Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many More To Die?

Options
  • 07-03-2004 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

DCC and the RPA have a lot to answer for in the mess made out of the construction of the Luas. This is one of the most dangerous areas. Before the Luas comes live can anyone see the most likely areas of danger to all road users and flag them on this site. I know of several where there have already been accidents usually to psycho cyclists who give decent cyclists a bad name, but hey!, now is the time to iron out the obvious danger spots rather than wait for the deaths to ensue,

Suggestions please!.

We can't trust the obvious " powers that be" when the likes of this happens. What action should now be taken?

I have no regard for fine gael or the FF..uckers either but I agree with Mithcell on this one. What do you think?

Bee

http://www.finegael.ie/fine-gael-news.cfm/year/2004/month/3/action/detail/newsid/23445/level/page/aid/10/[/URL]

Mitchell renews call for Health & Safety Authority to review LUAS line Inspection following two fatalities & further accident yesterday
    Third cyclist comes off bike at same site
    “One week ago two motorcyclists were killed in separate accidents within hundreds of yards of each other. Yesterday, a cyclist came off his bicycle on the same Naas Road/Davitt Road stretch of track and was treated at the scene.

“The cyclist informs me that the barrier on the line forced him to change direction and the track then caused him to lose control.

“I have already pressed the Health & Safety Authority to report on the safety of the LUAS site on this stretch of road and have followed this up with a Parliamentary Question, by raising it yesterday on the Dáil’s Order of Business and by letter to the Chief Executive of the Health & Safety Authority.

“I remain very concerned about safety at the NaasRoad/Davitt Road LUAS works and I am calling on the Health & Safety Authority to issue a public statement on the level of safety at this site.

“The Tánaiste, Mary Harney TD, has to date ignored the report of a review group which recommended the creation of an Office of Public Safety Regulation. This issue should now be revisited.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2688109?view=Eircomnet
    McDowell warns of Luas fatalities 'in the short term'
    Sunday, 7th March, 2004
    JODY CORCORAN

MINISTER for Justice Michael McDowell has written to his Cabinet colleague Seamus Brennan to warn that lives will be lost "in the very short term" when the Luas begins to run through part of his Dublin South East constituency this year.

In a letter circulated to local residents last year, Mr McDowell said he was "very concerned" that if inadequate or defective arrangements were put in place, "lives would be lost."

This, the Justice Minister warned, would not occur at some distant future date, but in the very short term.

The Cowper Road intersection in Ranelagh was, in the view of Mr McDowell, an "area of huge potential danger to children since they both play in the area and communicate across it to local schools".

In his findings in the 1999 public inquiry into the Luas route, Judge Sean O'Leary said considerable care would be needed when the light rail was travelling across the public open space at Cowper.

Safety practices would need to be adopted, he said.

The inquiry was satisfied that with proper planning and signage, the difficulties could be overcome.

Yesterday, however, the Progressive Democrats Rathmines local election candidate Tony Williams said that in spite of this recommendation, the Luas team still had made no special provision other than erecting some small and inadequate signs.

He said it had consistently rubbished any suggestion that 'line of sight' driving methods may need modification where the trains - which are effectively travelling on a dedicated line - meet a number of pedestrian crossings.

He said: "Do they want to wait for another Wellington Quay-type tragedy before taking action to prevent loss of life? Remember, hundreds of school children cross this green area each day on their way to and from local schools such as Gonzaga, Muckross, Alexandra College and Sandford Park."

Mr Williams said the Luas authorities seem more concerned with meeting their target to have Luas up and running in June, rather than taking time to ensure the safety of local residents.

Last night the Cowper Grove Residents Association confirmed the issue was top of its agenda at its general meeting at the Beechwood Community Centre on Monday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I don't see any connection with the accidents and the Luas... 2+2=5. The simple cause of these accidents is driver error... nothing to do with the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BrianD
    I don't see any connection with the accidents and the Luas... 2+2=5. The simple cause of these accidents is driver error... nothing to do with the Luas.
    Not quite. In places, e.g. outside Easons, they are constricting crowds excessively. In others the only place to drive is on the track (Harcourt Street), despite it actually being illegal to do so. All too often, portions of street are closed off for contractors staff to park, not for work purposes.

Some warning signage and thought in where they put barriers would go a long way.

Advertisement