Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Seminar at Trinity

Options
  • 06-03-2004 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Well I went today and it wasn't too bad at all. The booklet of notes was great and one of the lecturers (old man, baldish) was really enthusiastic and cracked a good few jokes. Like "We all know it wasn't an apple on the tree, it was a pear under it!" (Refering to Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden).

The actual lectures were quite insightful with some good hints and ideas. Unfortunately I had only done Plath, Frost, Heaney, Kavanagh and Mahon in the poets so I hadn't a clue what was going on when he started discussing Wordsworth and Dickinson etc.

The lecture hall (I was in the berkley one) was pretty comfy and those desk things that you can pull up are quite well engineered.

Anyone else go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

no its a bit far away for my liking. Get any good notes on Macbeth / Silas Marner / A Doll's House / Strictly Ballroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

No it was more general how-tos instead of specific texts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

i am going to the maths one (or two) on the 20th march and 3rd april. Aparently the guy who will be doing most of the lectures is the same guy who wrote the less stress, more success stuff. hopefully we get a nice set of notes, could do with a bit of paper two bashed into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Yeah I went.

Bit dissappointed. It was repetitive (don't story-tell, watch your time, don't story-tell.... watch your time), but yeah there were some good insights and the book is good. I learned a bit. That said, 6 hours with my English teacher and I would have learned more. And you're right, the tables in the Burke theatre are fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Duritz what's the story with the maths seminars? Can anyone go to them? I'd like to go but haven't heard anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

What theatre were you in angry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

twas ok, indeed. booklet was good.

i fnid my egnland has imporvued godoly snice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Originally posted by oeNeo
    Duritz what's the story with the maths seminars? Can anyone go to them? I'd like to go but haven't heard anything about it.

i dunno mate, my maths teacher sorted it for us. €30 for 1 paper, or €50 for the two papers, there was also a bit about doing the "Option" questions, but i didnt bother with it. George Humphries is the guy to contact, i'll see if i can get the number. They are on on the 20th of March (Paper 1) and and 3rd of Aprill (Paper 2)...the whole day. 8 Hours of maths, lovely!

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    What theatre were you in angry?

Burke

Originally posted by deimos
    twas ok, indeed. booklet was good.

i fnid my egnland has imporvued godoly snice

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages

• Advertisement
Advertisement