Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB, new cap info

• 05-03-2004 7:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I just rang sales and this is what i was told, he apparently just came out of a meeting on the matter. March 8th wer're all bumped over the the new package + 24:1 contention.

16GB + 16GB upload and download cap...meaning 16GB for download AND 16GB for upload = 32GB for both up and down.

The caps are going to be enforced STRONGLY, meaning if you go over you will be cut off until the end of the month, i was told that abuse of the service will no longer be tolerated as it's not fair on everyone.

Meaning that heavy downloaders/abusers are messing up speeds for others and Esat will be enforcing the new policy.

So all round this is good news, i firmly belive in a cap and it being enforced, as a moderate user i don't want my download speeds to be affected by bit torrent or users engaging in illegal activity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

You say "we" as in all us on the 48:1 512 package?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    You say "we" as in all us on the 48:1 512 package?!

Yes...current IOLBB users who signed up prior to the new packages being announced will be moved over automatically on March 8th, unless you ring them and formally request to be downgraded to the new lower cost package with higher contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    16GB + 16GB upload and download cap...meaning 16GB for download AND 16GB for upload = 32GB for both up and down.
    Strictly speaking, that's "OR" not "AND". You'll be cut off if you download more than 16G OR if you upload more than 16G.

You can have 15.9G up and 15.9G down, and be fine. But 16.1G down and 1G up and you'll have exceeded the limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

So all round this is good news, i firmly belive in a cap and it being enforced, as a moderate user i don't want my download speeds to be affected by bit torrent or users engaging in illegal activity.

cheese.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

Is the usage calculator actually accurate though? When I was getting my counter reset last month (it was stuck on 0.0) I was told I had downloaded 8.4gb I think. Yet after they reset my counter it said 6.5gb. DUmeter said 7.4gb! How do you know for real, especially if they're going to be strict?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They are already strict for Gods sake!!:mad:, I've been kicked off twice already - so in other words it's business as usual:rolleyes:. Nice one meatball:D.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'm afraid both of you are wrong regarding the cap, you have 16gig and it is shared between upload and download, therefore let's say for example you downloaded 15gig and uploaded 1 gig in a month, that's 16gig, that's your cap gone, however you could choose to upload 15gig and download 1gig, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

No - I'm afraid it is YOU who is wrong, the download and upload is NOT combined. We have been through this a million times with plenty of evidence. Now unless you have some evidence to prove me wrong, I will ignore your post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by Soldie
    I'm afraid both of you are wrong regarding the cap, you have 16gig and it is shared between upload and download, therefore let's say for example you downloaded 15gig and uploaded 1 gig in a month, that's 16gig, that's your cap gone, however you could choose to upload 15gig and download 1gig, etc etc.

it's not combined, i spoke to sales directly...it's as the person above said, 15.9GB for up + 15.9GB for down.

I remember him saying to me exactly the part about 15.9, i simply forgot this when i made my original post. Ripwave is correct on all counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

it's not combined, i spoke to sales directly...it's as the person above said, 15.9GB for up + 15.9GB for down.
    Um, I wouldn't take a single rep's take on information as the proper version of things. IOL have a knack of having salespeople *who give incorrect/conflicting information.

[*edit: reworded for clarity ;)]

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by oneweb
    Um, I wouldn't take a single rep's take on information as the proper version of things. IOL have a knack of having salespeople give incorrect/conflicting information.
    There have been a numer of posts of screenshots from the old usage counter that made it very clear that there were two seperate limits - a person with 6G down and 4G up being told he had 2 G left (on the old 8 G system). If and when people have combined up and down traffic greater than 16G on the new package (sometime in the next week, probably) I'm sure we'll see new screenshots that either confirm that the same methodology is in place, or that it's a new, combined cap. In the meantime, unless you can post hard evidence to the contrary, lets just assume that the cap is calculated the same way.

(And IOL don't have salespeople give incorrect/conflicting information - IOL just doesn't tell their salespeople anything, so they have to make it up as they go along).

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

So guys, just to clarify this, did the IOL guy confirm that new cap is on from 8th of March?

In other words, if I downloaded 6gb so far, does that mean I'm going to have 10 more for the rest of the month? Or will I have to cope with the 2gb I have left, and will enjoy 16gb only from the next month?

Everything will be in from the 8th of March new contention and new cap also the cap will be OR not AND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

AND OR AND OR AND OR AND OR...

Does anyone know for sure whether it is 15.9 upload and 15.9 download per month...

At the moment I think yes based on the fact the warning on IOL usage page says Download limit not usage limit meaning it's only checking download < 8 gb (presently)

X

The warning on iol is not only download. If you uploaded too much data the warning would be upload too. Plus. why would they suddenly change their policy to combined - it just wouldn't make any sense. Also did you not read the first post? One of the staff in IOL says the new cap is not combined, also there is another post somewhere by a guy who's friend works there, he also says it's not combined.

Well for a long time (since I got it) I thought IOL BB was combined I think I saw it on IrelandOffline comparison board or something... When I had one gig uploaded and 6 downloaded I was getting quite concerned!

Yes I read all the posts but I don't believe anyone from IOL... Any chance they get to lie they do so ...

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Yes I read all the posts but I don't believe anyone from IOL... Any chance they get to lie they do so ...

What the hell does that mean?

It means whenever i've tried to get a straight answer out of IOL they have mislead me and treated me like I was a fellow monkey.

It means whenever they said, "We will call you back..." they havent'

It means whenever they said, "It will be fixed tomorrow." It wasn't

It means whenever they say "Your line will be active tomorrow" it won't be...

That's what it means.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Have downloaded just over 4GB this month. Usage page says I will be disconnected in 7 days at current rate.

This implies it is still 8GB this month as I was told by phone on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Taken directly from iol.ie

Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    You are entitled to free upload or download of up to 16Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the eircom home starter plus service.

The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download. You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kida
    This implies it is still 8GB this month as I was told by phone on Friday.
    The phone monkey I talked to told me the opposite:rolleyes:, why do I still believe those idiots :mad:, this means I can't use the net for anything other then light browsing for the rest of the month - and it's only the 8th :mad: :mad: - POXY esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Arsemonger

Yeah,I've just got off the phone to Esat (35 minute wait) and some jackass told me that upgraded customers CANNOT upload AND download 16gb per month.

We can DL 16gbpm/UL 0gbpm,DL 0gbpm/UL 16 gbpm,DL 8gbpm/UL 8gbpm but not DL 16 gbpm/UL 16gbpm.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hahahahaha everyone is saying a different thing regarding combined upload download or seperate download upload. I guess we are all talking to different monkeys :)

Personally I am swayed to believing that you CAN
    download 15.9 GB and upload 15.9 GB in a month...

However as previously mentioned you can't download 17 GB and upload 15... coz then you would be over!!

But I guess we will have to wait till someone gets burned before we know for sure lol... I mean we could email Bill Murphy ;) lol Chances are he would have different info from the monkeys in the IOL support cages.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Arsemonger

I forgot to mention that 'detailed specifics' are being mailed out to us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

if you could upload 16Gigs and doanload 16Gigs it'd make more sense to have a 32gig cap which you divvy up between upload and download yourself, unless they want to maintain nice download contention ratios on the lines at the exchange (which would be full duplex).

http://members.boards.ie/daveydevil/iolusage.JPG

The only question now is when does it come into force?

http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/bbp_use.htm

The new usage moniter I just used has deleted my warning that was there 20 mins ago. I previously had a 19 day warning and that has gone. I'm gussing the new cap is in already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I assume it because the upload speed is only 128k they are hoping most people will not use it much.

They should really advertise it as 32GB(or alt leadt 2 X 16) for marketing purposes.

We should all try to get it in writing for this month. If you have it in writing they cannot really disconnect you. If all ask at least one of us should get it.(Obviously you would only want it if they said it is 16Gb for this month)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Hmm, I had a 23 day warning on my usage calculator this morning and that's now gone too.

• Advertisement

Well I checked this morning and it was showing me the "You will be disconnected in 15 days at current download usage" or whatever... now that message has gone... So that says to me that new download limit is in! wohooooo ;P Let's go crazy crazy crazy *ahem*

X

Advertisement