Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB on Linux

• 06-03-2004 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of installing linux on my machine, but, does the Netopia modem work on linux? I'm with Eircom. I tried looking at thier support pages, but they're down. :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I don't know if a modem works as a router does... but I have my router plugged into my hub... acts as a gateway and all my comps can use the net,, linux, xp, windows 98... no drivers or anything... too easy almost.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

i have eircom netopia, yes it runs on linux, it is after all just an ethernet connection to the netopia, which handles the protocols/auth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'm not using the Ethernet, i'm using the USB :x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

use the ethernet, the USB stuff would be tricker. Why use USB?

Yeah use Ethernet,, i tried USB for a while and it annoyed me... ethernet card costs like 15€ a hub (if you want one) costs under 50... easy peasy...x

• Advertisement

I would use Ethernet, but I lost the cable and never bothered buying a new one.

Hmm cable costs less than network card lol buy some you cheap scab ;P lol save yourself hassle

Hey now, I'm not a scab you evul person! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you really wanted, you could make a cable, its even cheaper than buying.

OR, go to your local school, and pretend you want to send your son/daughter there, and ask to see the computer room. On the sly, whip out one of the network cables and bobs your uncle, ethernet cable aquired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

What distro? You might be able to use CDCEther for the USB connection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by bennyx_o
    I would use Ethernet, but I lost the cable and never bothered buying a new one.

Ohmigod.......

Advertisement