Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

over rated and under rated irish players

• 07-03-2004 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

OVERRATED

Andy Reid-yet to prove himself against top opposition yet is being hailed as the next maradona

John O` shea-people think hes great cos hes young and he plays for Man U

Graham Kavanagh-does a solid job but at 28 he has little more to prove.

UNDERRATED

Liam miller-he has proven himself to be able to perform at the top level however A. Reid gets twice as much credit

Clinton morrisson-Judged to harshly his performance against brazil and his current form for birmingham seem to be overlooked.

Andy O` Brien-Solid consistent centre back, just as good if not better than cunningham.

what does everyone else think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Liam miller-he has proven himself to be able to perform at the top level however A. Reid gets twice as much credit

Ya but we have seen Andy play for ireland (and play pritty well) we havent seen liam do that yet (i dont think so anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Andy Reid plays consistently well for Notts Forest, and has played quite well for Ireland in the few games he has had. The only reason he hasn't, as you say, "proved" himself is because he hasnt had the chance. That doesnt make him over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

"Clinton morrisson-Judged to harshly his performance against brazil "

Should I remind you he got man of the match??

"Andy Reid-.............is being hailed as the next maradona"

No he's not! IF he was he wouldn't be playing for notts forest!

"John O` shea-people think hes great cos hes young and he plays for Man U"

How shallow do you think we are???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The reason O Shea looks overrated is because he had a fantastic season last year and this year he is nowhere near as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

I wouldn't call Miller under-rated. He's very highly rated by most people despite the fact that he hasn't played at international level and hasn't actually played that many games for Celtic.

People have being calling him the next Roy Keane. That can hardly be classed as under-rating him now, can it? :)

And Andy O'Brien is top drawer!! I also think Richard Dunne is under-rated. He has always played well for Ireland and is just unfortunate to be in a Kevin Keegan side. They're the deathbed of many a good or promising defender.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by AngelofFire

Playing for Celtic is not the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Didn't he play in the champions league and uefa cup?

I think he should get his game for ireland .
    He seems to be a good player and is still young. Brian should ive him a couple of chances to see how he preforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

[rant]

FFS its Nottingham forest or nottm forest or just plain old forest

it is not notts forest and it never has been!!!!!!!

[/rant]
    :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Here is my take on John O` shea.....this is a tip a old man in a pub once gave me and I think its very true.

Any young player who comes throught the ranks at Man You is 30% overrated.....I give you John O` shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Andy O Brien is a pile of piss, steaming piss. O Shea is having a poor season, he hopefully will get back on form. Playing in a crap defense at the moment @ Man U doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Overrated:

Matt Holland - He may be good for Charlton but doesn't put in the effort for his country.

Stephen Reid - I still see him in a few people's idea of ireland'd best team. He doesn't deserve a place on the bench ATM.

Colin Healy - Had one or two good games and nothing more.

Underrated:

Richard Dunne - He may be big but he's no sloppy slow coach.

David Connolly - While he is no partner for Keane, he would certainly be capable to step into Keane's shoes if he was unavailable. If Keane was injured Connolly would definitely be my no.1 choice up front.

Graham Kavanagh-does a solid job but at 28 he has little more to prove.

He's actually 30/31 but is playing super football. He was in the division 2 team of the year for 3 years in a row and although the division 2 is no la liga, it is still some achivement. His first month in division one and he got player of the month. He gets involved 5 times as much as Holland. He has a lot of experience. I think some people just see his grey hair and think he's past it.

If This topic was about Irish players being underrated in general, I would say most of them would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Is Alan Lee any good? Seen him mentioned a few times as a No: 8 sub in friendlies. Who is he? I know he plays for Cardiff. But is he any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Overrated:

Matt Holland - He may be good for Charlton but doesn't put in the effort for his country.

Oh God, I have been waiting for a long time to make this point.

I think Matt Holland only declared for Ireland because he realised he didn't stand a chance of getting in to the England side.

My case for this point:

First Division Play-Off Final 2000, Wembly Stadium, just before Kick Off, they're playing the National Anthem, "God Save The Queen", and lo-and-behold, there's "our Matty" singing his heart out. I could not believe it, I was sitting in the Grayhound pub in Blanchardstown Village, and my jaw was on the floor, me and another friend. It was disgusting.

Switch now to Japan/Korea 2002...or any game this imposter has played for Ireland. Pre Kick-Off and they're playing "Amhrán na bhFiann", and lo-and-behold, there's "our Matty" standing quietly.

The bastard couldn't even be arsed to learn the National Anthem of the country he claims to represent, even McCarthy did ffs.

This clown is a joke, and not up to the standards that are required to play for this country. And he is not a hero for scoring against Cameroon either. He makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by seansouth

First Division Play-Off Final 2000, Wembly Stadium, just before Kick Off, they're playing the National Anthem, "God Save The Queen", and lo-and-behold, there's "our Matty" singing his heart out. I could not believe it, I was sitting in the Grayhound pub in Blanchardstown Village, and my jaw was on the floor, me and another friend. It was disgusting.

Switch now to Japan/Korea 2002...or any game this imposter has played for Ireland. Pre Kick-Off and they're playing "Amhrán na bhFiann", and lo-and-behold, there's "our Matty" standing quietly.

Matt Holland is as English as they get, I agree. But just because he doesn't know the national anthem doesn't make him an imposter. How many Oirish people DO know the national anthem (other than the first two lines and the last line :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Originally posted by Ping Chow Chi
    [rant]

FFS its Nottingham forest or nottm forest or just plain old forest

it is not notts forest and it never has been!!!!!!!

[/rant]
    :mad:

I'm soooooooo sooooooooooo sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Andy Reid plays consistently well for Notts Forest
    and where are forrest in their league again? They are fcuked at the bottom of division 1. I would think if Michael Dawson and Reid were all people expect them to be they would be able to drag a few results out of forrest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Connelly & Holland are over-rated!
    Holland is a lazy sh*te.
    Connelly is just plain useless!

Morrison is a legend!

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    Connelly ...over-rated!
    By who? I never hear anybody praising him. He cannot play with Keane for obvious reasons but he would definitely fill in for him as he has shown so many times.

Dawson has been injured most the season - hes only just started playing for us again

Reid has been the one shining light for us this season, it really is hard to win matches on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Andy O'Brien is way underrated, he is a lot better in Center Defence than O'Shea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Good call on the Nottm Forest Ping Chow Chi, it amuses me how so many "experts" get that wrong.

Reid has had an exceptional season, and just about every Premiership manager has had a look at him this season, including Utd and Arsenal scouts. He has played in 3 different positions for forest and maintained his form throughout. For a while he was carrying the team, but one young guy can only do so much. He hasn't done wonders but you can only play against whats in front of you and he has never looked out of his depth, especially at international level. Remember Duff in his first international? Or even O'Shea for that matter!

Dawson has been injured all bloody season so you can't really blame him for not having form :rolleyes:, John Thompson on the other hand has lost form and is suffering from second season syndrome. He's a good player though and I expect him to come through it next season.

I have always rated O'Brien although he does seem to make alot of mistakes. He has quick feet and a bit of pace so he usually manages to get back and make amends. Miller hasn't done a whole lot but I reckon he's good enough and if he isn't he'll be found out quick enough at United. Healy I think is overrated. Not heard much of him, injured though he was and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

End of the day, Dawson has played over half your league games and to be honest while I knew he was injured a few times with mustle issues I did not think he had been out for as long as he has. As case of Man United syndrome maybe? I would think that the experience of 47 year old Des Walker would be able to hold things together :)

I wonder what people would think about Reid, compared to someone like Stephen Reid now at Blackburn and indeed Michael Brown, who spurs bought off Sheffield Utd - who has impressed me a bit when I have seen him,

(http://skysports.planetfootball.com/player.asp?plid=12679)

Since this has turned into a Forest thread I might aswell add that Kinnear is trying to get Aliadiere on loan. he looks a very good prospect. They still need a few more experienced players though.

Dawson played in most of the first 16 or so matches of the season - at which time we where still doing OK. Since then he has only played a handfull of games, and most of them we have not lost in.

He is a damm good defender - if you can not see that then that is your own problem to be perfectly honest. A lot better people than me or you have seen this, but then you may be more of a judge of a football player than the England coach or the ManU coach, but I doubt that. He had glandular fever, and it has seemed every time he has got back to almost fitness, he has had a relapse of somesort.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/nottm_forest/3493426.stm

Its only his second season of regular first team football (as is the case with Andy)

As for Reid, he is quality and thankfully a number of prem managers have seen this, I have no doubt that I will be watching him doing well in the Prem next year. It is always hard to say good bye to real talent that your club develops - but Forest are not in the position to offer Andy what he deserves :( Reid has had to play with a different set of midfielders almost every week - and to be fair none of Forest other midfield have looked like putting in decent performances each week.

My Forest team have seen the loss of Jenas, Putts and now Reid (for sure) from our midfield, it hurts that we will have to loss him, I could do without people doubting his ability. He is going to play for your national team for christ sakes, he may not be as good as Duff but there isnt many that are and he is still young. You should be happy that you have such talent coming through, without bloodly looking to pick flaws.

Afterall it me and forest that will lose him at the end of the season, he will (I am sure) be playing for Ireland for years to come.

Please treat him well.

Originally posted by seansouth
    First Division Play-Off Final 2000, Wembly Stadium, just before Kick Off, they're playing the National Anthem, "God Save The Queen", and lo-and-behold, there's "our Matty" singing his heart out.

That is a f*cking joke.
    I know it's silly but your Irish OR English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

You know what the real joke is? The number of people who get antsy about the national anthem, when they couldnt sing past the first verse to save their life.

I mean how intimidating must it be for teams coming to play at Landsdowne Road, knowing full well that they will be assaulted by 40k proud Irishmen humming their anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Richard Dunne, under-rated

IMO having a great season at man city and was unlucky not to play for ireland against brasil. his current form makes him well deserved of a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by qwertyup
    You know what the real joke is? The number of people who get antsy about the national anthem, when they couldnt sing past the first verse to save their life.

I mean how intimidating must it be for teams coming to play at Landsdowne Road, knowing full well that they will be assaulted by 40k proud Irishmen humming their anthem.

Nice generalisation there man, but I'm afraid you're wrong about me, I do know the words to my National Anthem, and furthermore, I know what they mean.

"You know what the real joke is? The number of people who get antsy about the national anthem, when they couldnt sing past the first verse to save their life."

I also know the words . Excuse me for being patriotic. I thought that is what supporting your country was all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by qwertyup

I know the words and sing loud and proud, (never in tune mind you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Ping Chow Chi
    Afterall it me and forest that will lose him at the end of the season, he will (I am sure) be playing for Ireland for years to come.

Please treat him well.

If its any consolation you're not the only Forest fan here. Myself and Dappergent have to cope aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If O'Shea played for any team other than the big three in England, he would not be in the starting line up, secondly Holland is useless, talk about Mr. Invisible, he goes missing for entire games. Atleast United are rapidly declining, Fergie obviously think he can bring in unproven second rate players and still win the league!

Advertisement