Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Roy?

• 05-03-2004 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/03/05/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Keane_Lead.html
    Of more concern to Ferguson will be the guarded but positive reaction Republic of Ireland coach Brian Kerr has given to Keane's recent revelation that he would be willing to consider coming out of international retirement in time for the World Cup qualifying campaign that starts next autumn.

Keane has not played for his country since dramatically walking out of their World Cup training camp in Japan nearly two years ago but he has already been talked out of one return after initially indicating to Kerr that he would turn out for his country again.

A fortnight ago, the 32-year-old again claimed to have 'unfinished business' with Ireland and while Kerr was shrewd enough not to raise his hopes too much, he accepted a recall was possible provided the United skipper conformed to his rules.

"If Roy wants to make himself available in the future, I have no problems with that. But ultimately, I'll be in charge," Kerr told the Dublin Evening Herald.

"The team will be run my way. Anyone who comes into the panel will be treated exactly the same as the rest of the squad.

"Every player has to be committed and has to live within the rules of the team.

"Everybody knows how to get in touch with me if they want to come back. But anyone who wants to return has to know it's right for them.

"There is no point if a player who has retired from international football says he wants to play for us again, only to find out that his club manager does not agree."

The last reference was a clear signal to Keane that he needs to solve the undoubted issues Ferguson has over his international commitments before he decides to make an international comeback.

Ferguson is already limiting his captain's appearances this season in order to try and prolong a career that has been ravaged by a series of serious injuries, notably the hip operation 18 months ago that placed question marks over Keane's entire career.

And, given the midfielder's importance to the United side, it is unlikely his manager would look too kindly on the thoughts of him appearing on the international stage once again.

Could Fergie be the only obstacle standing in a Roy Keane return to the fold?

Looks like Brian Kerr is being diplomatic at least.....

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I wonder if the Roy / Fergie relationship is as stong as it once was.

Roy must look at the last 6 weeks and wonder how the team has managed to squander a narrow lead over Arsenal to being 7, then 9 points behind.

And he will be thinking that Fergie should've been doing something to counteract the Rio problem, should not be leaving him (Roy) out of games at all at this crucial stage of the season (especially since he has successfully changed the pace of his game, without compromising his effectiveness), and shouldn't be bothering with an argument over a horse that appears to be destabilising the club from board level to terraces.

I'd like to see Fergie ask Roy not to go back, that is if Roy wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

personally i'd love to see keano play for ireland again but there are loads of people who dont because of the whole world cup thing. there is a lot of poeple out there that would bitch and moan about him playing for ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Agreed woosaysdan the Irish football supporters have no memories.

Roy Keane pulled that team to the World Cup by the scruff of its neck..

I stopped supporting the Ireland team the day the so called fans booed Keano against Iceland at Lansdowne, that was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

And it was all thanks to McCarthy and Cathal Dervan, go out and boo Keane my arse, what a player, what a man, I hope he comes back, we could beat France then, at least at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

I would like him back because of what he can do on the pitch, but he is still an asshole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whether you think hes a ****wit or not, theres no denying we need him so much.
    Midfield is just jokingly weak atm, and he can bring us to a higher level.
    He'd be 34 by the 2006 Finals, he probably wants to retire internationally after bringing the team to 1/4's or somethign int eh world cup.

Question:

Would he be Captian?

I know he'd act as it, but who'd get the arm band :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

well it all sounds great i.e keane might return for ireland but in all fairness keane will help but not to the extent he would off 2-3 yrs ago.
    if keane was to return for ireland he wud be expected to defend,create and score goals which now he is no longer able to do to the effect he wud of done. we have already seen the way fergie is looking after him as he knows that his time is soon up!
    in alll fairness bringing him back wud make no real difference-wud prob only upset the team spirit. he wud be 35 for the next world cup where he wud be expected to run the show and that is not possible now not alone 2 yrs time. our time with keane was in the last world cup and of course that feel apart. we must move on and let sleeping dogs lie and anyway we wud need 10 keanes to beat france!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have nothing against Keane but now I really couldn't care if he comes back or not. In fact, I probably wouldn't want him back as he said he would only play in the qualifiers and retire before the world cup. If we do qualify the likes of Andy Reid or Miller wouldn't have the international experience to jump into the team for the all important cup as Keane would have taken there place during the qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

dear god don't let him back. He'd do far too damage to the team unity and character. He's nearly washed up now anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah, but if he did come back, it would create a possible Man United centre midfield.

Miller and Keane could both play alongside each other for Man United and Ireland, which would be an incredibly advantage.

It would also develop Miller's play a lot, which Fergie would like :)

Win Win situation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by vorbis
    dear god don't let him back. He'd do far too damage to the team unity and character. He's nearly washed up now anyways.
    What a big pile of shít. Most of the players have already stated to the press that they would welcome him back.

How are you to know whether he is washed up or not?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

This thread better not degenerate into a saipan debate.

I think his return would be beneficial. the likes of young miller and A.Reid would learn a lot from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I would like to see him back. He may not be the playing force he once was but his leadership qualities on the pitch can not be questioned and as has already been said would be beneficial to the younger players.

I would also welcome his return as it would bring closure on the Saipan incident and let let him be remembered as he should be as one of the greatest players ever to pull on the green Jersey instead of the bitter feelings that persist at the moment. He has made mistakes but if he truly wants to return he should be facilitated IMO, I think we own him that for the good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Hes not ever going to come back people and i wish he would stop taunting us by saying he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hes not going to come back kids. GET OVER IT.

What this incident proves more than anything is what a good man Brian Kerr is.

Originally posted by Brian Kerr
    "Every player has to be committed and has to live within the rules of the team.
    "Everybody knows how to get in touch with me if they want to come back. But anyone who wants to return has to know it's right for them.

"There is no point if a player who has retired from international football says he wants to play for us again, only to find out that his club manager does not agree."

While a lot of managers might be falling over themselves to prostrate themselves in front of keane, kerr makes it clear that there is no place in his team for players who will pick and choose what games they will play or make their own decisions about how an international team should be run.

Hes also making it painfully clear that he can see through keanes little games.

If keane truly wanted to make a return, he would get in contact with kerr or someone within the irish setup, not a press pool. Mind you, doing business through the press seems to be his modus operandi these days.

Keane has shown since he walked away from the world cup that he has very little respect for the irish team (changing mind on comeback, timing of all his little proclamations) and i think Kerr is well aware of this. Pity the same cant be said for most of the posters here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Keanes going about it all the wrong way. If the fella was interested and hungry enough play for Ireland to the degree that I as a fan want him (or any player) to be then he'd have got on his knees and BEG to be let back into the panel.

Even when/if that happened I'd still hope Kerr'd tell him to f-off back to Manchester and stop bothering the Irish setup with his PR motivated press campaigns and pick'n'mix attitude. Keane showed his true colours back in 2002 and that should be enough to convince any punter that he's a waste of time and doesn't deserve to play for Ireland.

No, better to put our trust in the young players we have in the panel and forget about Mr.K and his bad attitude altogether. After all it's guys like Reid, Miller etc who'll hopefully make this team great again someday - not some over the hill assclown with a chip on his shoulder.

==

And just before you bleeding hearts go spouting on about how Keane single-handedly drags us into tournament after tournment just check this simple stat.

Number of successful qualification campaigns involving Keane = 2
    Number of UN-successful qualification campaigns involving Keane = 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He loves his country more than we think:
    http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Other&id=12363&viewstory=yes
    United skipper Keane has revealed how he was happy to hobble off injured in the Reds' 2-1 FA Cup win over Fulham - because it meant he could watch the rugby!.

The United skipper was substituted 15 minutes before the end of Saturday's Old Trafford showdown with a knee injury.

But rather than get too downbeat about the injury as he would normally do, the Irish midfielder revealed how an early bath allowed him to get home in time to watch his beloved Ireland beat world champions England in the Six Nations.

Speaking at the launch of Manchester's 12-day Irish Festival extravaganza, which is building up to the huge crescendo, that it St Pats' day, Keane said:

"It was obviously disappointing to go off injured, but it did mean I could watch the rugby.

"But it was a fantastic result for Ireland", the influential Cork man said.

Advertisement