Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any easy way to test my TV for NTSC compatiblity?

Options
  • 05-03-2004 1:40pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to purchase a multi-region DVD player but, as far as I know, the TV will have to be NTSC compatible to run the Region 1 discs - correct? So how can I test, in advance, that the TV is NTSC compatible? As it's not mine and my flatmate has goldfish memory, I don't know how old it is (I get the impression it's 4-5 years). It's some sort of cheap brand too (I can't remember the name, but it's certainly not well known). The TV doesn't seem to include features such as aspect ratio adjustment either, which is not a good sign.

Is there any cheap and cheerful method of performing the test? My VCR is NTSC compatible but I don't have an NTSC tape to hand... Anyone got any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Borrow someone else's dvd player or ntsc tape, or play a NTSC format dvd in a r2 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

if you buy a good enough player(300/400 euros), it'll automatically format the disc to appear in colour on your screen, important thing here is to RESEARCH what player you want thoroughly

just to give my example:
    i bought a pioneer dv-350 multiregion chipped player in january of last year(for just over a hundred sterling), i stupidly didnt do that much resaearch on it before i bought it, and only found out about it after i had purchased it, its a good player since it can play any old discs dvd/vcd/svcd/mp3 etc... but unfortunately ya need a ntsc/pal compatible tv(which luckily i unknowingly had one lying in my parents room) to play ntsc encoded discs, also it doesnt play rce discs(:mad: )

so anyway its totally upto you, just ask yourself what you really need it for
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

as stated above many players will convert the signal for you key is reserch, be if u want to test ur tv itself, then try using a ps2 or xbox many of their games will allow u 2 run them in 60hz mode (ntsc)

Advertisement