Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem ownership IOL

• 05-03-2004 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm currently on the IOLBB connection at €49 a month.
    From what i can gather, if i don't tell esat i want the cheaper
    package then i'll get bumped up to the IOLBB Plus package.

I think that currently esat own the modem but it says here http://www.iol.ie/bundles/pr_bbplus.htm

that "*Modem supplied on IOL Broadband remains the property of Esat BT, modem supplied on IOL Broadband PLUS is owned by the customer. 12 Month Minimum Term contract - Terms and Conditions apply"

so if I swap to plus will I own the modem?

It make no difference really, but would be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Having read the extract on IOL page. It would seem that we indeed do gain ownership of the modem after 12 months... How lovely of IOL. Will be good when I switch to an alternative service :D

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

my pos usb modem hasnt come out of the box, but i'll still be happy to take it for free if i can change to bb+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Your "IOL Broadband" agreement states that "The modem and microfilters shall at all times remain the property of Esat BT..." (sec 2.1 subsec c)

That new URL you gave refers to the modem supplied on "IOL Broadband PLUS". Your current modem was supplied on "IOL Broadband".

So they still own your modem. Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

you get a better modem on the Broadband Plus

its ethernet and USB. I wonder can I swap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

The router I got from IOL was both USB and Ethernet too... I joined in Feb, maybe they were already shipping dual capable ones then...

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

the way it is with iol , they will replace the modem if its faulty within 12 months , they wont after 12 months . thats why they say u can own it ..
    im not 100% on this , i work for aol and thats they way they do it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

well i just rang iol today enquiring about getting an ethernet modem in exchange for the freky little blue one they gave me,as i am being bumped to being a broadband plus user does that mean i own the new ehternet modem they are going to send me?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

they said no to me. Said I'd have to stump up €50

How did you get a new modem out of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

if your other one ceased to work?;) wouldn't they have to replace it. Imagine of a cup of water spilt on it or better still coke. Dunno how long you would have to wait though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i just said i had purchased a new pc and i need a new modem
    your one on the phone sadi some crap about €50 but she said it might be waved,if i pay the €50 i better own the goddamn thing or else i aint paying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

€50 for an ethernet modem aint bad......once you own it of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Once you pay the €50 you own the modem, I paid it as soon as it became available in January, was stuck with the USB only model up until then.

gave my details over the phone, they sent out the new one and I sent back the old one, fairly painless surprisingly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Iago -what make and model is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It's the same crowd they use for the USB model.. Zyxel the model is 623R-T1

TBH it's fairly basic, but for €50 what would you expect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 madboy

Hi I'm on IOLBB the 49€ one but I haven't noticed any difference since we got "Bumped Up" have any of you?. I Already Bought a new modem a zoom x4 has built in firewall and uses USB and Ethernet (good for my XBOX),but, this is my point Xbox can check ur download and upload speed and I am only getting 68-70 upload and 350-380 Download download is OK but 68 is a joke anyone getting anything like this?

Advertisement