Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pricing for Esat Business DSL?

• 07-03-2004 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I gave Esat a call on Wednesday, to enquire as to what Esat are going to do about the fact that their business customers are paying ~ double what eircoms customers are paying for a similar package.

I was told that they will be changing their pricing very soon, and that they would email me details immediately. I've received nothing since. Does anyone else have any details yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

I was on to them as well, heard nothing back either.
    Sure why would they rush. They get the nice double rates while dragging heels over new pricing.
    Maybe they'll back date once they've made up their minds on the prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

I was just on to Esat again, and they've informed me that:-

1) They will be making an announcement on pricing changes in April

2) Their prices will beat eircoms.

Sounds interesting. If they beat eircom significantly, I may move up to the 2Mb/s offering (based on my being allowed to by my significant other!) ;)

Anyway, if I come across any more information on this topic, I'll post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sounds like geat stuff :)
    Whats Eircoms equivalent pricing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Are Esats business offerings capped?.

Don't know. I can't find any details of an eircom 512Kb/s uncapped package. I could be looking in the wrong places though.

Offler: No, Esat's business packages are uncapped.

• Advertisement

uncapped and fastpathed, o the joy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Whats Eircoms equivalent pricing now?
    AFAIK, it's €89 for 1Mb and €169 for 2Mb, both ex vat.
    I can't find any details of an eircom 512Kb/s uncapped package
    There is none. They don't do 512K ADSL anymore, and when they did it was capped.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I won't be surprised if Esat start reselling Eircom's Business ADSL products (including high interleaving :( throughout Ireland soon.

This is because of a changein the way Eircom wholesale charge for their products and backhaul.

Previously if you wanted to resell Eircom ADSL (not RADSL), you had to connect your own backhaul to each of the 11 geographical pop's (big expense) or use Eircoms backhaul (equally big expensive).

However now Eircoms new ADSL pricing is actually based on new Eircom Wholesale ADSL IP products, which allows an ISP to take all the traffic for the whole country off just one of the geographical pop's, thus greatly reducing costs for the ISP.

I expect Esat while start reselling this.

So any news on this anyone? :)

(i know its only start of April and nothing will probably anounced for a while but thought i'd ask)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by MrPinK
    AFAIK, it's €89 for 1Mb and €169 for 2Mb, both ex vat.
    There is none. They don't do 512K ADSL anymore, and when they did it was capped.

(edit)
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/products/access/dsl/pricing.html
    Full esat/BT DSL Pricing

There is no caps on ANY of Esats Business DSL packages and they never have been that I can remember.

:)

• Advertisement

How about you actually READ the post you replied to. That comment was referring to Eircom.

Also, I myself am on Esat BT's 512Kb/s business DSL product, and am wondering when they're going to get up off their intransigent arses and become competitive again. Of course, even if they stay at their current pricing levels I'll stick with them, they're the best available in terms of features and reliability at the moment.

Just been on to their business sales, and I've been informed that sales still don't know when prices will be revised. Apparently, they themselves were also expecting new pricing to have been announced by now. Oh well, looks like we're in for the long haul.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by ruairi
    Also, I myself am on Esat BT's 512Kb/s business DSL product, and am wondering when they're going to get up off their intransigent arses and become competitive again. Of course, even if they stay at their current pricing levels I'll stick with them, they're the best available in terms of features and reliability at the moment.

Agreed it is the best package, I've been looking at digiweb but I ain't going extra near there uncapped services till I hear about some users on there service
    Will properly stay with Esat Business 512k due to my current experience with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One thing people should remember, if Esat do release new products based on Eircom Wholesale Business ADSL, then it will suffer from the same porblems as Eircoms ADSL, namely high interleaving setting which will lead to relatively high latency (pings).

hmm. Didn't think about that. What sort of difference do you mean? If it's not too much it won't bother me, I'm not a gamer.

Currently get 17ms ping time to ftp.heanet.ie, can you say what sort of increase you'd expect based on your own experiences?

What sort of difference do you mean? If it's not too much it won't bother me, I'm not a gamer.

Well presently Esat Business people get about a ping of 20ms ish to Jolt and this will probably be closer to 60 or 70 if they go the way of Eircom with full whack interleaving (educated guess). That said there is no evidence one way or another that they will go down this road. Also no guarantee that they would change their existing customers to the higher interleaving Eircomesque ADSL either.

I too don't think i'd switch if the price remained static as tbh im absolutely delighted with it (seeing especially how often the RADSL connections seem to have problems).
    I would switch however if i suddenly got the full interleaving.

That said a price drop would be nice on the old bank balance tho i think i'd prefer to be bumped up to 1mb or something.

Having given this a bit of thought, I doubt I'll end up getting this high-interleaving crap no matter what Esat do.

I'm connected to Cork Central exchange (GPO), and I'm very sure Esat would be providing their own backhaul from there. I have no evidence or proof of this of course but apparently they do have quite a bit of fibre around Cork so it would be trivial for them surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I have no evidence or proof of this of course but apparently they do have quite a bit of fibre around Cork so it would be trivial for them surely.
    The question isn't whether or not it's trivial, it's whether it'd be cost-effective for them. If they can make more money by reselling eircoms service than they can by doing it themselves then they'll resell eircoms service.

And if they could make more money doing it themselves, then they'd already be doing it themselves.

(Disclaimer - this is ESAT we're talking about - judging by some of the stuff posted in these boards, they couldn't find their arese with both hands at least some of the time).

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The question isn't whether or not it's trivial, it's whether it'd be cost-effective for them. If they can make more money by reselling eircoms service than they can by doing it themselves then they'll resell eircoms service.

Agreed.

And if they could make more money doing it themselves, then they'd already be doing it themselves.

Also agreed. I don't know that they aren't already doing it themselves in Cork Central though... do you have information on this?

(Disclaimer - this is ESAT we're talking about - judging by some of the stuff posted in these boards, they couldn't find their arese with both hands at least some of the time).

Seems to be exclusively IOL BB though. The only problems I've had are with their billing department who seem to be lazy and predominantly thick. My account manager on the other hand is a pretty smart guy, and when I called to ask for a /29 IP allocation, it took a total of one hour. So, I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I don't know that they aren't already doing it themselves in Cork Central though... do you have information on this?
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/products/access/dsl/
    Churchfield, Cork Central and Quaker Road.

While IOL seem to be run by the thicker of the exmployees the Business side is very well run. Im very pleased with the service, tech support( tho one time i had a query), billing , account manager is very helpful and usually informative and really tries to help you.

Strange how IOL seem to be so bad while the business side is so well run (touches wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

So, anyone got any news on the new Esat business pricing yet ?

Btw - does this service come in on the existing eircom lines or is it only enabled in certian areas ? Finding it hard to get some info on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by mag
    Btw - does this service come in on the existing eircom lines or is it only enabled in certian areas ? Finding it hard to get some info on it.
    Here's a map showing Esat business DSL availability.

Originally posted by Jilm
    Here's a map showing Esat business DSL availability.

Thats the end of that then.
    WTF is it with Blanchardstown ? 100,000 people , loads of industry & business parks and neither NTL or Esat are coming near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is that for real?; does ESATBT not serve Blanch?, that seems odd:confused:; DAMN I wanted to move to the business package so I could get rid of the crappy cap.

Yep, just the city centre it seems

Give em a ring, dunno if thats up to date.

If bk is right they will be using eircom adsl enabled exchanges soon which will mean you can get it at a much wider range of exchanges (albeit with high interleaving).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I've been using the Esat Business 512k service since last October and it's been great - there has been about 2 hours down-time in 6 months.

The service is uncapped, it doesn't run on Eircom's kit so the pings are very low and you can become unbundled (as I have done) to save yourself the cost of line rental (assuming you don't need to use the phoneline for calls).

Oh, and the upload rate is 256kb and they don't muck about with blocking ports / proxies / services etc either.

The only issue is the cost really, so I'm looking forward to the price review that's been mentioned.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    I've been using the Esat Business 512k service since last October and it's been great - there has been about 2 hours down-time in 6 months.

The service is uncapped, it doesn't run on Eircom's kit so the pings are very low and you can become unbundled (as I have done) to save yourself the cost of line rental (assuming you don't need to use the phoneline for calls).

Oh, and the upload rate is 256kb and they don't muck about with blocking ports / proxies / services etc either.

The only issue is the cost really, so I'm looking forward to the price review that's been mentioned.

Teeth.
    A friend of mine has that package and would agree 100% with you. Never had a problem right from the start.

The only drawback was the cost, as you say... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There are a few Esat DSL exchanges (http://www.esatbt.com/ie/products/access/dsl/availability.html)

I also use the Esat system and find it brilliant. Very little technical issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by bk
    One thing people should remember, if Esat do release new products based on Eircom Wholesale Business ADSL, then it will suffer from the same porblems as Eircoms ADSL, namely high interleaving setting which will lead to relatively high latency (pings).

Please god no! I'm getting the best pings on Dublin based (game) servers atm. I'm willing to pay extra for that.

Advertisement