireless box at the back of 117 but it is not connected to the net so it is somewhat pointless for anything less than file transfer to the other 4 siemens machines at the back of the lab. The wireless that is present is available in the snackery and the library which is great. The only problem is that the wireless router was placed at the wrong end of the library and there is very few power points available in the library near where the basestation is located.
    When i complained about facilities, I was also talking about the lack of a Unix lab, a proper dedicated Unix lab. Presently if you are studying CSAA you have to go to the technicians and get a linux distro on zip disk from them that will only run in two of the labs. I am not disputing that new machines have been purchased, I just think that the logistics (placement of wireless basestations) and the way that money has been spent is a little crazy. As for the machines in Aungier street, well they are no kitted out with Visual Studio or other such compilers.
    And when you say the labs don't have the proper compilers installed, I assume you are talking about ms visual studio. Boo Hoo. Install eclipse, or even textpad and some freeware c++ compiler, and get over it. The DB + Unix servers are available from Aungier street so I don't really know what you are complaining about.
    They dont! full stop. The problem is that over in Aungier street there is no admin rights to install the relevant packages, and if they are required 4th years have to go through a lot of red tape to get them installed. So ultimately this isn't an option. ok eclipse is java based could try that... but the majorityof people when they have to code a c++ app for windows or what not, do not want to have to learn a new development environment they want to get the job done with the tools they originally leart no. Time is precious.
    As for that masters you are thinking of doing. I am friends with a lad over there doing it. He recommends it highly. Its meant to be a fantastic course. The very best of luck in your exams and with the masters.

Agent_Smith,

Why dont you just use the UNIX server, instead of running the zip disk distro?

And yes, there are classes being run in the labs, but Not really in the two final year labs. Also, I have never had a problem getting a computer. That said, my class have a tendancy to be pricks about it, and kick people off who are just messing or playing games or whatever, instead of working.

115 is being turned into a UNIX lab afaik, so happy days for you there.

The Wireless NW in 117 is just for implementing projects, not for cruising the net (or checking boards every five minutes. Oh God, I'm so weak) but for projects to be run on it.

Anyway, The long and short of it is that I don't feel the place is as bad as you make it out to be. But hey, everyone has an opinion right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

yea forensic computing is nifty, if you have the maths do high perf. computing in tcd ;) thats pretty nice, if you like programming and can do maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yeah I'm doing the msc in forensic computing and I have to say its well worth it. Apart from one or two teething troubles (it is the first year the course is being run) I'm well enjoying it.

The course has its own isolated lab where we get to experiment with viruses, trojans and other nasty pieces of malicious logic.

The only thing I would say is, you would want to be pretty good at Java; the course really shifts into high gear in the second semester with the public key cryptography and security protocols practicals.

By next year I'd imagine they'd have everything straightened out; but in saying that we did get somewhat of an easy ride with regard to marking of the semester one exams...so they might try and make up for that next year! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I'm also interested in that Msc in DCU. It sounds like a fantastic course. How long is it (1 year or 2)? Also what is the cost of the course and entry requirements?

Briano:
    Yeh I would love to be able to use the Unix Server (Aisling) but there are no admin rights. The CSAA course we are doing necessitates that we have sudo access at the very least for setting up dummy accounts and messing around with them. The College Unix Server is mainly only useful for hte Systems Programming and Compiler Theory part of the course. :(

Also I am reliably informed that the standard of women in DCU is superior to that of even.... gasp.... gasp.... Aungier Street. What more reason does anyone have!

the standard of women in DCU is superior to that of even.... gasp.... gasp.... Aungier Street

...I'll bear that in mind, while in the course's...
    own isolated lab

..with people who are doing...
    public key cryptography and security protocols practicals

Sexy. I'll have to remember to wear some trousers ;)

Seriously though, I heard about the presentation given to Fred's class (I think that was you Hectate) and the course does sound very interesting.

Draupir and Hectate, thanks for the info. Not *too* worried about my mad Java skillz (as the young people say it these days), more worried about C. And the commute in the morning.

I hope this is all helping Irish_Life's question about DIT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

but C is pretty handy and easy, and you can almost read it like english if its written well. though i guess the whole aspect of memory management in C scares some people, and pointers can be head wrecking for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

There isn't really an awful lot of C in the course, it only really comes into two subjects; advanced programming - from the point of view of buffer overflow attacks and such, advanced operating systems - we did a bit of digging around inside the Linux kernel to learn how multithreading works at a low level.

But I was surprised at the amount of people who had never done any C or Java before coming into a pretty technical course. It was presumed that you knew all this beforehand, which is fair enough since I'd had plenty of experience with both languages but a good few people were seriously struggling to keep up earlier in the year, mainly with the public key cryptography.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I might consider that masters myself. In third year networking we did a PKC system which exchanged keys and all that business through C. And DCU is mad for the old Java so once you are nifty at Java dont worry too much bout C.

Anyone in DCU computing will tell ya the only lecturer into coding through C for coursework is Brian Stone/Santa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement