Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Fernandez RIP

• 08-03-2004 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Yes folks, *breaks out the horn music*
    The chain weilding muscleman better known as Hercules passed away on Saturday at the age of 45 due to a heart attack.

I dunno, i always liked the guy during the 80s and i thought Power and Glory were decent enough until the 1990 Survivor Series when Roma got pinned by a clothesline (although thats almost acceptable today given Bradshaw's finishing move)

I'll miss him anyway.
    Nero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Digsy

Not that i'm doubting ya , but was he not known as Hercules Hernandes rather than Fernandes in his early days ?

If it is Fernandes , was he any relation to the Raging Bull ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

He was known as Hercules Hernandez, but Hernandez Anderson was not his real name.

Nero

So no relation to Mani Fernandes then ?

I thought him and Rude were a decent team back in the old NWA , "We will rock you " was a good choice of entrance music...

Herc was brill in the 80s, the thing is he'd let himself go. He'd very little muscle definition by the time the 90s had come around, he was losing his hair. By the time 1993 came along he was a shadow of his former self. I had a hard time believing he was Super Invader for a long time. It was Herc, he'd just let himself rot. He almost looked like a mini vader at that point.

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd say it was more the Steroid/Painkiller abuse at their peaks and it all catches up on them. I know it played a big part on the deaths of both Brian Pillman and Curt Hennig. :(

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Another wrestler passing away when will it end!Power and glory were decent though and he will be remembered for that!

I'll remember his feud with the Warrior when he first came into the WWF, when the two of them were fighting over the chain and it snapped in half!

Good luck Ray, you're in a way better place now anyway.
    Nero

remember when Heenan bought Herc him off Slick , gave him a briefcase of money in backstage corridor. Then tried to sell him to Dibiase as a slave a few years later .

That's sort of hilarious shady dealings puts HHH's Bounty on Goldberg angle to shame.

They should bring back Managers , not necessarily old ones but even create new ones - Faaroog and DDP would make great dodger dealers , and it could create stables to solve the lack of angles for guys , not invasion type 40 man factions but decent Heenan Family size ones apart from Evolution.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Heenan managing him long before Slick? He became his manager around early 87 before his feud with Billy Jack Haynes? He sold him to Dibiase just after Summerslam 88 (explaining why Heenan never showed up for his match at the event) and Dibiase wanted him to be his slave, leading to the face turn. Slick became his manager after he turned heel again with Roma.

Roma was getting beaten down by Demolition or summat and The Rockers came down to help him out. Herc then came out and he and Roma turned on the Rockers, Slick was announced as their manager the following week on Superstars. Setting up their match at the 1990 Summerslam.

Unless i'm completely wrong!
    More useless information from.....

Nero
    (thank you for asking)

You're dead right about the whole Power and Glory thing , but this was Slick's second stint as Herc's manager , Hercules was part of his clan that included the Iron Sheik and Volkoff in '85 / '86 when Slick took over from Freddy Blassy.

The time Heenan bought him from Slick was in '86 , when he was building up the Heenan family - he had 8 or 9 guys at one stage.

-"WWF All Star Wrestling 8/86 (VG - 40mins)

*** Don Muraco hosts Jesse Ventura's Body Shop w/guests Blassie, Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Hercules & Slick"

Taught me a lesson anyway! In my defense, it was before i started watching it :)
    Nero

Advertisement