Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a "boards special" suggestion!

Options
  • 06-03-2004 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

First off, very nice to see a Irish company with competitive prices, there are so few... :(

Any way, my suggestion, what about a special for .ie domains?

Also, can a person (ie non business) register a domain name? Even if the domain is for startup / unoffical business?

thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

cherrio

We currently offer IE domains @ €45 when ordered with any of our shared hosting packages. This is the lowest possible price that we can offer and we make 0 from it.

If you are an individual you can register an IE domain as a sole trader. There are a number of ways of doing this:

Go to http://www.cro.ie/ and register a trading name (RBN - Registered Business Name). Once you have the cert (cost €30 afair) you can register an IE domain based on this

If you are trading as yourself ie. John Doe, trading as John Doe you are entitled to an IE domain based on your name. You would be required to get a letter from your accountant or solicitor stating this.

You can also register a domain under the "discretionary category" - which is literally that - at the IEDR's discretiion. In this instance you would need to prove why you wanted to register the domain.

If you have any other queries please feel free to post here, or contact us directly:
    sales@blacknight.ie
    059-9137101

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi Cherrio

I response to the question i have quoted below.
    I my self have a personal .ie domain name.
    There are some restrictions on getting www.yourname.ie
    As an example i will use the name John Ryan.

John Ryan can't buy the domain name www.johnryan.ie he can only by www.johnryan01.ie
    As there may be more that one John Ryan he has to add two numbers to the end of his name.
    You can also use your initals so www.jr.ie will not be granted but www.jr02.ie will be allowed.
    Your Initals have to appear in the order they appear on your birth cert.
    Originally posted by cherrio
    Also, can a person (ie non business) register a domain name? Even if the domain is for startup / unoffical business?

Blacknight suggests another was of getting a doman name below.

If you don't like the numbers at the end of your name I would go with Blacknights suggestion.
    Originally posted by blacknight
    If you are an individual you can register an IE domain as a sole trader. There are a number of ways of doing this:

Go to http://www.cro.ie/ and register a trading name (RBN - Registered Business Name). Once you have the cert (cost €30 afair) you can register an IE domain based on this

If you are trading as yourself ie. John Doe, trading as John Doe you are entitled to an IE domain based on your name. You would be required to get a letter from your accountant or solicitor stating this.

Eóin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

suppose you have a unique full name? yes - i'm the only one of me in the world ... guess i'd have to file a "discretionary category" ?

Hostyle
    personal names per se would not fit under discretionary, but you might be able to get it under another one. It depends on what your stated intention of use of the domain is.
    The IEDR has relaxed certain rules and regulations regarding the registration criteria and process, so it might be worth a "shot".
    If you would like to pursue the matter please let us know:
    sales@blacknight.ie or 059 913 7101

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Michele,

Just wondering what the situation is vis a vis getting a bandname.ie address? The band are still amateur (i.e. unsigned) but getting a website could be the first step!

I'd be looking at hosting it with your basic package.

• Advertisement

A band name should not be a problem. We would probably require a letter from them or something, but it would be more of a technicality rather than a "big" delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

So I want my own name as a .ie
    johndoe.ie

So I must get a RBN from CRO for approx e30, RBN1/A/B

According to http://www.cro.ie/template_generic.asp?ID=4&Level1=1&Level2=2&Level3=0&Level4=0&Level5=0
    Registration of a business name is obligatory if any individual... carries on business bunder a name other than their own true names..."

So the CRO think that John Doe doesn't need to register John Doe as a RBN, so will they look twice at the application and I'll have difficulties?

Vector

If you are "trading as" John Doe eg. if you were John Doe, IT Expert Extraordinaire, you would not need an RBN. A letter from your accountant or solicitor would suffice.

The rules and regulations governing IE domains are, for the most part, quite clear.

As you may know each ccTLD is governed by a different set of rules. The IE ccTLD rules have changed over time and are, by international standards, quite "sane".

If you have any queries please feel free to ask

Michele

No, simply PAYE citizen John Doe wanting name for personal website and email.

Originally posted by vector
    No, simply PAYE citizen John Doe wanting name for personal website and email.

Citizen John Doe would have to get their IE domain under the following regulations:
    "Category 1: Personal Name

Requirements:
    The applicant must provide documentary evidence of the applicant's legal name: e.g., a copy of the applicant's passport or birth certificate.
    Domain Options:
    Personal names must consist of the initial letter from each of two or more of the words which comprise the legal personal name of the applicant, in the order in which these words occur in the name, followed by any two digits to be requested by the applicant. As an example, John Citizen could register jc01.ie"

This is taken from the IEDR regulations as published at:
    http://www.iedr.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

• Advertisement

ok, so

John Doe can get jd01.ie easily (whic is cr@p),
    but if he wants johndoe.ie the thing to do is get a
    RBN for e30 from the CRO.

Yep

I have em80.ie myself.

I like it.

Eóin

sounds catchy, wouldn't you also like eoinmoloney.ie

No.

But i would like my last name dot .ie but some one has already squatted on that.

Eóin

Advertisement