Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly PSU

Options
  • 07-03-2004 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever gotten a new PSU that smells when you turn it on?
    It's not a bad smell really, sort of what you'd expect a new piece of hardware to smell like... but this is really strong smelling.
    One of those odd indescribable yet distinctive smells, like the smell of new clothes, or the smell in a dentists waiting room.
    Now the question is, has anyone experienced this before and how long does it usualy take to break in a new PSU.
    I've got both windows open beside me :(
    And I'm a smoker, so you know this smell is strong!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Are you sure something isn't melting inside it?
    I mean, i didn't think PSU's had a smell.
    There must be something wrong somewhere for you to have to open windows to get rid of the smell.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

most psu's iv had have a smell for the first few hours but nowhere near as bad as what SantaHoe described
    something must be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well it's one of those fancy quiet PSUs, and the airflow from the back doesn't seem as forcefull as my last PSU... so I guess it's running at a much lower rpm, but nothing to suggest it being dangerously low... I haven't had any reboots or otherwise dodgy occurences either.
    I don't think it's a burning/melting smell though, not like if you take the fan off an athlon for 40 mins :)
    It's more of a paint'y/new car interior sort of smell.
    And I'm still in the first few hours of use.

It's a Sharkoon 300W PSU btw, very very quiet (19db)... I'd reccomend it to anyone who wants a quiet pc... although this smell makes it lose some brownie points in my book.

Ah the little things in life eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Could be the smell of acetone, I had a powersupply last week that when taken out of the box and out of its shiny wrappings proceeded to help me see pretty colours for 3 hours till the smell wore away.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

capacitors when they blow emit a teribble stink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by jabberwock
    capacitors when they blow emit a teribble stink.

that's right, but when they go you don't have any power. Also if they do go you'll know all about it because the room will be full of smoke that smells like hash. Not that i know what hash smells like or anything !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

not necessarily. certian capacitors can blow inside and the psu will still work.

I worked for 2 years fixing psu's and have seen this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    that's right, but when they go you don't have any power. Also if they do go you'll know all about it because the room will be full of smoke that smells like hash. Not that i know what hash smells like or anything !!!!

heh

/me puts in an order for 9 ounces of capacitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

yeah nothin beats a nice sticky bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Could be producing a lot of ozone either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement