Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message Box

• 05-03-2004 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Ever since i got Broadband (last night:p) a message box keeps coming up. It says 'file:///C:/bns/new/B_505900.htm' not found. When i click OK, then another IE window opens. Whats this about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

could you have set Active Desktop to point to this file?

Or is it a virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Install Ad-Aware and grab the latest reference file before doing a scan. Looks a bit like adware. Have a look here and do a search for bns. Looks like it's associated with the cydoor family of ad/spyware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Ever since i got Broadband (last night:p) a message box keeps coming up. It says 'file:///C:/bns/new/B_505900.htm' not found. When i click OK, then another IE window opens. Whats this about?

How's your German?

Looks like a worm or virus to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

It's worth installing a firewall such as ZoneAlarm which will keep track of applications accessing the web. :ninja:

Some peer to peer network programs contain extra unwanted apps :eek: that do things like popup adds, as a way for the developer to make extra cash. One that has given me no problems whatsoever is *cough* winmx *cough* mxmonitor

IE is not a safe browser as it tries to run activex and other applets that can be gremlins. These sometimes come from adds on sites that are normally ok.

Big thank you to Boards.ie for no adds :D:D:D

What I use is slimbrowser, a skin for IE in which I set everything to be more restrictive and use a paid for firewall outpost that suppresses adds, plus both AdAware and SpyBot from http://security.kolla.de

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

WARNING WARNING ZONE ALARM ALERT.

Zone alarm has a huge security flaw in it (unfortunately they fixed it in the latest release..). But that flaw was there for weeks. Would you trust such an insecure program?

I personally recommend Kerio personal firewall. www.kerio.com . It is the best one around, and totally free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Agreed.

Another handy resource is http://www.bigfix.com to keep up with patches

If using a USB ADSL modem, TICK from "really effective" is a good bandwidth meter, again there are likely to be better.

<edit>
    Also stop/disable the messenger or windows messenger service or silly popups start.
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If you go to securitytracker.com and do searches for kerio and zonealarm you'll find they both have flaws discovered every few months or so. (More for zonealarm but over a longer period of time.)

Personally I dont think you can beat zonealarm myself.....

Advertisement