Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best browser?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Always used IE, but just isntalled AVANT there and its quite impressive.

Not the memory hog that IE is. It could very well become my default :D

Tabbed windows and REALLY quick. Nyom

/edit

Just browed thru the options. God this browser is TEH SECKS ! Highly recommend it. It IS going to be my browser of choice from now on...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Kenshin
    Firefox, which btw, also has a mouse gesture extension (which I haven't tried).
    You should. Once you've used them for a week or so you'll wonder how you ever lived without them!
    Originally posted by k.oriordan
    How does Avant compare to MyIE2 (www.myie2.com)?
    Dunno really Kevin, I haven't used it in a while. I tried that, then Netcaptor and then someone on Open pointed out Avant to me. At the time, Avant was the best of the bunch.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Opera man myself, I dunno if I want yet another browser on C drive.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

IE6 with all updates thus far.

I had opera before on the pc...but after a few fdisks [nothing to do with opera] I just kept with IE.

Didn't bother with anything else on the laptop...IE is just fine imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

for those of you wondering how a browser can be "faste" than another browser, here's the fast answer.

Each webpage has loads of items on it, text, pictures, links etc. Each of thses is treated as a seperate object, and downloaded one by one. Internet Exporer downloads a max of 2 objects at a time (it could be 4). So, if you have a high ping connection, it could take several seconds to download 50 small objects.

Firefox can open up to 16 connections (i think) and therefore it can download the same 50 small objects in 1/8 the time of internet explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

From ages ago...
    --
    Internet Explorer is a surprising winner in the settlement.
    Neglected by Microsoft for several years, the browser was recently described here as looking "more tired than a shemale street walker in San Francisco's Tenderloin on a Saturday night". In comparison with more modern browsers such as Opera, noted Ashlee Vance, "it's just a rectangle".
    --
    :)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I thought I'd discovered the "holy grail" of browsing. It's a pity that more don't use it. I've a few websites and it's 86 to 90% that use IE according to the stats. I was one of those poor creatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Multiple home pages!!!!

No need to spend 5mins opening all your fave pages each time

Thats the best feature i think

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Mozilla Firefox all the way. So many cool features and extras. I've been using it aboout a year now and it has changed the way i use the internet completely. Favourite features have to be having a group of tabs as my home page and being able to open a group of tabs from your bookmarks at one click. Also I find the search bar in the corner very handy- If anybody is using the Google Ireland search engine plugin - I WROTE THAT :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Mozilla Firefox 0.8 with All-in-one Gestures (mouse gestures), Adblock, FBRH & x Extensions.

Couldn't beat it, even with a great big stick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by bazH
    Multiple home pages!!!!

No need to spend 5mins opening all your fave pages each time

Thats the best feature i think

What browser is that? Would love a browser that opens random home pages. Would be great for work with my **** of a boss who arrives over when I'm in the middle of loading up windows and it looks like I'm doing **** all. Would be cool if random work sites were loaded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Just tried them all after reading this thread and Avant wins hands down! very fast and TABs plus the mouse gestures and small enough to bring a copy around on my memory stick so I can convert all my customers over to it!!!!! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Just had to add my bit here.

Changed from Mozilla to Mozilla FireFox and its excellent....

Why don't Microsoft Learn?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Jokah
    Just had to add my bit here.

Changed from Mozilla to Mozilla FireFox and its excellent....

Why don't Microsoft Learn?????????????
    'Cos the internet will never take off?

It is what it's.

Advertisement