Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of questions

Options
  • 06-03-2004 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

I just got myself 2 160GB SATA hdd which I am planning to be RAIDed. I have a couple of questions:

1. Windows XP will format the drive to NTFS. Can I partition part of my hdd to FAT32. Whats the advantages of having NTFS/FAT32?

2. What would be the optiimal size for my hdd partitions?

3. I read that with RAID0 I would need to constatly back up my drive. Does that mean back up everything on my drive or just the important stuff? Will backup compress my data or do I need to get a similiar hdd for backups? What is the best backup software available?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If your setting the drives up in RAID 0 then I would say stay with NTFS why would you want FAT32......
    The optiomal size would be the maximum 160Gb on each.
    As for backing up, you stand the same risk using one drive as you do with 2 in RAID 0 if a drive fails which is rare then you will lose all data.
    I find if you buy yourself a USB drive 80Gb or whatever you can make them up yourself, then just copy the files you want to backup, depend really on what you use the comp for.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up joePC :)

Advertisement