Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Online PC Games?

Options
  • 07-03-2004 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

hey, with the arrival of broadband and a wireless LAN (BB in my room) this week, i was wondering what games i should pick up to make the most of 512kbps. I already have Call of Duty which was good even n 56k.Have Tom Clancys Raven Shield and Soldier of Fortune also,havent tried them on MP though.Are there any other worth-it games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wait 9 days till Battlefeild vitnam that should be great if it lives up to BF 1942 standers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

BF1942

CS is thats yore thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

BF1942 + MODs, Half life + MODs, Unreal Tournament (and yes, MODs :E), the C&C series can be fun on-line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

BF1942 + the mods

UT2004 (she's out soon)

Vietcong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

BF is shite TBH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

If it was 4 months ago i would have said Return To Castle Wolfenstein for sure, but I've been dragged to the dark side, get Unreal 2 XMP, it rocks.

PS. RTCW is still worth getting, Enemy Territory even more so since it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

download ut2004 demo its a multiplayer demo and is already popular online
    if you like it the full game is out in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Enemy Territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i had a demo of Unreal 2003, an although it wasnt usually what i would go for, i have to sa, it was class. So i might get 2004
    BF sounds good also, played a demo of that and it was good fun.so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by PcP
    Enemy Territory.
    I second that, excellent game. Its free too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

your all kidding yourselves, cs is still the king

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

wait a couple of weeks and get Soldner. looks brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

UT2004 is my game of choice at the moment.
    Just waiting for the full game in a week or so.

CS is good, i end up going back to it every 6 months or so for a while.
    I'd say the reason it's still so popular is a mix between the playability of the game and the fact that you don't need a beast of a machine to be able to enjoy it.
    Hopefully when HL2 comes out they'll update it.

BF1942/Desert combat seem pretty good, you'd need a joystick to fully appreciate the jets and choppers. I can't get the hang on them with keyboard/mouse.

Enemy territory was fun for a while. But didn't keep me coming back for more.

Unreal 2 XMP had a lot of potential, but i believe they've stopped development on it.
    One thing they should consider, would be porting it to UT2004.
    Could be really good.
    The class based system is good.
    If UT2004 wasn't coming out, i'd probably be playing a lot more of it.

Halo, had a certain appeal but the movement in game is just so laboured. Could have been much better.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

BF1942 and some of the mods and CS tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If you like walking around large maps wondering where everyone is or watching idiots who have devoted their lives to flying planes expertly just so they can pee you off then I highly recommend BF1942.
    If on the other hand you want intense team orientated WWII action then play Enemy Territory. Like RTCW before it the game is a joy to play and great fun. The maps are not huge so you are always near the action.
    All of the different classes you can play have interesting angles and the objectives are excellent. I still laugh out loud while playing this game as well as cursing too. A free standalone download that everyone should give a try. You'll also likely have it on a CD somewhere if you buy PC mags.

Oh and if you always dreamt of being a soldier and are a gun-spotter then try CS. The best game for immature idiots out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Take a look at planetside and starwars: Galaxies too. They're fee-paying (since they're MMO* games - and you DO see a return for that fee)

BF1942 is nothing compared to a full-scale pitched battle in planetside. 64 players? Pffft - try a couple of hundred. Tanks, light armour, artillery, Air cover, Bombers, AA, light/heavy infantry, etc.

* Massive Multi-Player Online

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Soldner has 128 players, on 30km maps. it's got planes, choppers, tanks etc...also, there is no monthly charge.

also all the building are destructable.

TAKE THAT CAMPING SCUM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Without a doubt the game I'm spending most time on these days is ET

Used to do a lot of CS and Tribes, but never liked the one on one deathmatch style games. I've always preferred the team oriented games.. tis just more satisfying in my opinion.

c0y0te

Advertisement