Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Green Fields - Haha being a newbie rocked!

Options
  • 12-04-2001 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

http://hosted.quake.ie/thegreenfields/

A trip down for memory lane for the odd one or two of you still able to remember this site. This is were my scheming, doing and daring started all those years ago.

For those who don't know what the hell this is a quick history lesson is best.

96 winter - played quake in secondary school on a lan, loads. March 97 get online. Summer 97 played online much more - found the iol shareware server - played with every other peon under the sun, did well. Felix, Mindphuck, Carnate, and a wreck of others I forget who have since moved on or changed their names. Decide its a good idea to unify all the rumours and gossip into one webpage for the iol server - a news page as such. Do this for about 3 months. During the summer the UL guys - Zero, OL and loads others come onto the scene from universities, not to forget the legendary G.I. (the first irish clan - ever) setup by John Breslin.

Zero sets up a news page which gives the university slant. The pages co-exist, my camp, neutral (quietly sh!t stirring), greenfields and zero's news, much more in your face. Fun for all the family. Towards the end of the summer clan trinity comes onto the scene (as noted towards the end of the news pages) and the first cloud boards are setup. Between the boards and my move to UCD the greenfields pretty much died. Twas good fun. I never mixed in the quake community so much in my life and to be honest have been leeching from my reputation since then. Everyone says that when they started it was different etc - but I genuinely believe it was. There was only one game - quake, there were no fast connections - just about everyone was new to things; you'd be watching a rocket jump and going "woaw!" and just jumped into the whole thing for 3 months of a summer, did level editing - pulled quake apart, joined clans, played relative best ever.

Thankfully I've never said "I quit" or "I'm leaving" cause I always knew I'd be an old timer lurking in the background - pulling the odd string or two. Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It would be intresting to see if someone could compile a perfect timeline of the Quake scene from it's start to current date while remaining totally impartial (ie. not all Trin or UL history) and covering obscure things.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Tricky one to pull off. Maybe now it can happen now that old reputations hardly matter any more. But this is definitely a pro greenfields site :P

Read the stuff to get a decent account of what was going on the iol server at the time - I kept it pretty impartial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    It would be intresting to see if someone could compile a perfect timeline of the Quake scene from it's start to current date while remaining totally impartial (ie. not all Trin or UL history) and covering obscure things.

</font>

How could anybody do that and remain impartial, considering that someone would just write what they remember, i.e. subjective. Slanted or not, those pages are all that are there from that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

On reading it again I have to admit I had my head severly lodged up my rectum. Hey I was only online 1 month when I started writing. Also have to admit Zero's news blasted my site out of the water once he got going smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

And there I was skulling pints with Jaden last night and the 2 of us (newbies by comparison to you guys) were talking of the wonder of playing the game for the first year or so - we didn't know what FPS was - a 28.8 modem was good enough, competitions to see who could play with the highest sensativity (I peaked at 45 or something) and all that muppetry. Such fun!

Cheers John!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Your still a bleedin' newbie Dav.

Good crack last night, meeting new muppets. smile.gif

I'm off to Counterstrike, Quake ain't ever gonna be like it was back then.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Probably true ... I miss the old IOL servers ... were you could log in and spent hours just taking the **** out of somebody :-) or the ol' GI server when it was around and get you ass handed to you by cloud and crew ... or ye olde Indigo CTF server. then IGN came on the sence with all their servers ...

ahhh the old days when the quake server didn't have CA or kteams just plenty damn straight fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

"we DO have Destroyer, who is possibly the best Irish Quake Player at the moment"
    Good Vibrations smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

hahah, wheres that clan ABOM site, that was brilliant, "welcome to the secret ABOM tactics page, do not tell non-members how to get to this page"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

heh heh, I set up the webring at the bottom of the page and killed it a few months later. It now links to the Transformers webring. smile.gif

Shame the HIV old quake pages vanished, they were pretty funny.

Advertisement