Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busted Network Connection. Help...

Options
  • 07-03-2004 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D 7830 with a "National Semiconductor DP83815" Network card in it. Up until today I have been able to log onto the college network hassle free. I have the correct IP address, DNS proxy settings etc. I can also connect it to my home network (whenever I get home) without problem.
    Today however when I plugged in the network cable to the back of my laptop, nothing. I can't get on the web, can't ping anyone or be pinged nothing. Í haven't changed any of my network setting in ages so I don't know what the problem is.
    Here's what I'v checked already:
    All my network settings are fine
    The network cable is fine
    I can't ping or be pinged
    In device manager, it says my card is fine
    I updated my card with the latest drivers
    Didn't work so I completely uninstalled my drivers and rebooted hoping that Windows would automatically detect the card and install the drivers. Didn't work either.

Note, when I plug the network cable in, the little network symbol appears in the bottom right hand corner and when I unplug it, it alerts that the network connection is lost.
    Also, not sure if this could be something to do with it, in my network connections I have both a LAN and 1394 Connection. I only have the LAN connection enabled at the moment but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

Any out there have any ideas what the problem might be? Could it be a hardware problem? If so, how can I check it (other than device manger, coz it says it'is working correctly)

Thanks,
    Bacchus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If it's XP you're running on the lappie, and you've recently updated (hotfix etc) it may have re-enabled the firewall settings on the lan connection.

Other than that, when you've connected up, go to START>> Settings >> network connections >> Local area network.

If it doesnt say that it is up and running, try clicking "enable" (if it gives you the option).

Make sure you're logging onto the right domain and not just to the computer itself.

For info on your 1394 connection have a look here (googled, there's quite a bit ou tthere on 1394 and it's uses / abuses etc).

ps. when you go into the properties of the connection is it set to use the onboard nic? is the nic showing up in device manager?
    Some laptops have a power profile option, check that network devices arent disabled when running on battery or mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

LoLth, thanks for the reply.
    Where can I check the firewall settings on my laptop.
    When I go START>> Settings >> network connections >> Local area network, it shows that I am connected. It even show a small amount of activity ~ about 3,000 bytes sent, 2,700 received.
    Yeah, I'm logging into the right domain and I don't think it's got to do with my power settings - I have it plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

did you contact the college netadmin?

Maybe it's not a problem at your end?

If you are recieving and sending data (even if it's only a few bits here and there) then it's not a driver/hardware/OS problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey,
    I'd like to thank ye for the help.
    About 2 minutes ago, I got the brainwave of disabling Norton Sercurity. I can connect to the network again. Suffice to say I went into a fit of rage when I discovered that Norton was the problem. I must have set something in Norton by accident to block all network communications. Going to have to sort that out now.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Bacchus

Advertisement