Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 3

Options
  • 08-03-2004 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Is pants. I really hate turn based strategy. I wish I knew this before I got it.

What do you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

i agree. what is the whole point of it?

luckily i got it for nothing so I don't mind fcuking it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm i like civ 3, i didn't pay for it though either and i had no manual which made it a bit of bitch to figure out but its good i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Michelangelo
    Is pants. I really hate turn based strategy. I wish I knew this before I got it.

What do you think of it?

you didnt know civ games where turn based strategy..................what rock have you been liveing under for the last 10 years ?

I love civ but if your more into mindless fps you wont like the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Originally posted by bizmark
    you didnt know civ games where turn based strategy..................what rock have you been liveing under for the last 10 years ?

I love civ but if your more into mindless fps you wont like the game

Sorry I have not been playing games the last ten years, let alone 3 years.

I like Age of Empires 2 and was hoping this would be the same but it is not. I move, you move. And the worst is it only allows me to move one box at a time. It seriously sucks. I hate it.

PS: I got it for free too and the update without manual.

its one of the best games ever made ........

but i guess its not some peoples cup of tea

Why not try command and conqure or something like that ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    its one of the best games ever made ........

but i guess its not some peoples cup of tea

Why not try command and conqure or something like that ?

I LOVED C&C generals. I actually finished that game(not something I do as I get bored of most games easily).

Is the update to it worth getting do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And the worst is it only allows me to move one box at a time.
    You need to build yourself some roads. Or get some chariots. Or stop building your cities in mountain ranges (don't your settlers get movement of more than one square?)

It's all in the manual. And if you got a dodgy copy they really should have included a pdf of the manual.

ment to be great dont have it though

Your into RTS but not TBS ? .......give civ 3 more time it can be confuseing when you first start out but if you give it a few days you will learn enough to make it worth while

Then before long you will have a massive country will 100+ citys and a massive army so you can push around the weaker countrys.......Pure joy :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Started playing Civ3 again recently, it's a fantastic game. hmm, who will i conquer next, the French or the Germans? decisions decisions!

... and the difference in time taken to transport units to the front having just built railroads everywhere is immense. Steam Power is THE most important tech advance in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Civ 3 has sucked days and even weeks away from my life. It's like crack-cocaine to me, I had to uninstall it and hide the cd just so I wouldn't starve to death.

• Advertisement

I wish I had that addiction you guys have for it. I really want to get stuck into a good strategy game. And the fact I am thinking about going all the way back to the ancient yet brilliant AOE 2 says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

i have spent more time playing civ3 then any other offline pc game. Has some annoying bugs in it (especially the Play the world expansion) but it is one of the best games ever conceived.

rts and tbs games are very different. Not sure why u thought ud like civ3 after playing aoe and yes Zero Hour is very worth getting. I also suggest u try it online tis good crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by amp
    Civ 3 has sucked days and even weeks away from my life. It's like crack-cocaine to me, I had to uninstall it and hide the cd just so I wouldn't starve to death.

I had to put my CD in the microwave and destroy it to regain my life again. God I was so addicted to that game it wasn't even funny, I can still remember my defeat of the americans and then germans two years on, god it was brilliant.

The new game on the other hand sucks, civilization galactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I like Age of Empires 2 and was hoping this would be the same but it is not. I move, you move. And the worst is it only allows me to move one box at a time. It seriously sucks. I hate it.

as a contrast i think aoe2 is fairly crap and don't particularly like those rts games in which you have a large number of resources to manage and go through those tech periods, too much micromanagement imo, limited troop numbers, attrition and all that.

i much prefare c and c just feel its more fun and has just one goal build an army capable of kicking the crap out of your opponent. the expansion pack for generals is worth getting brings quite a bit to the game i think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Civ 3 wasnt really the advance Id have hoped it would be - Call To Power already did the Civ 2 Update, and a lot of concepts and ideas from the truly excellent Alpha Centuari were ignored ( Social Engineering for gods sake !). Its still a good game though - horses for courses I guess. I for example cant stand those tank rush RTS since C&C and Dune (they at least were original). Im sure theyre good games though.
    The new game on the other hand sucks, civilization galactic.

Do you mean Galactic Civillisations? That looks fairly tame graphically but its AI is extremely challenging compared to the AI you encounter in Civ 3 for example. Id argue its a better game becuse of that, to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i loved Civ3... i love civ 1 even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Thats the one, don't get me wrong, its a good game, but kinda felt pointless/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Galactic Civilizations has nothing to do with the Civilzation series at all. It's a remake of a 1994 game that came out for OS/2. It's AI is extremely well done though, which is something all other turn-based stategy games should copy in future. Usually when you hit end turn then the computer has about 1 or 2 seconds to decide all the AI players' moves. GalCiv however is multithreaded, so the computer can be calculating the AI moves in the background while you're still taking your turn. Having a lot more than a couple of seconds to take it's turn means the AI can be much more complex. Another side effect of this is that you don't have to wait when you hit end turn, the AI moves will have already been decided.

The Civ series still out does every other game in it's genre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Civ 3 is brilliant. Haven't played it since i got CM03/04 but will get back to it soon. The play the world can be quite annoying especially the dimplomacy screen but some of the new Civs in it are quite good.

As for aoe2 I find it boring as it basically becomes a race to see who can gather resources the quickest. At least with Civ 3 you have to at least consider using different tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

I loved the 1st two civ games! should i get the third? Is it better than say civ 2? or a diff experiance all together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Nah to my mind, despite the advances like Culture, its a worse game than Civ2. Like a previous poster said they dropped the best ideas from Alpha Centauri, it also lacked the polish of Civ2 - No more wonder movies or advisory council. The Diplomacy and Ai aren't great, i hate the new naval & air combat and a lot of the new units & techs are a bit meh.
    That said its still as addictive as crack!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've loved all the Civ games in their time... can't really comment on which one's the best though - when the new one comes out it's always been so long since I've played the last one.

Can't see how Civ1 could have been better than Civ3 though... I'm sure I'd miss the extra's if I went back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Civ1 was before my time but Civ2 stole endless weeks of my life.

Turn on computer at 10. "Ok an hour of Civ then an early night." Six hours later collapse on keyboard :p

Civ3 is good but nowhere near as addictive for me (thankfully)

It was a shame that none of the nice new features that were introduced in Civ: Call To Power 1 & 2 were used in Civ III. Sid Meier seemed intent on undoing all the changes that had been made to his series, and it ended up exactly like the first 2 games.

It was a shame that none of the nice new features that were introduced in Civ: Call To Power 1 & 2

Lads Call to power 1 and 2 had NOTTING at all to do with Sid myers and the Civ 1-2-3 games

If they used the features from Ctp 1-2 in Civ 3 there might of been a law suit (again)

It's more complicated than that. Sid Meier left Micropose but they still owned the rights to the Civilization name, so Call To Power was a continuation of the series just without Meier.

oh i didnt know that

Call to power 1-2 where class games

There was a big dispute over the name. Meier wanted to use it for Alpha Centuri but Micropose wanted to make their own games with it. Don't know what happened with Civ 3, whether they let him have the rights to the series or he took them to court for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Civ 3 was good, but Civ 2 is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Civ 3 was good, but Civ 2 is better.

You mean relative to the time when they came out? Because Civ 3 is far better than Civ 2 imo, its just not an advance - more of a update.

Advertisement