Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best browser?

Options
  • 06-03-2004 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I used to think that nothing could replace Internet Explorer. I got a link from a friend a while back for Mozilla firebird so I downloaded it and used it infrequently but didn't really explore the features much. But gradually I've weaned myself off IE and am now using firefox (new name for firebird) exclusively and browsing is so much better now. If you haven't used it before you should give it a try. The tab feature where you can click on a link and the relevant page opens in the background in a separate "tab" within the main browser window is a phenomenal feature.

Anyone else made the move from IE and whaddya think?

firefox is at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Havent used IE in 2-3 years, been using mozilla for near 2, and Firebird/Firefox since 8months or so ago

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

firefox is the best nothing beats it.

i'm a newbie at it though 2 months but i will never touch IE again.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

used mozilla then firefox cos the middle click to open new tab thingy didn't work with my mx-700. both whip IE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm an Avant man meself. Everything Firefox has without the nasty bookmark and carat glitches. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I'd say one of the main resons for Firefox being such a success is because 1 its an excellent browser, but the main reason is security with all the new exploits for IE its no wonder plp are switching over.

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I've been using Mozilla for ages, recently installed Firefox though and I think this is going to be my browser of choice from now on.
    All the fun of Mozilla but faster for some reason :)

Originally posted by joePC
    the main reason is security with all the new exploits for IE
    That's true, although of course Outlook and Outlook Express are primarily to blame for the current havoc. And of course the people that run them are ultimately to blame, because they don't update their softtware and they still open attachments even though they've been told not to time and time again. Same goes for IE, if the security settings are correct and people don't accept unsigned executables, they wouldn't be exploited. So ultimately the stupidity of a majority of the human race is to blame.

(Yes, yes, I realise that Microsoft is to blame too for not setting defaults correctly, I'm just saying that a lot of the time common sense seems to go out the window.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

I'd switch back to IE in a flash if it had the Tabs thingy. Dont really like the way Firefox displays bookmarks, and I've found it to be glitchy in general huh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

FIREFOX.

Coolest name,
    Coolest browser,
    Shit loads faster than IE
    Much less open to attack
    Tabbed browsing

etc. etc. etc.

Bring on the take over of open source!

I haven't found it glitchy, but I have to agree on the bookmarks. They are getting better though -- I think they added "folders first" recently, which was one big complaint of mine (you'll find it in Bugzilla :)).

The browser I linked earlier in the thread (Avant) is a tabbed browser that uses the IE rendering engine, and the developer just added Mozilla-style mouse gestures too. There's an ongoing issue with memory leaks, but it's improving and it only seems to affect some people.

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The browser I linked earlier in the thread (Avant) is a tabbed browser that uses the IE rendering engine, and the developer just added Mozilla-style mouse gestures too. There's an ongoing issue with memory leaks, but it's improving and it only seems to affect some people.

adam

yeah adam I just installed it. Really impressed !!! IE with tabs !!! Sweet biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Firefox 0.8

I can see it becoming even more popular once 1.0 is released.

Are people here updating every so often to the latest nightly builds? I'm sticking to 0.8 final (20040206), because tabs don't close anymore when I use the latest builds (these ones).

I read somewhere that 0.9 is due out in April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Mozilla for me :)

Any excuse I get I try to convert ppl to Moz or Firefox - do it now, you'll be glad you did ;)

It is what it's.

Originally posted by plazz2000
    I can see it becoming even more popular once 1.0 is released.
    I agree with you there, and I think the same'll go for Thunderbird. It could be a fun return to the heady days of the browser wars, but only if Microsoft decides to play. That'll be a tricky decision for them, but I think that ultimately they'll have to if they don't want to see more slippage to Linux on the desktop. I reckon that's nearing v1.0 too. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

FireFox 0.8
    god damn its sweet:)

do an adaware scan then use internet explorere for half an hour, then do another adaware scan & i think you'll be put off ie for life.

Originally posted by tman
    do an adaware scan then use internet explorere for half an hour, then do another adaware scan & i think you'll be put off ie for life.
    See, this is what I'm talking about. I go to loads of nasty sites with Avant (which is just IE with a different frontend), and I run Ad-Aware once a month like clockwork. All it every picks up is tracking cookies.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Opera mofos - yer only browser.

Avant is really nice. Some of you should try it. Its only a 2meg file download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

'nother opera fan here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I use Opera because it's what I'm used to, but as long as it's not IE I'm happy enough. Mouse gestures and tabs own your ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

was about to say firebird untill i heard of this mouse gestures thing..
    im intruiged..

delay answer until later.

IE is a waste of precious space at the moment. .. ..
    avant looks nice but prefer regular tabs..

nah firefox still rules..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Firefox now that i have the adblocking and spell checking working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Firefox, which btw, also has a mouse gesture extension (which I haven't tried).

It also has lots of other awesome extensions. At the moment, the ones I have installed are:
    - Image zoomer (makes any image within a page larger or smaller)
    - AdBlock (Use wildcards to block urls to banners and ads, etc. You don't even see an empty space where the ads used to be, it makes browsing so much better)
    - EditCSS (Developer extension, lets you view and edit the CSS file of any sites and see the results in realtime)
    - Web Developer Extension (Awesome set of features perfect for any kind of webdeveloper, highly recommended)
    - Japanese page translator (Translates pages from Japanese into English with 1 click)

And there are hundreds more I haven't tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

OPERA of course! :)

Been using it for ages and it's excellent. Couldn't live without tabbed browsing, tbh.
    I also have Firefox but haven't really given it a fair try yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i use opera as well and like it, though i have to say if i need some quite quickly i find myself going back to IE as i'm just more used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I try to avoid IE whenever possible. The single most annoying feature of IE is that when you Ctrl+N for a new window you have to wait a computing eon before you have reliably editable address bar.

I've been using Firefox (neé Firebird, neé Phoneix) since 0.4 and find it excellent (with an occasional bug). I even used to keep an installed copy in my College network drive space to avoid having to use IE in suites.

The only times I use IE are:

- At work to access the company intranet.
    - Web Development to ensure cross browser compatability
    - A very small few sites that are poorly designed and won't work under non IE browsers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mozilla Firefox, your only man :)

How does Avant compare to MyIE2 (www.myie2.com)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    - A very small few sites that are poorly designed and won't work under non IE browsers

Like ulsterbank online banking - make it work with opera you swines......

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    avant looks nice but prefer regular tabs..

you can customise avant so bloody much cool.gif. I have the tabs looking exactly like it did in Firefox. Plus the fact that Avant starts so much quicker than firefox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    The only times I use IE are:

- At work to access the company intranet.
    <snip>
    I read that Mozilla now had NTLM authentication capabilities. Have you tried moz on your intranet, 'cos I'm very curious to know how it copes.

It is what it's.

Advertisement