Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB Setting Up....

• 05-03-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just thought I would ask a quick question. I just received my Self Install IOL Broadband kit, set everything up, and cannot get the damn thing working. The modem appears to be getting a connection ok, and the PC seems to realise this, yet when open IE, I get nothing. I have set IE never to dial a connection, but it still appears to be trying to use the dial-up, at times. I have been on the IOL Tech Support, and he asked that I ping the modem, which I will do as soon as I get home. I just thought I would post here to see if anyone else has come across this, and if there is something obvious I am not doing. I will post again later (hopefully) when I have the problem sorted.
    Any responses much appreciated,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Have you got your username & password ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Setting up the router was quite easy I found.

Are you running on a network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

When I open my browser, (IE) and enter the address per the manual, 192.168.etc., I get the page cannot be displayed. And sometimes it asks which Dial-up to use (I have Eircomnet and IOLFree). As I said though, I have IE set not to dial a connection. As I said I will try to ping the modem later. Not looking good though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

The configuration I found best was.

1) Plug Router using network cable into network hub.
    2) Allow all hosts on network to use DHCP and get their IP from router. The router is set for 192.168.1.1 so all your networked PC's will go on that subnet 192.168.1.xxx
    3) Make sure computers are set up for network rather than dialup.

I found that the handiest. No need to install software, worry about USB connections or nothing... Windows XP will automatically assign 192.168.1.1 as your gateway and you are away.

I had trouble using USB but I blame that on the computer not router... just battle away or if all esle fails RTFM....

Xcellor

Advertisement