Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband home plus

• 06-03-2004 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

eircom broadband home plus in this package what do u recieve in the post do u get like firewall and a modem thats all i kinda know i would like to know what else i get and is it easy to self install................... ?

Also i have found out that if u have ur line is registerd ISDN line ur automaticly going to fail the online test and tests with the bb telephone ordering peeps so i investigated more and found out what it is, its they dont want to bother with the peeps with old lines in there area and peeps with isdn or anything out of the ordinary with there phone line till they get bb up and running everywhere first ............... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

did you ring istream sales as i segested?
    what did they say?
    eircom dont give you firewall software
    you just get a modem and adsl filter
    connect the modem to your pc by usb or ethernet
    plug the filter into your phone socket then plug the modem and phone into the filter

since you have isdn you will have to downgrade to pstn and then get adsl
    or order an engineer intall and get your phone switched back to pstn and adsl installed in the same day

option 2 is more expensive but alot less hassle its what i did

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I did that also just a month ago, had isdn, got engineer install, the whole process only took an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Now that I've deciphered the thread starter, you'll be glad to know that the line tester does work with ISDN. At least it did for me. It has never shown me as "pass" since I downgraded to PSTN and got ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by tuxx
    eircom dont give you firewall software
    The firewall functionality in the router (not modem) that eircom supplies is far more effective at protecting you from inbound connection attempts than the 3 month free trail of Norton Internet Security that IOL provides. (IOL also provide a router that protects you from inbound connection attempts, but the default settings on the IOL router apparently let anyone who wants to hijack it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the default settings on ANY router allow anyone to kijack it... providing you were stupid enough to not change the password.

The first thing you should do with your new router is.... CHANGE THE PASSWORD ONIT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    the default settings on ANY router allow anyone to kijack it... providing you were stupid enough to not change the password.
    Bollox - the default settings on my D-Link router don't allow remote admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Bollox - the default settings on my D-Link router don't allow remote admin.

yup its the same for my router the Cayman Netopia (the one that comes with eircom dsl)remote admin is off by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

I got a guy to down grade me to psdn but he left the line in my room and isdn box will that effect my broad band ??????????????

Advertisement