Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roches ST. exchange ..anyone on it here ?

• 08-03-2004 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one to see who is on roches street exchange here in limerick and to get an idea of how you find the broadband experience on it .

If you could , you might say which service you have and what kinda pings and d/l speeds you get .

thanks in advance

John.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by jonski
    Just a quick one to see who is on roches street exchange here in limerick and to get an idea of how you find the broadband experience on it .

If you could , you might say which service you have and what kinda pings and d/l speeds you get .

thanks in advance

John.

I'm on the Roaches St. exchange, IOLBB with their 24:1 contention + 512/128 service. No idea about pings as i don't play online games...as with everything, it all depends on the distance to the exchange + line/copper quality and other factors.

It has mostly been fine, save for a few bumps in the road...but overall i am happy with the service.

Downloads speeds are between 52-54K downstream, it all depends on what server you're downloading from, i use Microsoft servers as a guide and that's the speeds i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

To check your download speed, you might be better off using an Irish site with plenty of bandwidth. I'd recommend ftp.heanet.ie myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm on that exchange (actually there's a pretty good chance that I'm one of the closest customers to that exchange). Only got UTV's 48:1 512/128 package today

Pings aren't good at all (average of 100ms to boards.ie, minimum of 80ms, though I do have emule running at the same time) which doesn't bother me as I don't do the gaming thing. Download speed with a 15meg test file from a UL server was about 46KB/s, again with emule still running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by sceptre
    I'm on that exchange (actually there's a pretty good chance that I'm one of the closest customers to that exchange). Only got UTV's 48:1 512/128 package today

Pings aren't good at all (average of 100ms to boards.ie, minimum of 80ms, though I do have emule running at the same time) which doesn't bother me as I don't do the gaming thing. Download speed with a 15meg test file from a UL server was about 46KB/s, again with emule still running.

LOL...i had a rented appartment 3 doors down from the exchange, i am much farther out from the exchange now, 4Km....but my speeds are exactly the same.

So distance does not seem to be a factor for RADSL, perhaps me getting a 1MB connection might be an issue.

UTVIP are known to have ping issues with Broadband, IOLBB are supposed to be better, from what i've read. Speeds rock solid @ 54K downstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for the info guys ,

I'm with UTV 48:1 512/128 , and the pings are a major problem for me . pkt loss aswell .

• Advertisement
Advertisement