Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone GPRS settings for XDA 2

• 05-03-2004 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have a sim free XDA 2 which I'm using on Vodafone (because of coverage).

Does anybody know the GPRS settings please? :dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

here's the full internet settings, you need to be enabled for access to isp.vodafone.ie access point before trying to connect, you may need to contact Vodafone to have this set-up

Tap:
    Start Menu
    Settings item
    Connections tab
    Connections icon
    Advanced tab
    Select Networks button

Select My ISP from the top Drop Down List (if available) and tap the Edit... button, you are brought to the Modem Tab in Connection Settings

OR

If My ISP isn't available create it by tapping New... and entering in a name like My ISP, then tap the Modem Tab

Tap the New.. button

Connection Name: Voda ISP GPRS
    Select Modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
    Tap Next...

Access point name: isp.vodafone.ie
    Tap Next...

User name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Domain: (leave blank)
    Tap Finished...

You are brought back to the Modem tab in Connection Settings, if there is more than one connection make sure the connection you just created is selected (i.e. the radio button beside it is active)

Tap OK in the top left

Make sure that My ISP (or the new one you created) is selected in the top drop-down box

Tap OK in the top left again twice

Try connecting to the web with Pocket IE, e.g. to http://pdaportal.us or to a pop email account.

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Thank You BrianG, You are a star
    :cool:

if you plan on using GPRS a lot make sure to look at their GPRS 3MB inclusive package (unfortunately they only have one currently available) rather than their standard "pay as you use" rate

it can be easy to eat a lot of data with a Pocket PC Phone Edition device. maybe have a look at getting a GPRS traffic monitor if you haven't already, SPB GPRS Monitor is a good one. and/or make sure to check your GPRS usage on your 'My Vodafone' Account Details page to keep tabs on your usage

you can also set up MMS if you are interested?

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

thanks to search and dub...for this..saved me from the usual hell that is phone support in vodafone....

oh, just got yer message

i have the post pay with vodafone and am actually using an unlocked imate (as in what an xda actually is)

ta

• Advertisement

for MMS you need to set up a new connection, plus configure the MMS application

Tap:
    Start Menu
    Settings item
    Connections tab
    Connections icon
    Advanced tab
    Select Networks button

Select My MMS from the top Drop Down List (if available) and tap the Edit... button, you are brought to the Modem Tab in Connection Settings

OR

If My MMS isn't available create it by tapping New... and entering My MMS, then tap the Modem Tab

Tap the New.. button

Connection Name: Voda MMS GPRS
    Select Modem: Cellular Line (GPRS)
    Tap Next...

Access point name: mms.vodafone.net
    Tap Next...

User name: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Domain: (leave blank)
    Tap Finished...

You are brought back to the Modem tab in Connection Settings, if there is more than one connection make sure the connection you just created is selected (i.e. the radio button beside Voda MMS GPRS is active)

Tap OK in the top left once.

Now make sure from the top Drop Down list you select My ISP again (to make sure you can easily connect back to the GPRS Internet services again by default)

Tap OK in the top left twice to get back to the Settings Screen.

Now to configure the MMS application...

Tap:
    Start Menu
    Programs item
    MMS Composer
    Tools Menu (at bottom)
    Options...

Preferences Tab is displayed...
    Tap the Servers Tab
    Tap and hold on somewhere in the middle of the screen until the 'pop-up' menu appears
    Tap New

Server Name: Voda MMS
    Gateway: 10.24.59.200
    Server Address: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms

Tap OK and you are brought back to the Servers Tab
    Tap the Preferences Tab

Connect Via: My MMS
    Connect to Server: Voda MMS
    Tick, Retrieve Messages Immediately *
    Size Limit, Sending: e.g. 40k
    No attempts before aborting: e.g. 3
    Tick, Download on home network only (if required)

* if the message doesn't download immediately (automatically) you can open up the MMS app, select the message header and Tap 'Download' to get it

the only other issue is that WM PPCPE 2003 likes to keep it's GPRS sessions active so you can find your session to the MMS APN remains active after a send or receive so you may have to manually disconnect (holding down the hang-up button for a few seconds)

you can test it out receiving by sending yourself an MMS using the Picture Album available in your My Vodafone account on www.vodafone.ie, or sending one to an email address... or testing it out with a friends who has an MMS enabled handset on O2 or Vodafone

BrianG

jeeze Brian...do you ever leave your house!

i cant find anyone in vodafone that even knows what a PDA is..

why dont they have a web page with this stuff on it..or maybe they do..but i centainly cant find it..

thanks a mill dude..im about to try now..

:D

Houston..we have liftoff..cleared the tower!!!

thanks Dub!!

jeeze Brian...do you ever leave your house!

i do :), on train to Kildare at the moment if that counts...
    i cant find anyone in vodafone that even knows what a PDA is..

why dont they have a web page with this stuff on it..or maybe they do..but i centainly cant find it..

Vodafone Ireland don't offer this particular device so you might have issues looking for support with it... their dedicated data support might try and help out though...

good to hear you got sorted out anyhow

BrianG

Dub,

one more favour...i got the mms thing done,. i can send no problem -- i receive a notice that i have an mms..but the pic never appears even wehn i click download

any suggestions?

ta matey

• Advertisement

hi, is there an other GPRS session in use at the same time? (e.g. your ISP connection is still active)?

Dub,

donno but i dont think so. any quick way of checking?

thanks for responding AGAIN

hi, if there is an active GPRS connection the signal icon (at the top beside the Volume icon) will have two arrows on it, when there is no active connection it looks like an antenna

to disconnect an active GPRS connection you can hold down 'hang up' button for a few seconds

BrianG

sorry brian was away on hols...i will try that

Okay...just tried it...

i get the MMS receiving icon..but it appears to do bugger all.

hi, have you been able to receive MMS messages ok on another device (using your SIM)?

also, can you open Programs and the MMS Composer App, Tap the Tools Menu, About... and post what version you have... and then in Settings, System, Device Information... what ROM version are you on?

do any messages / errors appear?

BrianG

hey brian,

the mms version is 1.6.0.14

i will try to receive the mms pics tonight on an mms compat nokia.

and the rom version : 1.66.00WWE

thanks dude for all the help

tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

ken90 wrote:
    Thank You BrianG, You are a star
    :cool:
    I totally agree with that comment ! My I-mate is now properly functional. Thanks man :-)

Advertisement