Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

base camping?

Options
  • 06-03-2004 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

right i'm looking for a more strict definition of base camping. for example what is one to do when someone has all the flags sit there and wait for them to come.

is it ok to find yourself a nice ridge around the base and snipe people running for vehicles and what not.

just wondering whats allowed and whats not, i suppose this applies to cavan more as each server is different and stuff.

cheers

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Base camping is when u go to an untakeable base, and snipe people, or get a tank, stop near the spawn point + kill anyone who spawns @ the main base.

Most base's allow straffing planes, which I think means bombing with planes. Not too sure, tho.

If you just snipe people spawning at a takable base, me thinks thats OK. Also, keeping them pinned into a certain spot (killing them if they move too far from their base, or if they shoot at you), so they can't expand their region of tactical operations is usually seen as OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I think it is perfectly OK to go into another base on foot and find somewhere comfortable to snipe from. I dont aim to kill people as they spawn and sniping someone as they run isnt easy so I dont view it as basecamping.

Flying over another base and bombing the **** out of it or firing missiles is OK as well as you normally end up with a stinger in your ass.

It is not allowed in any means or form to drive into an oponents base in a tank and start shootin the place up. It is silly and a complete waste of time.

Sniping or flying and you have a good chance of getting killed yourself, but in a tank you can reek havoc without reply for a long time.

If I get sniped in my own base I respawn as a sniper and make it my goal in life to take the sucker out. Even more enjoyable doing it with a knife.

The Fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the reason i ask is that i think its ok to snipe someones main base as well, as well as the takeable ones which goes without saying i think, and yes i also think like to make taking out snipers my goal in life if i think there is one in a certain place tis fun that.

yeah sitting in a tank in some ones main base (and there was talk of someone sitting on a repair pad cheeky ****er) isn't on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

yeah sitting in a tank in some ones main base (and there was talk of someone sitting on a repair pad cheeky ****er) isn't on

can be fun to do that in CTF matchs though.....one good way to clear out there base for some one on your team to get the flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I say that no one should ever die within the boundaries of an untakeable base.

The second they leave, they are fair game. To some extent the super-weapons of DC make base camping far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by ssh
    I say that no one should ever die within the boundaries of an untakeable base.

What he said ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

....is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

my def. is sitting on an airfield with a tank and killing anything that spawns..or lying in opps base and grenade spamming...anything else is fair in my book and most players book..but if your on foot..ie you have vbailed out over enemy base ...you are to kill what ever you have to to survive..nick that tank...plane etc... and get the hell out..absolutely no staying in perm or untakable spawn positions..the only exception i can think of is berlin where its really necessary to peg the allies back in their base..ANYONE who complains on berlin that you are a camper is a total twat or a noob...I;m resident berlin expert lol

hmm yeah its ****ing annoying then when you can't get out of the base if you are well pinned down, however playing opposition i will go up the side way in berlin and try to get in behind them and stuff.

i see nothing wrong with going into some ones main base with soul intention of robbing there vehicles either. and then perhaps blowing up a large number of their vehicles on the way out the door

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    and there was talk of someone sitting on a repair pad cheeky ****er
    In DC Oil Fields, in one of the middle base's, on the RHS of the map, I sometimes capture the flag, and wait on the repair bay, in a tank. Dataisgod is the only one so far who can actually remove me from there :p

• Advertisement

aye i remember that only cause you in a an anti-infantry tank though and i was in a T-72. and thats ok as it was a takeable base. would be hard to kill you with infantry though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Cavan Combat has two rules:

No Teamkilling
    No Basecamping, except for strafing planes.

Tking is clear enough, and if you get a -3 score, there server should kick you, also, if you have many deaths and I see a minus score from outside the game, I'll use my itchy kicky trigger finger and sometimes, I'll even ask from outside the game about teamkillers, just to be sure.

When we say basecamping, we mean the main, 'untakable' bases, obviously not the conquest flag bases that convert over either way.

Basecamping is kinda variable too, we need to define it a little better on the server, I would like to have rules for various maps gametypes seperately, as clearly, open conquest maps (bloody basecampers!) are very different to infantry conquest maps and different again to CTF maps, (basecamping encouraged!) .

When you have all of the flags on a map, then by all means, wait a distance outside the main base and attempt to contain the nme, but driving/hanging around inside the nme base is just crappy.

The sniper thing bugs me in conquest, but not half as much as the tanks in the main base, I really hate that.

Strafing is cool, bombing runs and/or plane gunfire.

Heli's shouldn't basecamp.

I think that covers it, did I miss anything?

Originally posted by Lucutus

The sniper thing bugs me in conquest

does that mean its allowed though? just want to be sure, it would bug me as well if i was getting killed but fun to do the killing. i'm kinda starting to enjoy playing sniper especially in bocage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Some maps seem designed for sniping main bases, el al, for instance, has a bunker just east of the main opposition base for cover and has ammo. So I'd say the map designer had that in mind

Sniping the coalition on lost village tho, very very bold. :(

Whaddyahs reckon?

i dont like snipers tbh

But there in the game.....and not designed to be running around in close combat so i guess they have to overlook a base to get some kills

Some maps seem designed for sniping main bases, el al, for instance, has a bunker just east of the main opposition base for cover and has ammo. So I'd say the map designer had that in mind

Whaddyahs reckon?

hmm excellent idea must do that next time, tbh don't think it would make a huge difference, you kill one or two they respawn and snipe your ass then or they grab a heli and take a different spawn point. no more different then having a sniper near the factory

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

one more question
    do ye use your boards alais in DC or do ye change it to something completely different!?

i like to know who i am killing :)

<--Darkireland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142858

check out here for some of the users in game tags, i'm dataisgod in games also

I was in the coalition base this evening. Had myself a 50 cal and all and was happily settling down for a bit of sniping. Looked over onto top of factory and Data was on it sniping as well.

He got killed and the fecking server switched him to coalition so he came straight over and killed me. It had taken me about 5 mins to get into the base and steal the 50 cal and get my pos for sniping.

Another reason to switch auto balance off. I'd imagine data laughed his dangly bits off.

The Fairy.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TheHairyFairy

He got killed and the fecking server switched him to coalition so he came straight over and killed me.

Another reason to switch auto balance off. I'd imagine data laughed his dangly bits off.

The Fairy.

well it wasn't straight over, you did shoot me when i respawned :p, and i was about to leave the base in a humvee when i said screw it and ran up the ladder got ya with the pistol :) twas fun

Sniping in the Lost Village is sweet. I usually go across the planks, settle down, and start sniping the people on top of the factory, those on the ground, and the ones who I generally see.
    Also, sniping the snipers is great fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

He means walking across the map to the allied main spawn and sniping there.

i fudgeing hate snipers!

Originally posted by Moriarty
    He means walking across the map to the allied main spawn and sniping there.

thats still ok in my book, again as soon as they realise they have a sniper they will hunt you down like a dog, a dog i say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I used to think sniping base camping was a no no but to be honest after playing No fly zone ctf mode I changed my opinion.

Surely the team whos camp is being sniped would have the sense to team chat and discuss taking out said sniper?

its the blatently open tank raping in the base that i hate. specially on the repair pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Originally posted by Washout
    Surely the team whos camp is being sniped would have the sense to team chat and discuss taking out said sniper?

You'd think so. I spent a good couple of minutes trying to get my team to kill a sniper (Dataisgod). In the end I had to do it myself, with an RPG7 at long range. :D
    Do snipers realise that they appear on AA radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

What server do you play on Dataisgod ? Give me the ip and i might join yee when i get bf/dc up and running again.

aye was a good shot drax, saw it coming at me and boom, didn't know i appeared on AA radar presumably thats the big gun thingy you where in?

Bad charlie a few of us round here play on cavan combat server

193.120.123.135:14567 think thats the ip address and you can find it on the all seeing eye gets full in the evenings quite frequently these days

data

• Advertisement

El Al is a good map to find snipers on. But if you are good enough stay outside those radar waves.

I hate teams that call you a basecamper while sniping. All they have to do is spawn as a sniper and find the fecker and nail him. Someone knife killed me on Lost Village the other night. I was mortified, but deserved it.

The Fairy.

Advertisement