Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Caymen-router question

• 06-03-2004 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I have eircom bb for a few months now and have a netopia caymen 3341. I also bought a lynksys etherfast DSL router ( BEFSR81). after much playing around i cant seem to get it to work. I want to distribute the broadband around the house. Someone mentioned that i have the wrong hardware and all i need is a switch or hub. What is the difference between a switch and a hub and has anyone got any reconmendations on what i should buy? I'm about to make an order on komplett so will buy one there if they have one.

Thanks,

Hugh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Your basic problem is that you've got a bit of an overlap with you equipment. For what you're trying to do you need a modem, a router, and a switch (a hub and a switch perform the exact same function, but the switch gives better performance). Your netopia cayman is a modem/router, and your linksys is a router/switch. Now in theory, having 2 routers connected together shouldn't be a problem, unless there are some IP conflicts going on or something. If you can disable the routing function on either device it would probably solve your problem. Having neither of them though, I can't help you with that.

If they are incompatible, you could either get a new ethernet modem to go with your linksys, or a new switch to go with your netopia. A new switch should be a good bit cheaper. I wouldn't bother getting it from Komplett. Because they are so cheap, you won't save enough money to cover the shipping. I got one from itdirect a couple of weeks ago for a little over €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Get a switch or a hub.

The netopia modem plugged directly into the switch will work for all PC's afaik

Advertisement