Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Night At The Fitz.

Options
  • 05-03-2004 1:23pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

wow, what an up and down night.

I decided to play a bit looser then the ducks-arse-tight I've had to play for the last two weeks. Had 50 notes to spend and boy did I spend it. Ended up buying in and topping up at the break (4 buyin in total). The guy who won the 250 game last month was at my table and even he was saying my luck was atrocious as I missed I dont know how many 50/50s.

Just before the big blind hit me I got moved. I wasnt happy about that but what can you do. Ended up on Hyzepher and Davey Devil's table, pretty short stacked (particularly compared to DD's Great Wall of China!). Reckoned I was going home pretty soon. Reckoned wrong. All of a sudden I couldnt stop hitting things, flops, flushes, Ace high straights... I was even forced in on 2,3o as big blind and flopped A,4,5. Wiped out at least one guy (with a performance worthy of an oscar I thought when I had the nuts straight... including a "ffff.. no wait all in"... I'll be having that pint Luke!)

For once I went on a roll/tilt and I realised whats wrong with my mid-game. When I win a few hands I *do* go on a tilt but not a normal one... I love this game, I hate not being involved, part of the action. Gonna have to tame that!

Then, I got moved again to a really dangerous table. Norman to my left (argh!!), Dave the Floor Manager, Ken (Spiritus) and two of the good players from my original table. Not to mention a lady I knocked out at the final table two weeks ago who didnt look happy to see me!

I went on another roll and couldnt seem to miss there either (though AA failed to stand up against the aforementioned lady... first time I'd ever had them dealt to me too. Ever!). Built up to a nice 15,000 stack and went in on A9 to see a AAx flop! Happy days. I stick my hunting gear on and Dave kindly walks into my trap with 44 all-in... he put his coat on and then took it off as he hit a 4 on the river for a house. I was gutshot and from that point on I just seemed to never recover. Mentally or luckwise. Eventually I make a stand on 77 for about 6,000 against KQo but he flopped a queen and I walked.... fun night though!

Dave, if you are reading this you are one ungodly lucky s.o.b. I said it at the time, that hand cost me a ticket I reckon. I seem to be saying this a lot lately..."thats poker..." :dunno:

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

well after numerous attemps i made the final table and got myself a ticket to the big game. Davey Devil also bagged himself another ticket.

Generally i was happy with my play through the night, got a good bit of luck when i made mad call, i had ace 9 suited, the flop comes down with an ace, and a guy goes all in..... i called like a mad man, he had ace king, however i hit my 9 on the river and that set me up nicely for the rest of the night.

Dave the floor managers luck was all over the place... he made the final table with only his big blind, he plays that hand and wins, then wins another small one.. however things started to get tight and with the blinds at 6k he got wittled down, he went out 6th and there were only 5 tickets!! id be going mad

anyway great night cant wait for the big game now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

Ah unlucky Dev, thought u were through for sure.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Congrats! The big game is a lot of fun. My table at it was absolutely savage. Some bloke was moved up to us and one of the floor staff had to help him move his chips... 20 mins later he was walking out the door.
    I found out last night that all three of the top winners were from that table...

The big game is excellent, the play is top notch and you can relax and play poker... the characters and sharks will come out of the woodwork for it though!!

I hope to join you but I have to get my play sorted and win that ticket. (The day after I won it last month I kept humming "cos I've got a golden ticket!" from Willy Wonka... :) )

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

At this stage I'm gonna own the Chocolate Factory. That's March and April sorted out, think I might take a break next week.

Have to tell you about the worst piece of poker play I have even seen last night. The blinds were 500/1000. I was in early position and had pocket aces. Put in a raise of 2000. Folds all round until it comes to the big blind he raises to 4000. He probably thinks I'm just trying to rob the blinds therefore he re-raised - not a bad move, however he didn't count on me having aces. I move over the top for about 12500. He has about 13000 left. At this stage he can get away from the hand as he must know he's beaten. He ponders for a minute and then calls leaving himself practacally all in. Here I am thinking he either has The Cowboys or AK. But no he turns over J,10 - I'm desparatly trying to contain my laughter. Neithless to say he had no help and I was set for the final table. What was he thinking?? He was in his 50's too he was no newbie off the street. Worst call I have ever seen.

This poker lark is easy init?:cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have one better. Unfortunately the mug in question was me!

I call the blinds with K,9o ... not a great hand but I decide to play it. That was mistake number one, I could easily have put it down.

Flop comes Kxx and theres a raise, I decide that my lovely K9 is good as I dont much respect the raiser a whole lot. There are two people left in the hand ... or so I think.
    I have about 16,000 if I've a chip and I can cover the two remaining players easily, the biggest has 6K. So... rather then bet something easy like 7k... I open my gob and say "all in"... ngggh... no big deal...

Except Norman is still in. And he can cover me with about 3k to spare. And he thinks about it. And I sweat. I realise that in a momentary lack of concentration I've just put everything I have just worked for on K9 with top pair.

Norman thinks. And then some more. Then counts my chips. Then counts *his* chips. Then calls me. I'm sickened as I'm sure he has something.

He has something. He has K9!

I swear I was about gouge my eyes out with my own chips to teach me a lesson and you never saw someone as happy to split a pot.

I cant believe my concentration slipped that badly and I made such a dumbass n00b mistake.

DeV.

• Advertisement

To be honest Dev that was nowhere near as bad as J,10 guy. Your right though, a hand like K,9 can only get you into trouble. Realistacly what are looking for on the flop with K,9? I mean if you hit a king your kicker is suspect. The chances of you floping 2 pair, a set or a straight draw are low. Throw them K,9's in the scraper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by DeVore
    Wiped out at least one guy (with a performance worthy of an oscar I thought when I had the nuts straight... including a "ffff.. no wait all in"... I'll be having that pint Luke!)
    DeV.
    Did any boards people see it? ;)

I had a touch of bad luck, Dave (?) one of the Fitz floor guys who sometimes deals, was at my table, and he called my raise on an A-x-x flop with pocket nines, I had A-K offsuit.
    I raised him all in on the turn when there was no help for him, and then on the river the guy dealing forgot to burn a card and flipped a 3, so I said "Aces win?" without noticing, then someone calls out that the dealer didn't burn a card so the 3 is considered burned and he turns over some other card which happens to give Dave a straight on the river. Ouch.
    Had I won that I would have been pretty set for the Freezeout, but went out when I went all in on a straight draw that never appeared.

Davey, agreed... like I said, mistake number one was playing the hand at all but not checking how many players were left and thinking that "All In!" sounded a bit more daunting then "7,000" I said that instead... I could have been cleaned out entirely by Norman!

Lafortezza, none other then our very own Moderator witnessed it (as well as Davey and some other bloke who knew about Boards too ... Davey he was sitting to your left, any idea who that was?)

Mr Devil got all shirty with Hyzepher too cos he thought he was being overly familiar calling him "Davey" without realising who he was :):) That gave me a chuckle.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Mr Devil got all shirty with Hyzepher too cos he thought he was being overly familiar calling him "Davey" without realising who he was That gave me a chuckle

And so it shall be SIR DAVE from now on... lol

Ha - I wasn't getting shirty as you say, I just didn't know him - it's weird when people call you by your name and you have never talked to them before. Appoligies Hyzepher - I'm always concentrating so much on the poker my social skills get left behind.

I think it was the guy to my right that reads boards - he's from the country - not sure who he was though. As I said I'm not much of a talker at the table - I'll try lightening up a bit next time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

I was the guy to your right Davey. I have to say i was uncomfortable calling everyone by there Boards nickname but i had to break the ice. I laughed when i heard Devore say "fold.. no wait.. all in" Then i knew it was him. It was my first night in the Fitz and I really enjoyed myself. I finished 16th I think, not bad for my first tournament. I work in Limerick but it looks like i'll be in Dublin a bit more in the future so i hope to make the thursday night games on a regular basis.

heheh Davey, I knew exactly where you were coming from... it was just funny seeing two people who I knew knew each other from Boards meeting accross a poker table without realising it. I could see you thinking to yourself "who IS this bloke, he's being very familiar and I've never met him!". I dont think you were unsocial, just a bit confused by all the people who recognised you without you recognising them :):)

DeV.

Advertisement