Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Firewall for UTV Broadband needed...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by DMT
    You did computer engineering in DIT didn't you...?

No.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Giles
    Anyway either way it's bye bye "No Limits" in a week or two when I'm hooked up for the first time! :)
    My setup took 6 days including the arrival of the modem (which arrived today). I was expecting some kind of backlog with the new lower prices so either the word hasn't been received by a lot of people yet or UTV have their act together on the setup bit.

(yes, yes, I'm aware of the post-setup hassle that people have been having before someone takes that line as an invitation to treat)

Or else Dermot Ahern, Soula Evans and various cronies are right and there really is no demand for that interwebulator thing in Ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by sceptre
    My setup took 6 days including the arrival of the modem (which arrived today).
    Did they contact you before hand to inform you they were delivering the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by Giles
    I've just subscribed online to UTVs new €29.99 BB package. I don't think they supply firewall software as part of the deal though and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need this as I'll be donnected directly to the Internet.

Could any of you guys here recommend some good software that I could either purchase or download for free(preferably the latter!)

I hope I've made the right choice with UTV as I see that IOL are offering Norton 2004 free with their BB offering. Anyway either way it's bye bye "No Limits" in a week or two when I'm hooked up for the first time! :)

Thanks in advance...

I use Zone Alarm (free download) and find it fairly good. It asks you the first time a program wants to access the internet and you can allow or block it. It gives you information on what the program is and advises you if you should grant or deny permission.

I think the Norton 2004 with IOL is only a trial version for a period of time. After that you have to continue using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DMT
    Did they contact you before hand to inform you they were delivering the modem?
    Got an email the day before. Very pleased with the experience so far to be honest. The online bandwidth monitor provided by UTV doesn't seem to be working though (at least not for me so far) so I'll have to rely on DU Meter.
    Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    I think the Norton 2004 with IOL is only a trial version for a period of time.
    90 days. Close to useless so it wasn't even a consideration for me. Plenty of freebies out there that do a better job without the resource hogging that Norton 04 indulges in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement