Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some advice please

Options
  • 05-03-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting some transport in the comming weeks but unsure what path to take.

Basically i would perfer to get a car, but if insurance is to much ill get a motorbike, the bike ill be getting along with insurance will cost me 9 grand.

So what im wondering is, for a 19yr old guy in waterford, soon to be getting his first provisional licence, is there anyway that 9 grand or less would buy me a fairly decent 1/1.2 litre car and insurance for the year, im assuming it'll be better to insure my mother on the car and putting me as a named driver (shes been driving 15 years, neaver had a crash(that the insurance company knew about), been with axa or pmpa practically the whole time from what im told)

Also would it be cheaper to buy a 2seater van of some kind, would that affect my insurance much, since i can only ever have one other person with me ?

(Ill be ringing around some insurance companies once i get back to Ireland in a couple of weeks, just hoping you lads could give me an idea)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TBH, you are beter off in the long run going out on your own rather than on mammys policy. Also if you crash mammys car she loses her NCB.

Also if you get a van expect to be bent over the barrel far more than you would with a car (restricted visibility, commercial vehicle, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

My sister has my nephew under her policy. (He's 19 and in the Waterford/Tipp area) If you are going under parents policy AXA has this thing where it gives a discount for a son/daughter under the police. I can find out the exact name of what it is if you want to enquire. My sisters friend rang them about it and the rep told her there was no such thing and her friend told her "excuse me but i have it here in front of me" and sure enough she got the discount for her son also. My sister insures my nephew for a few months a year. It works out 70 euro a month.

However would agree that you are better to start off on your own. I started out myself when i was 20 and it was expensive to begin with but 4 years on it's down to 700 euro. Going out on your own will be better in the long run. You are going to have to start out on your own sometime, may as well be now.

Fitzgerald Insurance Brokers have a new crowd on their books. Giving good quotes at the mo.

Advertisement