Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD help

Options
  • 08-03-2004 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I need some help. I got some DVDr's off of a mate but they will not play. i watched them on his machine so I know they work but when I open Power DVD it tells me there is no disc in the drive. I have also tried windows explorer but my computer is not seeing any of these discs. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Corm500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you sure they're DVDs?
    Could they possibly be VCDs?

Have a look at the contents of the Discs in Windows Explorer, and tell us what they look like..
    If they're not standard DVDs, e.g. an AVI or MPEG file, you may need to install a viewer and some Codecs to view them..

A standard DVD will typically have:
    AUDIO_TS
    VIDEO_TS folders..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

What software are you trying to use to play them? If Power DVD, there are updates around, i had the same problem myself with some DVD's

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

They will not load at all in my DVD drive.It just keeps coming up "please insert disc into drive D" even when it is in there. I would think that if it was a problem with power dvd then at least I should be able to view the files through windows explorer. My computer thinks there is nothing there. I would think so too, had I not played them on my mates stand alone player. I am confused:confused::confused:

Corm500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

What brand and model is your DVD drive .... (in XP right click on "My Computer", click manage, click on device manager, click on the '+' beside DVD/CD-ROM drives and tell us whats listed

The Make is:

hitachi DVD-rom GD-5000

Corm500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

the dvd player just isn't able to read 'em - it's as simple as that especially if the core os isn't able to pick them up as evidenced by the explorer problem. is this the first batch of dvd-r's you've tried in the machine. if others have worked and these haven't, then it's a compatibility problem i'd say.

I have had other dvdr's in the drive with no probs. I took the dvds into work today they played on the work pcs no problem. Maybe if I updated the driver ?

Corm500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

it's always worth a try i guess but can't see driver helping. the other dvdr's you tried - were they from the same mate? what burner was used to burn the dvdr's that DID work...you can start narrowing down the problem that way until you eventually might get answer such as "brand X DVDR burnt using brand Y dvd burner doesn't work in my machine"

hope this helps

Advertisement