Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston this summer?

• 07-03-2004 3:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Thinking of heading to Boston for the summer, J1...anyone been there?Recomend it?
    It's either Boston, NY or west coast.
    Cost of living there?How much would i need to get by for the whole summer?Roughly, i heard that the euro/dollar rate is decent....would €2500 keep me ticking over for 3 months?
    Also another very important thing..internet cafes, i was in NY last year for a few days couldn't find a net cafe anywhere, is the situation any better in Boston?
    Also working there, how easy is it to pick pub/labouring work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Loadsa internet cafes...Kinko! That is the name of them. And they are not too bad price wise.
    I was in Boston almost 10 years ago for the summer, I loved Boston, and went back for a holiday last November, still loved it.
    It is slower and cleaner than NY...pubs and people are nice. I worked in Faneuil Hall...tourist place with a big food hall.
    I got work through some one I knew out there so i am not too sure on how easy it is to get work, but it is defo a place I would recommend to go to.
    When I was out there in November, I only planned on staying there for 4 days, and then go to NY, but stayed there an extra 3 days, cos I wanted to see Stereophonics in a club called Avalon, which is like The Village, or Whelans, for about €10!! Sorry for going off the track...but Boston is a fab easy going city!!! GO THERE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

Yeah, Bostons a great place to visit, although it can be a bit expensive for going out etc. If you're looking for work then movers are a good bet, they're always looking for ppl as the work is fairly tough, hence high staff turnover. I worked for an israeli moving company over there, Carmel Movers I think they were called, toughest bloody work I ever did :( Once I put in a 22hr day...not nice. On the plus side, they pay $10-12 an hour, and you get tips. Another good idea if you're sporty is to join an sports club, theres a large Irish expat community and its often a good way to network and find a job. There are several GAA clubs and rugby clubs (Irish Wolfhound rugby club are a particularly sound bunch of lads). You might be able to find bar work, but dont count on it, especially if you're under 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

boston is a cool city

lived there last summer, the weather was great, really hot, and there was the odd thunderstorms which were also great, so much rain and over so quick

anyway,

i was staying in a 2 bed apt and the rent was 1600 a month, there where four of us so it was ok. the best part of the summer was at the start and at the end when all the students where there!

i worked for an israeli moving company called eagle vanlines, i got lucky though and landed a job in the office, booking moving jobs, i had the poor fortune of working two days, the worst two days of my summer, one was 16 hours and the other was 10 hours. i dont know how my mate did a whole 3 months of it.

2500 is plenty of money to bring over with you, drinks and food are bout the same price as here, well so it seemed to me at the time. the avalon is a cool venue but it is expensive to go out to a club. the transport system was excellent, well i thought it was, compared to dublin anyway but thats not hard

anyway ill shut up, great city, go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

It's either Boston, NY or west coast.
    boston tends to be on the more expensive side, but it's a great place. there's loads of universities around there, so you always have a large proportion of students there. and summer there is especially fun.
    as to the ny thing, i've lived here (erm...there) all my life. it's a fantastic place. and you never ever run out of things to do. whatever crazy notion of something you want to do gets into your mind - you can find here. and there are so many people here. but it is so beautiful. really. let's think, what else. oh, yes, internet cafes - they're hard to come by, but they definitely do exist- you just need to look in the right places. boston has quite a few more, i believe. as to the money issue, it completely depends on which parts of the cities you end up staying in. but the transportation in both cities is AMAZING compared to dublin. haha. and the west coast is amazing, too. san diego and la jolla are some of my favorites, but that's just me. god, there are so many brilliant places to go. have fun wherever you go! :)

Advertisement