Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback??

Options
  • 08-03-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Please feel free to use this thread to bitch/moan/compliment how things ahve been ran recently.

Any and all constructive criticism very much welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

well tbh i think its time you bought myself and yourself two t shirts with Madmin on them just to make us better than the pe0ns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I think think it's time that I become madmin of the universe, but it doesn't look like that's happening........yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i think we should sort out ips before hand and save like..............10 minutes of:

"who has ip 192.168.0.?" ,
    "me"
    "well thats mine so feck off!"

:p

/me claims 192.168.0.30 as his own.

it would also help as you would know what ip's are being used instead of having to check them in leechftp/dos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

IMHO theres only one hassle free way of assigning IP Addresses for LAN's. Before everyone turns up put a piece of masking tape on each spot with a clearly written number on it. They're the final assignments and people have to use them. The addresses are sequential along the tables so if you know someones IP then others are easily worked out - It worked very well at GL6 so it'll work at GL9 (not called GLIX as it means G59) too.

The only problems with this is that in general people are _idiots_ who will either deliberately use the wrong IP resulting in duplicate IP's and collisions.

DHCP while it sounds nice will only result in people:

1) Repeatedly asking "how do I make this DHCP thing work?"
    2) Shouting incessantly when their IP changes or when they want to know someone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I will be working on the DHCP issue soon.

What I hope to do is build a database of GalwayLAN attendees, their names, nicks, desired hostnames (to be the same as their nicks, where possible, and in lowercase), and MAC addresses.
    I will then combine DHCP and a DNS server to allocate an IP locked to the MAC address of your individual cards, and that same IP will be bound to a particular hostname.
    So you simply set your machine to use DHCP, reboot, plug into the LAN and hey-presto, you should automatically have your pre-assigned IP and a hostname.
    So there won't be any more "who is 192.168.0.69???" - at all.
    Of course, this is limited to 255 possible clients for subnet of 255.255.255.0, but that can be expanded to 65535 different IPs and hostnames by using subnet 255.255.0.0, but I'd rather not do that, and it won't be neccessary for quite some time.

This will *eventually* be running off blackle, along with the IRC and TeamSpeak/whatever servers and Apache for the webpage at the lan (for tourny details etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yes, I have a complaint to make.

I dont like the fact that Kharn, Doodee and now Syxpak have gone out of their way to run the Galway lan again and again.

They've continuously managed to create a great lan, involving some great games & tournaments, some great leeching (of freeware/abandonware/shareware) and some great drinking sessions.

I'd like to comment on how, this top-notch lan has put all others to shame and as a direct result, I cant go to another without thinking about the next Galway lan.

Please, sort this out as soon as possible.

P.s. Just a sidenote I didnt plan on being as much of a kiss-ass as I ended up turning out to be. Just wanted to comment on how great Galway Lan is.

[Edit]P.p.s of course, how could I forget Leeroy Brown & Cyan (and anyone else I dont know about who help out!)[/Edit]

él fín.

We're a bunch of muppets playing about with tech ;)

And there are quite a few other faces lending a hand behind the scenes aswell, they know who they are.

Thx though, appreciated :D

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    IMHO theres only one hassle free way of assigning IP Addresses for LAN's. Before everyone turns up put a piece of masking tape on each spot with a clearly written number on it. They're the final assignments and people have to use them. The addresses are sequential along the tables so if you know someones IP then others are easily worked out - It worked very well at GL6 so it'll work at GL9 (not called GLIX as it means G59) too.

The only problems with this is that in general people are _idiots_ who will either deliberately use the wrong IP resulting in duplicate IP's and collisions.

DHCP while it sounds nice will only result in people:

1) Repeatedly asking "how do I make this DHCP thing work?"
    2) Shouting incessantly when their IP changes or when they want to know someone elses.

Why not just assign ips to people as they pay?

Either when they pay by bank before hand or when they pay on the day?

That way you can keep track of people who have payed & who has an ip etc. etc.

You can put instructions on Room101 or something on how to actually set up your ip address so as to limit the actually work you guys have to do.

Also it might encourage people to pay before the lan as getting the lowest ip or even getting 1 could be considered "l33t" by some.

But I doubt it.

I dont like DHCP at all. In fact if you guys use it, I'll let it pick up a nice ip for me and then switch to a static ip with the same ip ;)

• Advertisement

I'd set the lease-time to 5-days, and besides, the Ip would be tied to your NIC's MAC address, so it's probably more static than one you'd set yourself :)
    nothing aside from a dhcp server reconfig will change it.
    And the Ip wouldn't matter anyways as the IP would be bound to your hostname which is what would be used to connect anyways.

Ivan, I considered handing out IPs prior to the LAN before.
    I really really can't be arsed tbh.
    it involves far too much work.
    When I get everything setup and running we'll have a very smooth system, I'll have contact details for *everyone* who comes to the LANs and I will, in general, be happier with myself and less prone to sudden violent out bursts of sadistic SMBNu....nevermind...

Also, re fidning people's IPs....fire up any half decent port scanner, set the range to port 21-21 TCP and the Ip range to 192.168.0.0 - 255 and hit *go*.
    It'll run though the IPs and find all the ones running an FTPd along with the FTPd server name and version string.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

*Cough* cronjob MAC Spoof script *cough*

how about just getting some bluetack and some paper, everyone writes down their ip and sticks it to their moniter, this save you having to interrupt people in games etc. A portscan tells you which ip's are running servers, but nothing else.

you don't need to know who's machine it is if everyone has the default "leech:leech" username:password on their FTP.
    Once you're in you cn browse around and see what interests you.
    David, I'm working on implementing a really nice website/FTP spider thing.
    Just bear with it for a while, ok? :)

hehe you said assword.

Originally posted by Asok
    hehe you said assword.

hahaha, so did you!

syxpak is blackle going to be running a teamspeak server at the coming lan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Write peoples IP addresses on their foreheads with permenant marker
    (The important thing is to hold them long enough so the ink has time to dry in fully ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by Caliden
    syxpak is blackle going to be running a teamspeak server at the coming lan?

not neccessary

It's running one right now.

It'll be there to use if ye so wish.
    I'll try and get the IRCd configured (it runs but having hassle with external access to ports on the machine at the moment) aswell.

• Advertisement

Go for it.

/me has bitched at Syxpak for long enough.

Advertisement