Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Everything Slllllllooooooooow Again Today?

• 06-03-2004 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

I am finding access to various sites slow again today. I am with IOLBB.

GB--

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

same here !
    pics are even loading slow and recently some pics dont even load, red x come sup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

thank goodness for that, lets hope things improve from Monday, at least I am not alone!!

gb--

well boards.ie is working fast now, so are others.
    but l;ast night it was quite VERY slow.

I was out last night but this board is not too bad but others are very slow.

gb-

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

How slow are we talking about?

I'm currently on dial-up and thinking about signing up with IOLBB or Clicksilver. I have to say I'm in two minds at the moment after reading a lot of the posts on these forums.

How reliable is the service as a rule?

• Advertisement

Paul I got IOLBB last Sept and it has been fantastic. It is only these past 2 weeks I have noticed one or 2 hiccupps but there is so much muck flying around at the mo I am not surprised. It is just becuase it has been so good that when things go wrong one tends to blame their own kit initially but this is not the case. I am in Clare.

It is defenitely worth getting and new offers are out from 8th March.

This is just a blip!
    gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Cheers gb, that's reassuring.

Looks like I'll be signing up shortly so. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Broadband rocks....

No doubt about it, kick that dialup connection if you can...

Broadband might be dodgy sometimes but when it works (which is often) it's a treat....

Downloads... online gaming... mp3 downloading... if of course you are one of those damn evil accursed pirates that are sucking the life blood out of the recording industry.. cough cough.. yeah right...

But be warned. If you make the jump up to broadband you will never be able to cope with dialup again. It's a change for life... no going back...

X

VERY SLOW now, my website wont even load.

ffs.

I'm ok here in CLARE on some boards but others are crawling and I am switching browers.

GB--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

UTV clicksilver has been slow since yesterday, they told me Eircon had or has a problem. Still very poor 8.00pm Sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I haven't experienced any slow down... must be region specific... I'm in Longford area. (midlands to all you dubs ;))

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'm with Netsource and my page loads have gone to hell ... firefox isnt loading some pages at all because it has a lower timeout setting .. I had to go back to IE to see some of my usual pages .... luckily boards isnt too bad...

I can ping the sites ok ... just web browsing is cat slow

actually it seems to be american sites that are suffering worst

Clicksilver still slow today downloads between 20-30 kps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Getting 440 on Giganews here on Clicksilver, which is as fast as it's ever been. Mabye your suffering from contention blues.

Dont think its a contention issue as the download speed has been steadily slow ie not much variation from around half normal speeds (around 440ish) since Saturday am. It just went off alltogether a minute ago.....

I hope this isnt a ruse to get us to go for the 24/1 package...

Its more likely to be an Eircon issue in the Terenure/Knocklyon area..

Just tested on Giganews 240 is my number (total rubbish) Thats a very usefull link thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

im on iolbb and its been far slower than usual all day
    im in cork .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'm on netsource in Cork and getting 420 now ... wish I checked when it was slow .... [kiss of death]seems alright so far[/kiss of death]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i just tested and got 162..
    this have anything to do with the "big change" ?..
    this is like browsing on56k .. :( :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

118 here - IBB pointing to the Guinness mast. Its been slow all weekend. I just rang and left a message for IBB.

Interestingly, I've just done a test downloading from one the heanet mirrors (try http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrake-iso/i586/MandrakeLinux-10.0-rc1-CD1.i586.iso )and I'm getting a steady 53 KBs transfer rate (this is the equivalent of 424 in the giganews test) so it defo seems to be a backbone issue somewhere rather than a connection issue. IBB is wireless obviously so it isn't an Eircom exchange issue (not to say it ain't an Eircom backbone issue of course).

I'll let you know if IBB can shed any light on it. Do IOL/UTV/Eircom have any support sites where they post known issues that might give us a clue as to whats going on?

Cheers,
    Colm

Its very poor with me now 10kbps to 24kbps D16 area

Rang utv yesterday and again this evening.

havn't had this problem before always 54kbps very rarely 40-45kbps.

Still I suppose its a little better than dial up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Aepos
    Its very poor with me now 10kbps to 24kbps D16 area

Rang utv yesterday and again this evening.

havn't had this problem before always 54kbps very rarely 40-45kbps.

Still I suppose its a little better than dial up!!!
    Please tell me you mean KB/s not kbps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Phibsboro
    Do IOL/UTV/Eircom have any support sites where they post known issues that might give us a clue as to whats going on?

eircom never have any issues biggrin.gif

yes of course you are correct kb/s, my mistrake!

just to follow up on this - I am getting 468 tonite from the giganews test site ( http://www.giganews.com/comps/test_connect.mhtml ) which is fine - its the equivalent of 58 KBs. For those who haven't worked it out yet, you divide the Kbps (bits per second) number by 8 to get the KBps number (Bytes per second). The Kbps number is what the ISP's quote (56k, 512k etc) while the KBps is the transfer rate you see when you download in window.

Anyways, looks like the slow down is over - yeah :)

Colm

I was getting 54Kbs at around 6pm but its gone to hell again now up anddown like a yo-yo 2-40kbs using giganews

For those who haven't worked it out yet, you divide the Kbps (bits per second) number by 8 to get the KBps number (Bytes per second).
    You actual have to divide by 8.192 because 1 kbit = 1000 bits whereas 1 KB = 1024 bytes....

And the correct units are:
    kilobits per second = kbits/s or kbps
    kilobytes per second = KB/s

8.192! Yikes! - you're right :) Its all so confusing.

What I should have said of course is that Kibibits/sec divded by 8 gives KibiBytes/sec :eek:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Colm

• Advertisement

What I should have said of course is that Kibibits/sec divded by 8 gives KibiBytes/sec :eek:
    A good example of engineers being too anal as usual.
    In communications engineering, which is what is relevant here, kilobit = 1000 bits and kilobyte = 1024 bytes = 8192 bits.

To confuse things a little bit more, communications engineers also use the term octet (as well as byte) to mean 8 bits.

There are no kilo-octets however....

Advertisement