Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Service in D15

• 07-03-2004 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Guys,

anybody around the Clonsilla area got connected to Irish Broadband mast at Ballycoolin.

I made contact with them during the week and they said that the coverage was a bit sketchy in Clonsilla.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

an on-site check is the only way of checking whether you have a signal or not, no-one can tell until taht is done.

You could be 500m from the transmitter, but if a huge building/tree is in the way, you can kiss that connection goodbye.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

does anyone know of any D15 IBB customers? Everyone I know who's applied has failed the LOS test. They picked a poxy place to put their transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by LFCFan
    does anyone know of any D15 IBB customers? Everyone I know who's applied has failed the LOS test. They picked a poxy place to put their transmitter.

Agreed.

I suggested to them that they put it on the huge mast on the Clonsilla Road beside the Spar/Molloys....

The catchment area there would be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Originally posted by LFCFan

im on it in huntstown, although the service has been crap. ibb are only really interested in business customers in d15, hence ballycoolin as their choice of spot for a transmitter. obviously business bb is the high-margin end of things so that'd make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by mag
    im on it in huntstown, although the service has been crap. ibb are only really interested in business customers in d15, hence ballycoolin as their choice of spot for a transmitter. obviously business bb is the high-margin end of things so that'd make sense.

mag can you define crap please .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Originally posted by Couch Potato

I suggested to them that they put it on the huge mast on the Clonsilla Road beside the Spar/Molloys....

The catchment area there would be huge.

I agree with you also. That mast would seem like an obvious choice alright. Definitely would unlock a lot of demand for BB in our area! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I applied for the IBB service more than a month ago and I was told that they were upgrading the Ballycoolin mast and that it would take about four weeks or so. I later got an e-mail from then apologising for the delay and saying it would take another number of weeks.

I was on to IBB yesterday and the lady I was speaking to said that she could see no reason for the delay and promised to check the status of my application and to phone me back on my moby that afternoon.

When she didn't call I phoned today and spoke to some guy who said that they would be using a CIE mast at Clonsilla radio station as a new "high site" and that seeing as they have planning permission it should take another four weeks or so. He added that they are planning to erect a mast on top of the Atrium building near Blanchardstown Centre as well as the Ballycoolin site has not worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭macronot

They should have put a mast on that cylindrical building in the retail park of the shopping centre. That would cover a huge area. Especially me down in the valley of mulhuddart. That's about the only thing i can see from my place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by joolsveer
    When she didn't call I phoned today and spoke to some guy who said that they would be using a CIE mast at Clonsilla radio station as a new "high site" and that seeing as they have planning permission it should take another four weeks or so. He added that they are planning to erect a mast on top of the Atrium building near Blanchardstown Centre as well as the Ballycoolin site has not worked out well.

What is it with IBB and 4 weeks. They love just saying 4 weeks to everyone. I bet if you asked them how many weeks there were in a year they'd say 4. Also, I can't believe they used Ballycoolin for a high point. Loads of people knew it wouldn't work as there are too many high building etc in the signal path. Surely they are more astute than that. I really hope they do get the high point in Clonsilla though. I'm sooooooooooooooooo sick of dial up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by joolsveer
    He added that they are planning to erect a mast on top of the Atrium building near Blanchardstown Centre as well as the Ballycoolin site has not worked out well.

What/where is that? Atrium building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

It's between the Quinn insurance building and the Garda station in Blanch. I think it is empty at the moment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Hah, I can see that place from my house, seems like a shame to be getting ADSL..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I am between Clonsilla and Clonee and IBB said that it would be extremely doubtful for the Ballycoolin transmitter.

However, I have Netsource DSL now and it is very good.

LD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

between Clonsilla and Clonee

there are IBB customers in littlepace, manorfields, castaheaney & a couple in hunters run (cough)

yay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm in Allendale and they reckoned that it was a bit of a push.

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Guys.. thank your lucky stars if you cant get Irishbroadband..

I had the 1Mbit breeze service

My apartment is approx 300 meters from the transmitter on the siac building.

when it was working well.. and that was very few and far between, it was really good ping times of 19ms to www.jolt.co.uk

Mostly though the ping times at times were 1500ms yes thats 1.5 secsonds to www.boards.ie totally f**king useless.

I complained and complained and complained.. yeah weve reset the radio, ring back tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Your connected to the wrong sector, weve changed that ring back tomorrow. bla bla bla.... this crap went on for months.

I canncelled the direct debit.

Total ****e, I would rather stay with dialup that pay the 80bucks/month for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

I emailed them a few days back
    supposed the non-los 3.5Ghz stuff is supposed to be available august-sept - should be on the blanch shopping centre I was told

plus another 2.4ghz los mast should go up somewhere in clonsilla I think - early july I think it was

so I'm waiting for the 3.5ghz - anyone know if it will be the same kind of unit like the ripwave - ie. no holes, no antenna just a desk unit with usb/ethernet connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Yup, as far as i know they will be using 3.5ghz ripwave gear, but don't hold me to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by dieselfreak
    Guys.. thank your lucky stars if you cant get Irishbroadband..

I had the 1Mbit breeze service

My apartment is approx 300 meters from the transmitter on the siac building.

Luckily enough, not everyone lives in your apartment. See post topic.

ping www.jolt.co.uk -t

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 60, Received = 60, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 21ms

ping www.boards.ie -t

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 5ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Hi all

I live in D15 myself over by the Blanchardstown centre and I have Iol plus Broadband. I know of another 2 guys who have it as well and theres been no problems.

It depends on the capacity of your Housing Estates phone network whether or not u can get BB, also there has to be free BB slots in the local telephone exchange to take your DSL.

I know of one guy who cant get BB even though he is in the Catchment area.The reason is because his lines are too poor quality to take the frequency for BB.

The actual Telephone exchange for the Blanchardstown/Clonsilla/Mountview area etc is located in the Blanchardstown Centre in the large Eircom Building Complex so nobody should have any problems getting BB.

If you cant for whatever reason check out this government webpage which tells you all the available BB services in your area as well as the companies affering BB.

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/home.aspx

Hope this helps :)

Her Krupp Of Essen

• Advertisement
Advertisement