Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate point - TG4

Options
  • 08-03-2004 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Right, here's some light and apologies my Irish is not good enough to do a full scale debate

Remember when TG4 started off on that October night way back when. Loads of articles in the paper saying it was a waste of money etc. Well, I think there's a hell of a lot of good stuff on there and we hear nothing now from the commentators on what a good job it's doing.

I like the weekly roundup of the Nuacht and Imigh Le Sruth is always good. And of course the wathergirls!

So, what's YOUR fave programme on TG4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes indeed TG4 generally puts RTE and TV3 to shame.

And while TV3 and others might give out about the amount of American TV on the station their aquisitions of The OC, Three Hill One, Oz, Everwood, Nip/Tuck etc shows some of the best American TV this Year. And why not when all the other stations do it. I don't see TV3 doing Pop 3 or anything.

Not only that but TG4 continue to make great TV on a pittens.

It is time that RTE and TV3 take a leaf out of TG4's book.
    Loads of articles in the paper saying it was a waste of money etc

I think Mr. Myers (your man who hosted Chanellaging Times) has said he was wrong since. And rearly have I heard a bad word said againist TG4 by any of TV Critics.

Fav prog Gealige = Imigh Le Sruth (I mean there is so much of Hector you can take, And i think that this is a good replacement)

Fav prog American = Without A Trace (Season 2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tá Imigh le Sruth go hiontach!

Bíonn Fíor Scéal suimiúil leis uaireannta agus is é Ros na Run an sobalchlár (soap) is fearr agus is seoige (funniest) ar an dteilifís cé nach bhféachaim air i gconaí.

Cé go bhfuil NTL agam sa bhaile, caithim cuid mhaith (a fair amount) don am a chaithim ag féachaint ar an dteilifís ag féachaint ar TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tá TG4 ar fheabhas ar fad. Tá cláracha suimúil acu atá déanta sa bhaile, comh maith le cláracha eatracha cosúil le NipTuck, OZ agus in iomad scannán freisin. B'é TG4 an t-aon cúis don ceadúnas teilifíse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Murv

ah no, caifear admháil, is é ros na rún an clár is fearr ar an teilifís na laethanta seo. Níos fearr ná aon sobblesrath (?) ar aon nós!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

One criticsm I have of TG4 is their habit of acquiring programmes such as the muppet show and spending money dubbing the dialog with irish actors.
    Would it not be more cost effective to put irish subtitles and leave the original dialog intact. I for one would definitely watch it if this were the case. My knowledge of irish is minimal but would improve if I had this option. Alternatively there could be english subtitles.
    In my opinion the dubbing destroys much of the appeal of the show.

Theres a big nostalgia market for kids tv which RTE and TV3 ignore. The original muppet show with its dialog intact would have a big appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Originally posted by thejuggler
    One criticsm I have of TG4 is their habit of acquiring programmes such as the
    Theres a big nostalgia market for kids tv which RTE and TV3 ignore .

But these programs are made for Irish speaking households where the children grow up speaking Irish. God knows there's enough Béarla on our screens, let there be one place at least for Irish speaking families.

I agree with you about the market for nostalgia, I wish they'd show Wanderly Wagon again. Some of you prolly don't remember that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

i have noticed how there dont seem to be many irish childrens shows. shouldnt they make some? that would be better, because then it woud be actually MADE for irish children and perhaps suit them better, because there are always those subtle cultural differences that can sometimes turn children away from a show.

Also, dubbing the muppet show? the MUPPET show???:eek: thats just SINFUL! there are some things the just dont "do" dubbed.:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I remember wanderly wagon (just about) Apparently in those cost cutting days of the 70's each show was wiped shortly after transmission (Well done RTE!). One or two episodes do remain and were shown a few years ago at christmas!

TG4 and its radio equivalent Rna G are minority services which wouldn't exist were it not for the license fee.

For someone hoping for a career in tv TG4 seems like a good place to serve your apprenticeship. Many of the news staff in TV3 have spent time there.
    Its equivalent to working in community or hospital radio - good experience but the public don't watch or listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For someone hoping for a career in tv TG4 seems like a good place to serve your apprenticeship. Many of the news staff in TV3 have spent time there.

Why would you train people when you have TG4:rolleyes:

Wonder what they do when they leave TG4 :confused:

In my opinion the dubbing destroys much of the appeal of the show.

You know they change the jokes to suit an Irish Audience. lol Jokes about FG and FF lol. Anyway the general show most of the shows they dub into Irish in English now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Ya TG4 is way under appreciated, i wish they showed all the celtic games, the commentary is by far and away better and you dont have to listen to jim beglin

• Advertisement
Advertisement