Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Of course it's technically better, but with regards to addictiveness, Civ2 owns everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

civ 2 is good.... but not great...

civ 3 really does kick ass compared to all other turned based games available... but **** civ games are sure as hell adictive... all during my ****ing history exam in the leaving cert i was trying to concentrate but all i could think about was getting home and conquering the ****ing russians and how i would do it!!!!!

<
    COMPLETE SAD ACT...

P.S i got a b+ in history. honours level. used some stupid corner of my brain that had somethin small in it... barely passed tbh... ****ing civ has basically ****ed my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by Sand
    You mean relative to the time when they came out? Because Civ 3 is far better than Civ 2 imo, its just not an advance - more of a update.

Civ 2 played faster on slower machines, I know thats why my friends proferred it to civ 3, which could be a hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Has anyone here played multiplayer Civ3 with one of the expansion packs enabling it (Play The World/Conquest)?

I've been tempted to on a number of occasions, but I'd be afraid of what would happen if I did... the Leaving Cert is eating up my time, I really couldn't afford to find 24 hours or more (without exageration) gone to a multiplayer game of Civ!

As for the game itself, I find it enjoyable and addictive but I still think that theres much that could be done with it. For instance, the fact that the computer players demand unfair amounts in trading (you can't just trade one natural resource for another - you need to throw in a little extra) annoys me - sure, it makes the game more challenging, but I would have preferred superior computer AI instead of a cheap shot like that.

Civ3 fans could do well to have a look at Star Trek: Birth of the Federation if they like ST. It is very similiar to Civ, albeit in space, with actual 3D combat scenes dispersed throughout. Old now, and still a bit buggy unfortunately, but excellent in multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Civ 3 is one of the best games around the reason for this is the fact you can play it over and over again, each time different. If its not your thing, grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Michelangelo
    Sorry I have not been playing games the last ten years, let alone 3 years.

I like Age of Empires 2 and was hoping this would be the same but it is not. I move, you move. And the worst is it only allows me to move one box at a time. It seriously sucks. I hate it.

PS: I got it for free too and the update without manual.

you would probably love rise of nations . (its way better than that crappy age of empires 3) . Its made by the people that make age of empires although the designer did work on civ 2 . Its RTS and is like age of empires except you can build up ur resources quicker , i could say more but ur better off looking at a review or downloading the trial version .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Originally posted by Lyconix

As for the game itself, I find it enjoyable and addictive but I still think that theres much that could be done with it. For instance, the fact that the computer players demand unfair amounts in trading (you can't just trade one natural resource for another - you need to throw in a little extra) annoys me - sure, it makes the game more challenging, but I would have preferred superior computer AI instead of a cheap shot like that....

But AI gives you a lot of money and good resources when you have something worth trading ;) I always try getting the tech advances that I know they won't be going for and get it before them, this way you can trade your advances for 2-3 tech from them and whatever they have in the bank and some resources:D
    This is usefull, as later in the game if you don't have coal (usually rare and needed for railroads, without railroads you be wasting your time, your life :D), they will not trade with you unless you have something good, that is where the tech advances comes, just tweak around your tech strategy and try not going the same techs they will go for. Works for me all the time ;)

Civ 1,2,3... Roll on 4 :D

Advertisement