Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid - Unstoppable?

• 05-03-2004 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

8 Point lead over Valencia in La Liga.

Ronaldo on fire with 25 goals this season.

Playing absolutely **** against Bayern and coming away with an away goal.

They are looking unstoppable and although I support Man Utd, they will be the team that will win the CL in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

unstoppable - yes v.difficult to stop them scoring.

unbeatable - no v.diff not to score against them TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

They are grea going forward. But who do they have in midfield to shield the back 4?

What a useless back 4. Raul Bravo who could not get into the Leeds team. Roberto Carlos who looks okay going forward, but can't defend. Salgado who is going out with the chairmans daugther, wonder if he would be in the team otherwise.

Heulgara is good, and so is Caillilas, but otherwise they struggle.

I think they will winn the Primera Liga, but CL they will struggle. For example I don't think they played badly in Germany they played as well as they were allowed. Arsenal,Bayern,Milan and Juventus all look better bets for the CL. They are all solid enough at the back and can score goals and are all round better teams as units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    What a useless back 4. Raul Bravo who could not get into the Leeds team. Roberto Carlos who looks okay going forward, but can't defend. Salgado who is going out with the chairmans daugther, wonder if he would be in the team otherwise.

Heulgara is good, and so is Caillilas, but otherwise they struggle.
    Their back 4 is as good as any otehr top class team. Salgado is one of the best RB's I have seen, how can you not think he is good? R.Carlos is underrated for his defensive play. Helguera is superb and all they need is another CB to have the best back 4 in Europe IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

And Iker Casillias is arguably the best keeper in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Salgado is a savage right back. Not as good as Puyol but who is????

Roberto Carlos is the best left back I have ever had the pleasure of watching so far in my life. He is amazing.

Raul Bravo - don't know much about.

Helguerra - Class.

PS: Arsenal are not going near the CL trophy. Not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by Michaelangelo
    Roberto Carlos is the best left back I have ever had the pleasure of watching so far in my life. He is amazing.
    You`re joking, he`s farkin awful

Matter of opinion. I like him so much because he is so attacking and nothing like a traditional defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Originally posted by bazH
    You`re joking, he`s farkin awful

he's not awful, he just isn't a natural defender.

Réal should never got rid of makaléle . he was a rock.

sigh

I know what he is an what he isnt. Defensivley he is poor, a toal liability, at set pieces hes a joke. Attacking he is ok, but dont believe the hype, he isnt actually that good

He's quick, powerful, and skillfull and has a rifle of a shot . Granted he is **** at free kicks

• Advertisement

Of the 6 goals he has scored this season, i think all of them are from free kicks.

He is good defensively but he is just lethal going forward.

I love watching him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Roberto Carlos is a rubbish defender which is what his main job is. Bravo, Pavon are totally ****e, Casillas is the best keeper in Europe, Helgueras a good CB but DMC i worry. Salgado is ok but i've seen better,
    PS: Arsenal are not going near the CL trophy. Not going to happen.

You're so biased, Man Utd r at the end of an era and u just cant face the fact they're not the team they used to be. Stop turning every thread in2 an Arsenal slagging thread.

PS. Going on the basis where u said Real Madrid r looking unbeatable u can say the same about Arsenal:

9 point lead at the top of the table
    Henry is on fire with 23/24 goals this season
    Didn't play as well as they can and got 3 away goals in the 2nd Leg

Originally posted by Gangsta
    You're so biased, Man Utd r at the end of an era and u just cant face the fact they're not the team they used to be. Stop turning every thread in2 an Arsenal slagging thread.

PS. Going on the basis where u said Real Madrid r looking unbeatable u can say the same about Arsenal:

9 point lead at the top of the table
    Henry is on fire with 23/24 goals this season
    Didn't play as well as they can and got 3 away goals in the 2nd Leg

Excuse me?

I have said as many time as the ABU's that Utd will not win the Cl and that Real madrid will. How does that make me biased?

I am entitled to my opinion. How is that slagging? Arsenal are not going to win the CL.

That is not slagging. Thats opinion. If I were to say, Arsenal are not going to win the CL because Keown is ugly, then that would warrant your lame post but I didn't so get over it and accept it.

I can accept Man Utd are playing ****e, so can every other Utd support on this board. Why don't you just be quiet and accept other peoples' opinions?

I am not asking you to agree with me so pipe down.

PS. Going on the basis where u said Real Madrid r looking unbeatable u can say the same about Arsenal

No.

Because they don't have the same history Real Madrid have.

And, they do not have a team as good as Real Madrid.

Enjoy your morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"Arsenal are not going to win the CL because Keown is ugly"

That would have been WAY funnier!

Originally posted by Bungalow Bill
    "Arsenal are not going to win the CL because Keown is ugly"

That would have been WAY funnier!

True. :p

No.

Because they don't have the same history Real Madrid have.

And, they do not have a team as good as Real Madrid.

Enjoy your morning. :)

These two points weren't mentioned so therefore invalid.

Why dont u make me pipe down, uv been going on and on whenever Arsenal and the CL is mentioned that they arent going to win it, Man Utds current team will never go near that trophy. Sociedad dont have a team as good as Madrid but under they're new manager they're beating them tactically.Arsenal as a team are stronger than Madrid

Enjoy ur morning

These two points weren't mentioned so therefore invalid.

Why dont u make me pipe down, uv been going on and on whenever Arsenal and the CL is mentioned that they arent going to win it, Man Utds current team will never go near that trophy. Sociedad dont have a team as good as Madrid but under they're new manager they're beating them tactically.Arsenal as a team are stronger than Madrid

Enjoy ur morning

Here it's been a long day, please don't try make me laugh.

Bluffed - Arsenal'll definitely win the league. Man Utd r pants this season, chelsea'll finish above them. Btw I dont support any of those teams.

If i was trying to make u laugh, you'd be laughing.

ha a typical noob cop out, you might want to backup any opinions you have or change the thread title to "Real Madrid Fanboy Thread"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Because they don't have the same history Real Madrid have

WTF has history to do with anything :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Who actually said in this thread Utd would win it? I think saying Utd are at the end of an era is really really premature. I mean for the match vs Fulham tomorrow for example they are without their first choice back four who are all missing through injury/suspension. You can't plan for things like that and anyone who loses their first choice back four is sure to struggle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

arsenal may not win the champs league but are a far better bet than real madrid and r carlos is way over rated
    he scores the odd good free kick but he cant defend for ****!

real madrid are not going to win the champs league and that will turn out to be fact come may (or sooner)

typicall troll here.
    cant see him lasting 2 months tbh:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    WTF has history to do with anything :rolleyes:

Exactly - methinks of Barca
    Who actually said in this thread Utd would win it? I think saying Utd are at the end of an era is really really premature. I mean for the match vs Fulham tomorrow for example they are without their first choice back four who are all missing through injury/suspension. You can't plan for things like that and anyone who loses their first choice back four is sure to struggle.

I c ur point but Utd are the richest club in the world and they should have a bit of depth in the squad, handling these situations goes a long way. Arse had all those suspensions after the Utd game aswell and they r still unbeaten.

Mossy I was referring to recent history. How many times have Real Madrid won the trophy in the last 5 years?
    ha a typical noob cop out, you might want to backup any opinions you have or change the thread title to "Real Madrid Fanboy Thread"

Real Madrid speak for themselves. I don't have to proove what they have achieved. Every knowledgeable football fan knows their a massive success. I support Man Utd. They thrashed us last season and totally outplayed us in the first leg. I can accept that. What I or any other Man Utd fan will not accept is all this lark about Utd being at the end of their era.
    arsenal may not win teh champs league but are a far better bet than real madrid

Oh really? Please explain this statement.
    typicall troll here.

How am I a troll exactly?

I c ur point but Utd are the richest club in the world and they should have a bit of depth in the squad, handling these situations goes a long way. Arse had all those suspensions after the Utd game aswell and they r still unbeaten

a good point rarely mentioned on boards
    shows and proves that arsenal have the overall stronger squad in the league (chelsea my have the stars but no hunger or spirit)

"Man Utds current team will never go near that trophy"

I don't think that you have to be reminded what happened last year.
    Also utd's team have been excellent all season, even better than last year they are just going through a bad patch and could still take the champions league and maybe the premiership, yeah it's a long shot but you don't know.

Mossy I was referring to recent history. How many times have Real Madrid won the trophy in the last 5 years?

Real Madrid speak for themselves. I don't have to proove what they have achieved. Every knowledgeable football fan knows their a massive success. I support Man Utd. They thrashed us last season and totally outplayed us in the first leg. I can accept that. What I or any other Man Utd fan will not accept is all this lark about Utd being at the end of their era.

not asking u to accept it, as u say "every1 has their own opinions so pipe down"

Arsenal going forward are as good as any team, they can score goals from many different areas and they're far more solid at the back.

Do u have the long hair that thos model troll dolls have? I think that's wat they're referring to

Listen, I ain't going to accept it so don't worry about that. I would just like you to explain why Arsenal, as you said yourself which I strongly disagree with " are a far better bet than real madrid". Why do you say that? Is it because of their tremendous football that they play in Europe year after year? Is it because they have lifted the European trophy more than any other team in Europe?

• Advertisement

It`s because they are the on form team in Europe, you twat!

one word will do.
    DEFENCE!!

real madrid cant defend and therefore will get caugth out at some stage in the competiton. they are a good attacking side but cant defend nothing
    yea arsenal are not teh perfect team are they but i think they will have a better chance than madird to win and i dont really fear them if arsenal drew them
    AC milan are the team to win it
    saying things like
    Enjoy your morning.
    and
    is a typical noob thing to say and it is really said to try and make yourself feel smug about your comment and is really just bad taste at the end of the day

just my opinion but i expect others to share it

and an answser to your thread no real madird are not unstopable

I would just like you to explain why Arsenal, as you said yourself which I strongly disagree with " are a far better bet than real madrid". Why do you say that? Is it because of their tremendous football that they play in Europe year after year? Is it because they have lifted the European trophy more than any other team in Europe?

-n00b, rename the thread to "very biased madrid fan"

"real madrid cant defend and therefore will get caugth out at some stage in the competiton"

I am sure that this very comment was made every time they have won it in recent years. What is it something like 3 out of seven???

I am sure that this very comment was made every time they have won it in recent years. What is it something like 3 out of seven

yea but they had players like makelle and hierio. great players by all means
    and now they have what beckham as the holding midfielder
    they are a class team but will get caught out at some stage this year believe me

"real madrid cant defend and therefore will get caugth out at some stage in the competiton"
    "they are a class team but will get caught out at some stage this year believe me"

Should I remind everyone that they only conceded 5 goals in the group stage this year which makes them the third or fourth most effective defence in the tournament so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Arsenal going forward are as good as any team,

Any team bar R Madrid who are in a league of their own in this department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Its still surprising how often these threads are hijacked by Arsenal fanatics drooling over the prospect of how successful their team is going to be. Werent there painful lessons to be learnt in that dept in recent times? I think the reference to "history" in the ECL is valid enough. I cant think of anyone on the Arsenal payroll who has really achieved anything on the European club scene (open to correction). That Madrid team, and a number of other top European sides, by contrast, are oozing with such experience. And that experience counts for a lot in the latter stages of the tournament, as Leeds, Liverpool, Valencia, and many others (Arsenal included), have found in recent years. Wenger has yet to prove he can motivate on the biggest stages. Maybe this season will be the making of him. Right now, he's won less in the game than Howard Kendall did. :dunno:

Originally posted by doozerjack
    Its still surprising how often these threads are hijacked by Arsenal fanatics drooling over the prospect of how successful their team is going to be. Werent there painful lessons to be learnt in that dept in recent times? I think the reference to "history" in the ECL is valid enough. I cant think of anyone on the Arsenal payroll who has really achieved anything on the European club scene (open to correction). That Madrid team, and a number of other top European sides, by contrast, are oozing with such experience. And that experience counts for a lot in the latter stages of the tournament, as Leeds, Liverpool, Valencia, and many others (Arsenal included), have found in recent years. Wenger has yet to prove he can motivate on the biggest stages. Maybe this season will be the making of him. Right now, he's won less in the game than Howard Kendall did. :dunno:

Arsenal have many internationals in their side and some have won the world cup so to say they dont have experience at the top level is just stupid. Valencia have reached the ECL Final twice Leeds have reached the semi finals. United didnt have an awful lot of experience before they '99and they managed to win it, arsenal wont win it this season but a place far in the ECL is vital (semi-final)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jesus this thread is the biggest load of bollocks ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thread title : Real Madrid :)

How about a thread just for arguments between Man United vs Arsenal Thread?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kaids
    jesus this thread is the biggest load of bollocks ever

Ye because TEAM JANK and his Arse crew have totally ruined it.

Go Jank!

jank.jpg

Look at him; he is so smooth. :rolleyes:

yip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

sigh why does everything have to descend into this crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The property deal that helped Real Madrid pay for players such as Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo and David Beckham is being looked into by the EU, who may order the club to repay some of the money.

Real's president, Florentino Perez, sold their 15-hectare training ground in the heart of fashionable Madrid to city and regional authorities for a staggering £290m in 2001. The sale helped clear the club's £177m debt, and left enough to pay unprecedented sums for Zidane, Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Beckham. But the European Commission suspects the price was over-inflated and included a hidden public subsidy for what has been seen since the Franco era as Spain's official state-sponsored club.

"We believe Madrid's regional authorities may have overpaid," Tilman Luder, the EU's competition spokesman, said yesterday in Brussels. He warned that the club may have to pay back some money if the price exceeded the market value.

"We have sent a questionnaire to the Spanish government: to find out why they bought this land, at what price, and if they can prove it was at the market price. We suspect that the purchase price was influenced by the fact that this property had been reclassified, which increased its value," Luder said. If doubts remain, the EU may launch a formal investigation.

It seemed the perfect deal in a booming market: in exchange for selling their assets, the club received a cash windfall plus the gift of a huge plot out of town for a new training area. Flushed with newly available funds, the club invested in some of the world's finest players.

Madrid's city authorities and regional government redesignated the 15-hectare green site for commercial use. Property developers pounced on what became the most valuable piece of land in Spain on the country's most expensive street, Castellana Avenue, and the heart of the capital's financial district.

Four skyscrapers higher than anything Madrid had known previously soar over the site. The 45-story towers are so huge that air traffic lanes into the city's Barajas airport had to be moved to skirt them.

But even if the price is ruled over the odds, Perez should have little difficulty repaying the difference. Spain's biggest construction magnate, along with internationally marketable players such as Beckham, has helped Real to generate even more income.

Link

Taking into account that this cash source is drying up and the fact that FIFA have ordered Real to pay Inter £19 million for the Ronaldo Deal within 30 days and the Instalments due on other players it looks like reals big buying days mat be coming to and end. With their players getting on and some of them reaching the end of their career with no resale value Reals dominance may be coming to an end in the near future.

They are a top class team but are far from unstoppable as we saw in last years CL. They are magnificent going forward but can be equally abysmal in defence.

Originally posted by crowl
    sigh why does everything have to descend into this crap?

It is a pity. :(

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Taking into account that this cash source is drying up and the fact that FIFA have ordered Real to pay Inter £19 million for the Ronaldo Deal within 30 days and the Instalments due on other players it looks like reals big buying days mat be coming to and end. With their players getting on and some of them reaching the end of their career with no resale value Reals dominance may be coming to an end in the near future.

They are a top class team but are far from unstoppable as we saw in last years CL. They are magnificent going forward but can be equally abysmal in defence.
    I agree the current incarnation of the Real team may not be too far from the chopping block, but there's no keeping Real down in the long term. Their record in La Liga is simply unbelieveable, bar a period of 4-5 years here and there they've been dominating it since the 1950s, and i don't see a temporary shortage in cash changing that.

Go Jank!

jank.jpg

Look at him; he is so smooth. :rolleyes:

WTF Michelangelo?* note the CORRECT spelling of the name lol :)
    what did i do to you?

and how did i totally ruin this thread
    all the points are made are valid and you just proved it by resorting to mocking my sig!?

who did i say would win the CL again??

and if your picking on people why not mention Gangsta bazH and others...oh sorry your just looking for attention

glad you like my sig though

edit: my views on this thread is already expressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Watching them last night they didnt seem very unstoppable, 1-1 with Santander and Ronaldo down clutching his knee in a "oh that hurt" way.
    They have some of the best players in the world but their bench doenst inspire much, they can be beaten just stopping them scoring is the probem :)
    La Liga is strange in that although Valencia and Depor are good teams they seem to drop stupid points to lesser teams (both have done well against Real this season).

And Real have that ucanny Man U like ability to win penos in their own half when they losing or drawing ;)
    Valencia beat Depor last night but Aimar was carried off.

Oh La Liga double bills are just bleedin deadly :)

kdjac

Are Real unstoppable ???

I think the question is are Arsenal unstoppable

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement