Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to run MSN Messenger in work

Options
  • 08-03-2004 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

I've downloaded the most recent msn messenger and when I try to sign in it says my login and/or password may be incorrect. After 3 tries I'm pretty sure that I am not making any mistakes with login/password so I'm guessing its my office server that isn't allowing messenger to sign in/run or whatever.

Is there anyway around this?
    I'm only in the job for the next week and I've no work to do so messenger would be a nice way to waste time.

any help would be much appreciated!

<edit> The network is running Norton AntiVirus 5.0 if that might be affecting things? I know nothing about servers or shtuff like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

does the office have a socks server and if it does have you entered the details in the connection options in messenger

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check the proxy settings in Internet Explorer

(Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings)

Duplicate them in MSN Messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by seamus
    Check the proxy settings in Internet Explorer

(Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings)

Duplicate them in MSN Messenger.
    The IE proxy settings are set to Automatic Detection.
    The address is http://autoproxy.mycompany.co.uk:8080/

I've tried messing about with the MSN Messneger Connections, there's a drop down menu showing 'HTML' or 'Socks version 4' and 'Socks Version 5'.

when I try messenger again it pops up an error saying I'm behind a firewall.

It doesn't look good but if anyone has any more help then fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right, in MSN, choose "HTTP Proxy", in the Server box put "autoproxy.mycompany.co.uk" and in the port box put 8080.

If, when you first start up IE, a box comes up asking for a username and password, stick them in too.

Presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Your company probably has a firewall which is not permiting access. IS it a broadband connection? If its only an isdn connection you can be sure chat software like msn will be disabled. But check your proxy settings first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by seamus
    Right, in MSN, choose "HTTP Proxy", in the Server box put "autoproxy.mycompany.co.uk" and in the port box put 8080.

If, when you first start up IE, a box comes up asking for a username and password, stick them in too.

Presto.
    Right, I've done that, and then I've clicked "Sign In" on MSN messenger, put in my email address and password and then the following comes up
    "We were unable to sign you into the .NET Messenger Service, possible because of a problem with the service, your Internet connection, or your proxy settings."

Do I have to change anything in the IE Connections set up? I've changed the Messenger setup to what Seamus said.
    Your company probably has a firewall which is not permiting access. IS it a broadband connection? If its only an isdn connection you can be sure chat software like msn will be disabled. But check your proxy settings first!

I haven't a clue what the office connection is tbh. :(
    I'm guessing that they must just have a big Access Denied for anyone trying to use chat software, they probably expect me to work or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Sounds llike a firewall restriction to me! you may find some work to do!! try using yahoo messenger as there is an option in the preferences to let you pass a firewall without proxies. You might be in luck!

Advertisement