Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Transfer Rumour's

• 08-03-2004 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, according to ALL the tabloids, Joaquin is nearly a certain to go to Chelsea at the end of the season for around 24mil.

Last week, in one of the articles that said Chelsea will get Robben (bofore it was publicly known), it also stated that Rio Ferdinand was unhappy being away from London and that Chelsea have put in a bid. That is now in a load of the papers and it looks promising for Chelsea fans.

Again if you are to believe the papers, Duff is set to move to united in part exchange for Ferdinand plus cash.

Believe what you like.

Here is just one piece for each rumour:

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has set his sights on signing Real Madrid's Luis Figo and Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand (News of the World).

Manchester United are said to be interested in a swap deal that would see Ferdinand leave Old Trafford with Damien Duff going in the opposite direction (Sunday Express).

But Chelsea are poised to snap up Manchester United target Spanish winger Joaquin from under their noses (The People).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If this is true, I can see Man United buying two experienced central defenders.

I'd absolutely love to see Duff at United, hes exactly the sort of player that they need, got so much hunger.

This would leave so so so many offensive midfielders.

Giggs - Ronaldo - Scholes - Kleberson - Miller - Duff

All competing for two or three positions :/

Maybe Fergie is really pissed at Ferdinand as it would be very easy to argue that it is his fault that United are losing the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I`m not a Utd fan, but it would be great to see Duffer at ManU, hope that works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by eirebhoy

Again if you are to believe the papers, Duff is set to move to united in part exchange for Ferdinand plus cash.

Believe what you like.

I heard that rumour too but it doesn,t add up to me. If United really wanted Duff they would have signed him last year when he stalled on signing for chelski in the hope united would buy him. it is said that united did not try sign him because they considered him to be injury prone, a view supported by the number of games he has missed this season. If he were to move it would be to replace giggs but I believe fergie has already purchase Giggs replacement in Ronaldo.

I doubt United will part wit rio easily cheaply considering the partnership he was building with sylvester. However if Chelsea really want him and a re prepared offer a swap involving Terry and Cole or a cash profit on what united paid for him united may be tempted to sell considering the current financial climate.

As Eirbhou says "Believe what you like"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by bazH
    I`m not a Utd fan, but it would be great to see Duffer at ManU, hope that works out

Duff
    Miller
    Keane
    ?????

or if you move players slightly out of position:

Duff
    Keane
    O'Shea
    Miller

:)

Wouldn't it be great.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yet another midfielder to chelsea and utd!?
    as muppet said duff wanted to move to utd but the plc were put off him by the price cant see him leaving chelsea to be honest, he has been there best player this year by far

but who knows!?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jank
    cant see him leaving chelsea to be honest, he has been there best player this year by far
    If Chelsea do get Joaquin, he will play in the right of midfield. The centre will be fought out between Makelele, Lampard, Parker and Veron. That leaves the left which is between Duff and Robben. Robben will play a lot and if he plays well Duff won't be happy sitting on thebench for half the season. I can't see him staying.

If Duf does go to United he may get the recognision he deserves. I read a Dutch person on another MB saying he is a huge supporter of the premiership but doesn't know a lot about Duff. I was shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i can't see any reason for Chelsea to sell Duff, he's been the best buy at the club and is such obvious class that only a nutcase manager would sell him, and sell him to one of 2 other rivals for the premiership ? no way.

God i hope not , and Rio ?? why ?? Gallas and Terry are a great partnership, Chelsea haven't been leaking goals this season , and I doubt Man U would let go such an established player in their line up either.

I hate all this rumour crap !! :-)

Originally posted by growler
    God i hope not , and Rio ?? why ?? Gallas and Terry are a great partnership
    So was Lampard and Makelele. Desailly will be gone in the summer and if Ranieri is still there next season he will definitely buy a centre half.
    I doubt Man U would let go such an established player in their line up either.
    They haven't got a choice really. If a player wants to go he will nearly always get his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

makalele has only been a few months at Chelsea , hardly time to form a great partnership.

Gallas, on the other hand, has been there for a few seasons now and has basically taken over from Marcel at CB. Chelsea also have the giant Huth as potential cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Huth is a gud player but he wont want to sit around and watch his career going by...he will move on in the summer...

Just like joe cole(which would be no loss)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Wouldn't believe all these rumours. Very few of them turn out to be true and usually when they are its just the papers getting lucky with a guess rather than anything half-way true being confirmed. Duff prob won't leave Chelsea, Ranieri's mum wouldn't allow it lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Wouldn't read too much into these rumours. Didn't exactly come from the most reliable of sources, did they?

I can see Chelsea buying either Joaquin or Figo but not both. They could do with proven quality on the right wing. As for Ferdinand going to Chelsea in a swap deal for Duff, that's gotta be rubbish. Given United's appalling defending since Ferdinand has been banned they'd be mad to sell him when he finally comes back from suspension.

And as for Duff going the other way, that would go down as one of the worst transfer decisions ever! Almost as bad as Houllier signing Igor Biscan for 8 million pound!:mad: Duff is the heart and soul of that team. Without him their title challenge has all but evaporated.

And as James R rightly said, Ranieri's mum wouldn't be having any of it. But then again Mr. Ranieri mightn't be around to have a say in it anyway.

The Ireland on Sunday have the Duff-Ferdinand exchange story on thei back page again today. It says Chelsea are so eager to get Ferdinand that they would be willing to part with Duff. This is the second time in the last 2 or 3 weeks this story is in the IOS and is also in other papers. It didn't just come from nothing and I really believe it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

One of the journalists on that Jimmy Hill supplement programme on Sky is convinced that Beckham will be joining Chelsea in the summer.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happening but that would be a crazy number of midfielders at Stamford Bridge.....maybe Beckham will continue to move his way back down the pitch - from right midfield -> Defensive Midfielder with Madrid -> Sweeper with chelsea? :p

Originally posted by elbow316
    One of the journalists on that Jimmy Hill supplement programme on Sky is convinced that Beckham will be joining Chelsea in the summer.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happening but that would be a crazy number of midfielders at Stamford Bridge.....maybe Beckham will continue to move his way back down the pitch - from right midfield -> Defensive Midfielder with Madrid -> Sweeper with chelsea? :p
    With all the midfielders they have, they still don't have a right sided midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I'm convinced Beckham will join Chelsea in the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Maybe Chelsea saw how sh*** Manyoo are without Rio and would like to see them stay that way:)
    They can probably afford to do that:(

Devlin denies Duff's Manchester United move rumour
    Damien Duff's representative Pat Devlin has scotched rumours that the Republic of Ireland wing wizard is set for a move from Chelsea to Old Trafford this summer.

A UK based newspaper said that Duff was unhappy with the club signing PSV Eindhoven's Arjen Robben but Devlin denied the story.

Speaking to soccercentral.ie he said "Damien signed a four year deal with the club on his move from Blackburn and has been at Stamford Bridge less than one season."

"There is no foundation to the story and Damien is totally committed to and happy at Chelsea," he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has set his sights on signing Real Madrid's Luis Figo and Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand (News of the World).
    I posted some time ago that Chelsea were in negotiations with Figo. As a result of the negotiations Madrid withdrew their contract extension offer to him and are now only offering a one year rolling contract. He had previously been told that they were prepared to let him sit out the rest of his contract on the bench.

Real have been buttering up a number of players as replacements in Spain : Vincente, Joaquin and Ronaldinho. The €45M deal for Joaquin will supposedly go through this summer if Betis don't qualify for Europe otherwise it'll be 2005.

• Advertisement

Anybody else think that if Barca go out of the UEFA cup Ronaldinho will want to move?

I'd love if United went all out and bought him :)
    Infact I'd kill someone to see him at United :)

Originally posted by PHB
    Anybody else think that if Barca go out of the UEFA cup Ronaldinho will want to move?
    Not if they continue their run in the league. Remember, Ronaldinho knew he was only going to be playing in the UEFA cup this year so if they qualify for the CL this year he will stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by PHB
    :)

Not as long as Barca pay his wages. I wouldn't want him at United now he had the option and he choose Barcelona ahead of United despite him saying at the time United was his Dream Move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

none of this rumours have a chance of happening except
    Joaquin to Chelsea , which has some foundation to it .

papers always come up with this crap and id be willing to bet my life savings Rio and Duff wont be in a swap deal together . :mad: .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If Chelsea do get Joaquin, he will play in the right of midfield. The centre will be fought out between Makelele, Lampard, Parker and Veron. That leaves the left which is between Duff and Robben. Robben will play a lot and if he plays well Duff won't be happy sitting on thebench for half the season. I can't see him staying.

If Duf does go to United he may get the recognision he deserves. I read a Dutch person on another MB saying he is a huge supporter of the premiership but doesn't know a lot about Duff. I was shocked.

Robben is no more a winger than Reyes.
    He is far more effective as a second striker.
    Duff has not got much to worry about.

I don't get this idea that they need someone on the left wing.

Ronaldo is a natural left wing player, you can see that when Giggs is rested and he is absolutely great at it.
    They need a right wing player.

I just don't see how Duff would fit in.

Second striker role is already played by Scholes, and quite frankly is is absolutely fantastic at it(best player in united imo)

So it would mean that he's willing to keep Ronaldo on the right for the rest of his time in order to put Duff on the left, even though Giggs has about 2 years lkeft in him.

Fergie is big for Squad rotation but Giggs is a special case, who nearly always plays.

I guess he could go into midfield, play alongside Keano, but I would imagine Miller/Kleberson/Double D would be trying to get their game their aswell.

Maybe he wants to move away from 4 at the back and will go for 3, I'd love to see that :)

Anyway, I just don't see where he'd fit in.

But wouldn't it be great for this to happen.
    It would not only mean Duff would be playing for Man United, which would be cool.

It would mean that the drive in Chelsea would be gone, so they won't win again for another season, and that Fergie would end up buying two new defenders :)

Win-Win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement