Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ireland england final score

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Anyone know where I can download highlights of this match?

Found a streaming media site but cant find a way to save the stream to hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

For sure, when Hickie and the others are back..........it will be fantastic

just wondering where did you all watch the legendary match????

In a moment of madness and not being able to push hard enough into other pubs at 3:45pm I watched it in 'Down Under' (Major Toms for the oldies) and it was great crack. The place was hopping mad and by god at around half five the cocktails where flowing...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

As far as i could see Bod and D'arcy switched positions a few times i think. At the end of the day we were playing with two outside centres.

evilhomer the way maggs plays is more typical of an inside centre: does the donkey work and crash balls.

Oh yeah would anybody else think Bod mite make a good flanker!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

England made mistakes in their selection at full back,centres,Hooker and wing forward and after that they confounded their mistake by not changing personal and tactic fast enough. Good fast ball from the tail of the lineout is what every team wants but if you hooker is missing his jumpers them hit the safety ball to the front for a while. You may not be running in tries in the corner from it but at least you hold possession. Lewsey looked like he didn't want to know about it and even a player like Robinson looks ordinary on the back foot. Nero did try hard but Fooley got the upper hand there. MOK gave a great display. I have been one of his critics but only because he is capable of that kind of performance but rarely enough delivers. BOD was very average and people may say he is out of position but alot of his error were unforced. o Connell was emmense and Easterbunny work like a trojan and gave great options at the lineout. A big mention to the Bull. A lot of his work goes unnoticed but his lifting is what enables MOK and O'Connell steal so much lineout. Rog had possible his best game in green and Darcy was excellent. Girvan finally decided to run some ball and was all the better for it. A great day and one long to be remembered. But now the focus has to be on Italy. One game at a time. And then Scotland for the trible crown and possible the Championship depend on results
    Could be a great season yet after all the doubts after the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With all the trumphalism its worth remembering
    that the final score was England 13 Ireland 19,
    it was'nt a whitewash.

England were on the attack for the last 15 and if a try had been conceeded by Ireland and then coverted, I can imagine the tone of the posts in this thread....

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes but the Irish defended well and held out to win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Originally posted by mike65
    The result certainly opens the tournament up, nothing is
    guarenteed now.

Mike.

ps Is Eddie O'Sullivan the most miserable coach in the world?

no i think the tension got to him. he was so tense he could not celabrate the win. I think this was as much eddie o sullivan and his management teams win as anybody, great tatics employed.

if you look at the game we won from the line outs and i also think the roling mauls was a key factor in the win because it allowed us to gain ground on the more physical english pack. anyone who has played or coached rugby knows that roling mauls are very hard to get right even most international teams cant quite prefect it.
    to get the roling mauls and line outs right doesnt happen by accident but more by good coaching.

Originally posted by Fudger
    when is Hickey due back anyway?

hickey will probably miss all the 6 nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by catsup
    did anybody else notice stringer getting a soccer-style foot trip (think it was dallaglio) during the game?

Joe Worsley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by mike65
    With all the trumphalism its worth remembering
    that the final score was England 13 Ireland 19,
    it was'nt a whitewash.

England were on the attack for the last 15 and if a try had been conceeded by Ireland and then coverted, I can imagine the tone of the posts in this thread....

Mike.

who said anything about a whitewash?

i think people are just happy to have beaten the world champions.
    you can look at mistakes by the england coaching staff, and you can look at on the pitch errors, but i think ireland were better on the day, and thats what counts.
    if we played again tomorrow, i would stand by by my original prediction on the day that england would win by 20 points.

i think that england were on the attack and didnt score is a good sign for the irish defence, dont you?

imagine if wilko hadnt dropped that (negative play) goal in the last 15 seconds against australia in the final of the world cup, would the tone of every english newspaper and rugby supporter be different.

at least try and be subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tummon

All i can say is a very late:

WE WON!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE WE WON!!!!!

I watched it from outside that pub in Temple Bar around the corner from the market,
    when i heard that cheer i came a running back to join in, it was GREAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Fudger
    Hmmmmmmm fair enough.................. ironic............ but understood...........

If you don't understand "banter" then you've never been in the terraces at Lansdowne. It's good-natured slagging, with which I have no problem with on this board. But don't step over the line. If you can't figure out where that line is then don't bother posting on this forum - it's for rugby fans.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I watched this in the Coyningham Arms hotel in Slane, at some friends wedding. We managed to see almost all of the game - fantastic stuff - what an excellent day, never to be forgotten! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by James Melody
    Enjoy your little moment of victory...In the long run Ireland will lose to England far more often than they will win...

In the long run...

How long do you want to make that run? The first season I remember watching was 1969 - yeah I'm OLD.

Since then we have played England 37 times, won 15 and lost 22. That's a 40 per cent record. (Check it out if you don't believe me, I just did this off the top of my head)

Given the disparities of wealth and population, not to mention rugby playing numbers, that's not a bad record.

Oh and a word of advice, so you're not misunderstood when posting tongue-in-cheek messages. Use emoticons, or add some line at the end that lets people know you're only messing. On the Internet nobody knows you're a dog. There's no tone of voice, no body language, no nudge nudge wink wink to infer that what you're saying should not be taken seriously. This is how flame wars often start.

I should know......;-)

HH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭purplemonkey

I know that I'm late in saying this but C'mon the Irish. We're now in-line for the Triple Crown. Hopefully England can beat France!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by daveirl
    The chances of us winning the whole thing are slim to none.

We had those chances saturday too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I won't rule out an English backlash after their defeat on Saturday god knows they have the depth in players and if they cop on with selection I'd say the France v England will be to tough to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

If it's any consolation to you James I'll be cheering on the English against the French - well yoiu have to beat them for us to win the championship:D

Great Irish performance from a team that has only been beaten by itself in recent times - the talent and ability is there, god knows the heart is. Eddie just has to get all three working together on a CONSISTANT basis.

And I watched the game in deepest Kerry in a bar with 30 of some of my closest friends:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Fearo

I liked this a lot :D

ireland.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by Fearo

now thats a great sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

hah! classic, bloody english. G'WAN IRELAND!!!

This is nicer though!
    woodward.jpg

it would be great if ireland could win the triple crown or even better again the championship. i think this is the best team to come from ireland since the early 80s and it deserves some thing for its efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Congrats to Ireland !!!

We only got the highlights in OZ (waiting for replay this week).

Bit disgruntled we couldnt seen it live.

Didnt stop Mrs R33F from wearing her Irish jersey all day sunday tho' !!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Originally posted by Fearo

ireland.jpg

Im thinking this is photoshoped image
    Logo on program in background a tad similar to:
    bb001_big1.jpg

Wasn't the game shown on BBC and not UTV? Im not sure about this as I watched it on RTE but heard Woody laying it into Johnston was worth atching it on the foreign chanell

Also the Jersey she is wearing is looking very soccerish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well spotted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blindboy

Yeah I just want to add my little bit as well. Ireland were outstanding in every way. But everyone is saying what happened to BOD he is playing out of position to a accomdate Darcy ALSO the way JAMES was saying that Ireland played a boring game WE BEAT ENGLAND AT THEIR OWN GAME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Christ, I wish people would stop excusing O'Driscoll having a bad game by claiming "He's playing out of position". He's still at centre, I mean it's hardly tight-head is it? I can't help wonder why Ireland din't completely fall apart when D'Arcy had to go to full-back...I mean how far out of position is THAT! Does the fact that BOD is playing at inside centre have anything to do with his shítty kicks? No. Wow, inside centre instead of outside..no wonder he made several errors, I mean it's like playing him in a gaelic football match! Guess what, that crap "effort" at a drop goal wasn't brought about by him playing out of position either.

He was ineffectual over-all, it's not a big deal, it's just disappointing...here's hoping he can bring the blistering talent we know he possesses to bear on the remaining games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by bugler
    Christ, I wish people would stop excusing O'Driscoll having a bad game by claiming "He's playing out of position". He's still at centre, I mean it's hardly tight-head is it? I can't help wonder why Ireland din't completely fall apart when D'Arcy had to go to full-back...I mean how far out of position is THAT! Does the fact that BOD is playing at inside centre have anything to do with his shítty kicks? No. Wow, inside centre instead of outside..no wonder he made several errors, I mean it's like playing him in a gaelic football match! Guess what, that crap "effort" at a drop goal wasn't brought about by him playing out of position either.

He was ineffectual over-all, it's not a big deal, it's just disappointing...here's hoping he can bring the blistering talent we know he possesses to bear on the remaining games.

Fair enough, elements of his game were crap regardless of his position but there is a slightly different type of needed for inside centre to outside. O' Driscoll plays better with more time on the ball. Look at Beckham, In tighter games(e.g. Bayern Munich) he would have played better out on the right, more space for him to work his magic. In tight middle position ya rather have Zidane on the ball. O' Driscoll is the same he needs room to do damage, ya dont get that much at inside centre.

Advertisement